Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Which week of September is your favorite and why?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Which week of September is your favorite and why?

Postby elkaholic » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Do you like to get first crack at the elk during the first week? Or do you like getting after them the second week when the bulls are starting to think about cows and beginning that beautiful thing (the rut). Perhaps you like the 3rd and possibly the 4th week where things are in full swing! Bulls screaming and love is in the air... :lol:
What is your favorite week of the September hunt and why?
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Re: Which week of September is your favorite and why?

Postby elkaholic » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I like that second week where the bulls are searching out the cows with more intensity and beginning to form the herds. The activity may not be as intense as later in the season when the rut takes full swing. But I like the fact the bulls are still gathering their cows and may seem a little more inclined to come check me out than that 3rd week.
elkaholic

Postby foxvalley » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 3]

If I had only one week it would sept 15-22. Seems like the action is hot at this time, and because it's mostly all dark,thick timber,sound is huge.Second choice would be sept.22-29. Lots of fustrated satelite bulls running around.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Sept. 15-25 is my # 1 choice if I had to choose! However, I enjoy the whole month as each week presents its own set of challenges! (grin) I like having the bulls cowed up not before. This gets them defensive which in turn makes them very vulnerable to the aggressive elk hunter/caller!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eltaco » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I like the opening week for a variety of reasons. I scout hard for a while before season and typically have a good idea what's around before I start my hunt. There are very few people who come up to my area opening week... I've had it all to my self a few years. I call a lot during this time and have a LOT of Elk come in silent just looking to see who the new elk are. We generally get a few bulls fired up this week, really depends on the day tho. Overall, with the low pressure and curious and sometimes aggressive elk, first week is a great week for us.

3rd week in CO is muzzleloader season, so I typically take the last week off as well... but its not been anywhere near as productive for me as that opening week... I think in part because some elk have been pushed out if the area by Muzzy hunters.
eltaco

Postby dreamingbig » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Washington state limits us to the two weeks after labor day weekend so this year it is September 4th to the 16th. I would prefer the 14th to the 21st if I had to pick one week in September.
dreamingbig

Postby ctdad » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I've hunted the second week and fourth week of Colorado's season. On one hand, it is nice to hunt before the muzzle loader hunters b/c the elk seem to be a bit less spooky. However, in the fourth week (after muzzle loader), the rut is much more in full swing. Trying fourth week again this year. I noticed that next year, the muzzle loader season in Colorado will be during the fourth week of archery, so I'll probably hunt the third week next year. Now if they would just move muzzle loader back one more week so it was after archery season.

One of my friends says it doesn't matter that muzzle loader hunters are out there shooting or if they have been recently. Hunting is the same no matter what in his opinion. What do you guys think?
ctdad

Postby Freebird134 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 8]

14-22....but only because that's when we'll be hunting :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby stringunner » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 9]

In eastern Oregon I like first week only because the animals have been less disturbed. The area we hunt is packed with hunters 3rd and 4th week and the elk tend to herd up and stay on private as a result, they are still around just harder to locate and hunt. We have seen more, called more and been more successful hunting 1st week but....I generally take 3 weeks off during the season, so if I still have a tag in my hand after the end of the 1st week, I'm of course going to hunt 3rd and 4th week. I don't bother going up around labor day as the area gets pounded with folks just camping and running around on 4 wheelers, I find the elk get pushed around more this week than any other.
stringunner

Postby POk3s » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I like whatever week it happens to be whenever I'm in the elk woods. Nothing is better then September. I've been lucky enough to kill my two archery bulls during the "first week" you could call it. One was on September 3rd and the other was on September 9th. I will be hunting them the second half of september this year however since I have a deer tag to concentrate on during the first half of September. Honestly hoping I find that big boy during all this scouting time, shoot him the first weekend of the season and then head up to elk camp for the rest of September. Less 56 days left until that magic month (or something like that) :)
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Last two weeks of bow season are my favorite. However, I rarely hunt the last weekend because everyone roles in looking for one more chance. If that happens I usually head home.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby eltaco » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 12]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:Last two weeks of bow season are my favorite. However, I rarely hunt the last weekend because everyone roles in looking for one more chance. If that happens I usually head home.

You're telling us if you have a tag in your pocket with 2-3 days left of the season, you pack it up? I couldn't take that... the offseason is too long to give in early!
eltaco

Postby sockeye » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Last two weeks are my favorites. Usually the weather turns enough I can hang the elk in my garage and can process when convenient.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby PRIMAL-ARCHERY » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Ingoing to take any week that puts me chasing elk.....this year will be my first time hunting early sept... can't hardly wait..
PRIMAL-ARCHERY

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 15]

eltaco wrote:
JohnFitzgerald wrote:Last two weeks of bow season are my favorite. However, I rarely hunt the last weekend because everyone roles in looking for one more chance. If that happens I usually head home.

You're telling us if you have a tag in your pocket with 2-3 days left of the season, you pack it up? I couldn't take that... the offseason is too long to give in early!

Figured I'd take a beat'n on this one! :-) After two solid weeks of hunting, I don't see it as "giving up" but do see it as conceding to the masses. Never once regretted going home after the last Saturday morning hunt.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Ridgernr » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Opening weekend has been good for us , we usually hunt the third week for our main hunt.
I agree with John if we havent tagged out by the last weekend Sunday is our day to call it a season.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I always prefer the first week. By far, that is the week I have killed most of my elk. That week it is hot and dry usually, and elk are coming in frequently to water. It doesn't hurt that friends and family are often in camp then also.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby mongopino915 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Any week that is opened for elk archery is my favorite. Hunt equally hard, manage to find, call in elk, and enjoy the different phases of the rut whether it's early, middle, or late into the season. Still looking for that opening weekend success so I can really enjoy the aspen turn from the campsite.
mongopino915

Postby elkchaser503 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 19]

all of them. the only week i haven't killed a elk is the second week but then again i'd still hunt it if that's the only time i could get off
elkchaser503

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 20]

September 15th til the end of the season or as long as archery season is in. Actually all parts of the season have their good points. Any day elk hunting is good.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby elkaholic » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 21]

True.. Any day elk hunting is better than a day in the office..
elkaholic

Postby Buckriser » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 22]

This year my favorite will be September 26th - October 4th. LE Elk tag
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby Buglemaster » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 23]

For me, its anytime after the 14th. I've gone early several years just to beat the muzzy guys & have been disapointed every time. Hot weather & no bugling just isnt what I'm looking for. I spend 365 days a year dreaming about screaming bulls & the adrenalin rush of watching a bull come to my calls & personally feel the last couple of weeks in the season I stand alot better chance for experiencing that.If time allows, I do slip up there early, but it is more of a scouting adventure than a hunt...altho, I'm nock'd & ready to rock if the situation requires. ;)
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby mattstanton » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 24]

I love the opening week but my favorite week is arount the 23rd of september. The bulls are always fired up at that time and ready to play.
mattstanton

Postby easeup » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 25]

this is always a tough question for the NR hunter. I have managed to take bulls in each week of Sept at one time or another. And the muzzy guys have not really messed me up either, however, that week in CO when the muzzy guys come in, there are certainly more hunters in the woods to compete with. so for that reason alone, is usually why I might shy away from the 3rd week. Everyone wants to the mountain to himself; it is normal. Early season experience is like some have mentioned above, it is hotter and the bulls are likely to come in silent and alone, which for some reason can make for easier shots ( meaning you are already set up and you see him coming in and you have your yardage all figured out before hand, and there are not so many eyes and ears to fool).
easeup

Postby six » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Ive never hunted the first week. I have hunted the second third and fourth. I would stay away from the muzzleloader week. The smoke pole guys seem to have a different strategy. We had 8 guys hunting with muzzle loaders in our area the year we went. The second and fourth weeks are good for the the ressons stated above.
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 27]

six, can you define their "different strategy" ?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby six » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 28]

10 years ago I watched a guy drive his truck to a natural gas wellhead. He got out of the truck, leaned his muzzle loader against the back bumper, sat on the tailgate and bugled. I couldn't resist throwing a bugle back at him. From behind a tree of course. Not a tactic I would consider while bow hunting.
I'm sure not all muzzloader hunters are like this, but that tactic has stuck in my head ever since.
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 29]

six, I wouldn't exactly say that what the MZ guy did was a method per say, I'm sure he was just testing the waters. If he receive a legitimate bugle he'd probably get after the bull! I've called from a road many times myself but it's not my goto way! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mongopino915 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 30]

six wrote:Ive never hunted the first week. I have hunted the second third and fourth. I would stay away from the muzzleloader week. The smoke pole guys seem to have a different strategy. We had 8 guys hunting with muzzle loaders in our area the year we went. The second and fourth weeks are good for the the ressons stated above.

I know the feeling. Last season, while working a responsive bull, we had a smoke pole hunter intercept and took the bull down, no more than 100 yards in front of us. We were disgusted and disappointed but it is public land. In my opinion, it is poor sportsmanship but we just opted to walk away with no confrontation.

This season, I will be hunting the Muzzle-loading week (again) and last week. A couple of friends do have Muzzle-loading tag and I will try help them out. I do not hold anything against the smoke pole hunters. The state allows it and if I were to feel otherwise, I could always choose to avoid the smoke pole season.
mongopino915

Postby 32hunter » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 31]

I love the week that is printed on my elk tag this year its the 1st -10th. i am hoping the rut starts a little early in the gilla but either way i will hunt hard and have a wonderful time.
32hunter

First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Griego