Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Started Your Interest in Elk Hunting?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Started Your Interest in Elk Hunting?

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 1]

What started your interest in hunting elk? Was it a friend, curiosity, watched a hunting video, or was it just in your DNA? George Armstrong Custer is in my ancestry and was a big hunter. So I would have to say it is in my blood. Image
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Re: What Started Your Interest in Elk Hunting?

Postby planebow » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I grew up in eastern Oregon where my grandfather and dad was hunters and from the time I was old enough to carry a rifle I was hunting something. I started hunting with a bow in 1963. Never really got into elk hunting until I moved to Montana in the 70's
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Freebird134 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 3]

My family didn't elk hunt. I grew up mule deer and pronghorn hunting around southern Idaho, but there weren't any elk real close to Twin Falls. When I went to college at the University of Idaho, I was in elk country! I lived in a dorm that was for only Natural Resource majors (wildlife, fisheries, forestry, etc), so there were a lot of hunters in there! Being in elk country, surrounded by guys that were excited about elk hunting.....well, it's just contagious!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby sockeye » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I grew up huntin upland bird/waterfowl in Eastern washington. Then after the military moved to Montana and met my father-in-law who stated , that if I was to be married to his daughter I better learn to archery hunt elk so he had a hunting partner. Since my first season 1996 I have been hooked. We still hunt together. Going to Montana with him this year, first time back there in a while.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby Elksniper1 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I Got started chasing elk as an invite during rifle season. By an older friend and I still blame him for it. It was two years of rifle hunting before I started wanting to get them in my face, slobbering and red eyed and have loved every minute of it.
Elksniper1

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 6]

My Father-in-law get the credit for elk.
He put me in for a draw in Montana for all the brother-in-laws. My wife and I were living in Washington State. I was one of two in our camp of 12 that killed a rifle elk that week.
A friend in Washington brought me along on a 2-day Washington State rifle hunt,
My fatherin law put me in on that same Montana hunt a few years later.
I drew on a Utah CWMU cow hunt with a neighbor. and killed a cow
Then Moving to Idaho my father-in law put me in on another Idaho Trophy hunt We drew and I killed a bull.
After our move to Idaho a neighbor kept after me to archery hunt,.. I bought his bow, started practicing, this will be my 4th year archery hunting,.. he sure gets upset now,... his work keeps him busy and he has to listen to my elk hunting stories.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I started hunting with my dad when I was 7 or 8. I was allowed to carry a 22 rimfire while he was hunting deer. I don't remember if I had any cartridges in the gun or not. I could not shoot at anything except maybe a tin can on an old logging site. I got my first license at age 12 and killed my first buck at 13. I progressed to hunting elk as soon as dad allowed me to go with him. At age 12 he thought it was important for me to be in school. By the time I was 14 he knew it didn't matter where my body was during deer and elk season. My mind was on hunting, so I was allowed to go along. Elk hunting may not be in my DNA but on the other hand it could.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby DominicV » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Grew up hunting deer and then moved to Oregon 22 yrs ago. At first it was just another thing to hunt until 16 yrs ago my father inlaw introduced me to the bow. Now it is an addiction, a way of life the tought of being in em gets the blood flowing. I can remember the first close in bugle and the feeling of my hair standing up. It doesn't matter if its the first bugle of the season or the hundredth my adrenalin still gets going.
DominicV

First Name: Dominic
Last Name: Valloni