Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Too many bulls too soon???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Too many bulls too soon???

Postby Longshore » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hey Guys, I'm hunting a new unit to me (Az 6B) and have never been lucky to enough to draw a bull tag until now. I'm so freakin' excited that I've had trail cams up since the end of April and have been checking them every few weeks. I'm moving them around a lot just to see what's coming in and to learn different areas. No matter where I put them (in a 6 mi by 6 mi area +/-) I seem to be getting a large # of bulls compared to cows. I would guess the #'s to be 3:1. I know end of Aug and early Sept will give me a better idea of where the bulls really are BUT...is this something to be concerned with? Would you expect the bulls to stay in this area or would they typically move nearing the rut? Maybe it's a good problem to have? Thanks for any input.
Longshore

Re: Too many bulls too soon???

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I spoke with a biologist here in Idaho where they were tagging day old calves. Would have been my kind fun chasing a newborn thru the sage 30 years ago.
Anyway it is in the area we spring bear hunt.
The bulls move around a lot,.. cows and calves dont. A cow and a calf or a few cows and calves find their little place with food water and cover and stick around. We could see a cow and calf each hunt in a little 1 acre grove in a deep draw of the side of the road, Never saw them in the open
we saw bulls nearly every day while sitting on stand or moving to our stands
Your not seeing cows because your not in their nursury
All that will change as summer progresses
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Too many bulls too soon???

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Holy cow, I wish I had that problem! LOL! Sounds like you just placed your cameras in bachelor areas weather by chance or on purpose.

Anyhow, come September, those bulls should be where the cows are. So find those cow areas and you will be in the chips when the rut happens. Also, with a high bull to cow ratio, the competition should be magnified and the bugling and rut activity should be off the charts. This should make your calling efforts some what easier.

Congratulations on you luck of the draw and good luck on your hunt.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics