Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Evidence of Sex for Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Evidence of Sex for Elk

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Oregon makes hunters prove evidence of sex for any elk taken. See ODFW law below.

Evidence of sex for deer and elk which will NOT be taken out of Oregon is: Either the animal’s scalp (including attached eyes and ears if the animal is female; or ears, antlers and eyes if the animal is male) OR the head naturally attached to at least one quarter of the carcass OR reproductive organs (testicles, scrotum, penis, vulva, udder, mammary) naturally attached to one quarter of the carcass or to another major portion of meat as described below for animals leaving the state of Oregon.

Evidence of sex for deer and elk which will be taken out of Oregon is: For Buck and Bull Hunts: Either the head with antlers naturally attached to at least one quarter of the carcass or the reproductive organs (testicles, scrotum, or penis) naturally attached to one quarter of the carcass or to another major portion of meat. For hunts with antler restrictions, if the head is not attached to the carcass, in addition to leaving the reproductive organs naturally attached to one quarter of the carcass or to another major portion of meat, the head or skull plate with both antlers naturally attached shall accompany the carcass or major portions of meat.

At times, we can kill elk 7 miles into wilderness. My typical style is to debone the elk, then cut the horns off the head but this could get me into a little trouble. So what would everyone recommend, head or reproductive organs? If reproductive organs is your recommendation, how would you keep it from spoiling the meat on the pack out?

Thanks in advance!
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Evidence of Sex for Elk

Postby Freebird134 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 2]

So could you cut off the top of the skull, as long as you keep the eyes and ears in there? Seems like a heck of a saw job.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby planebow » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 3]

We have to leave proof of sex here in Montana also. The best way to do this is carry a plastic bag that can be tied around the sex organs and leave them on one quarter.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Colorado has the same evidence of sex regulation. We bone out all of our elk to pack out. We do not 1/4. As long as we leave the nut sac naturally attached to a large portion of meat from the hind 1/4 it has been accepted by the local game warden until we process it or take it to a meat processer. I usually put a sandwich baggy over the sac held by a rubber band or string to keep the hair off the meat. Antlers naturally attached is not evidence of sex. I see hunters every year getting busted for this mistake. To transport big game into Calif. Big game can not have any portion of the scull naturally attached and no portion of the spine to prevent CWD from spreading. Another error I see hunters make is putting the tag on the antlers or leg. It has to be on a portion of the meat being transported.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Evidence of Sex for Elk

Postby Freebird134 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I'm really really happy we don't have to pack elk balls in baggies in Idaho!
Freebird134

Postby JoeH2o » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Freebird134 wrote:I'm really really happy we don't have to pack elk balls in baggies in Idaho!

Idaho requires proof of sex. genitals or head, but who wants to pack out a head?
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Evidence of Sex for Elk

Postby Freebird134 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Well dang if you ain't right. This question came up a couple weeks ago and elknut made the point that it doesn't matter in either sex units. But I just checked the regs: legally you do need to leave genitals attached if you cut off the head. Dang it!
Freebird134

Evidence of Sex for Elk

Postby Freebird134 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 8]

It's even the first listed under common violations!
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341585233.276624.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341585233.276624.jpg (58.67 KiB) Viewed 9517 times
Freebird134

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Idaho
No reason to carry out the big balls,.. just the empthy sack they came with(LOL)

Deer, elk and pronghorn: If the head or antlers are removed,
evidence of sex in the form of testicles, penis, scrotum, udder
or vulva must remain naturally attached to the carcass or parts
thereof on all harvested big game animals until they reach the
final place of storage or personal consumption, or a commercial
meat processing facility.
Antlers or horns removed from the head must be left naturally
attached to the skull plate where size, point or brow-tine
restrictions apply, and they must accompany the carcass or
parts thereof.
Black bears, mountain lions and gray wolves: External
evidence of sex in the form of testicles, penis, scrotum or vulva
must be left naturally attached to the hide until the mandatory
check requirement has been satisfied.
In seasons restricted to mule deer only or white-tailed deer
only, if the head is removed, the fully-haired tail must be left
naturally attached to the carcass until it reaches the final place
of storage or personal consumption, or a commercial meat
processing facility
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Sorry John: But your Thread heading made me chuckle,. :shock: :lol: . Just so many ways to answer that question with C class humor
Evidence of Sex for Elk

My first thought was" baby elk",.. maybe a condem dispenser in the aspen grove :oops: ,... or a big smile on the cows :P ,.. you get the point
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Freebird134 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:Sorry John: But your Thread heading made me chuckle,. :shock: :lol: . Just so many ways to answer that question with C class humor
Evidence of Sex for Elk

My first thought was" baby elk",.. maybe a condem dispenser in the aspen grove :oops: ,... or a big smile on the cows :P ,.. you get the point

Wow. I have a dirty mind, and I didn't even read it that way! We get your point--now stop. This could get graphic fast!!!!
Freebird134

Postby Goneelkn » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 12]

A picture is worth a thousand words!!!

elk.jpg
elk.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 9504 times
Goneelkn

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Kids close your eyes! :-)
JohnFitzgerald