Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

calls i all ready know for elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

calls i all ready know for elk

Postby shorthair15 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 1]

ive been practicing my calling im getting good at cow calling,bugling,grunting ok at lip bawling. i can do soft chuckles cant do the louder ones yet. trying add voice to my chuckle for herd bull sounds but im haveing problems. will keep trying. are the calls i all ready know enough to call a bull in all ready. ive harvested my first elk in 2010 it was a 4x3 with a rifle. last year i was within 10 yards of a bull but could not see his head to confirm he was a legal bull. im now hunting archery.ive been hunting elk the last 4 years as i was in the military for a long time and i did not have any free time to hunt elk as i was deployed alot. thanks
shorthair15

First Name: scott
Last Name: dyer

Re: calls i all ready know for elk

Postby T/H » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 2]

shorthair15 wrote:ive been practicing my calling im getting good at cow calling,bugling,grunting ok at lip bawling. i can do soft chuckles cant do the louder ones yet. trying add voice to my chuckle for herd bull sounds but im haveing problems. will keep trying. are the calls i all ready know enough to call a bull in all ready. ive harvested my first elk in 2010 it was a 4x3 with a rifle. last year i was within 10 yards of a bull but could not see his head to confirm he was a legal bull. im now hunting archery.ive been hunting elk the last 4 years as i was in the military for a long time and i did not have any free time to hunt elk as i was deployed alot. thanks

of course the calls you know how to produce are enough to "get the elk job done" if...............

you know when to use them. i'm still struggling with that one a little myself but don't claim to be very good at my calling yet either
T/H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

First of all.. Thanks for your service shorthair15. It's guys just like you that allow us to hunt and enjoy freedom in the greatest country on earth.. That said, you've came to the right place.. Welcome! Dig around in the forum, including the tips and tactics on top and the Elknut video clips.. and, practice, practice, practice... Follow our "post up your elk sounds" threads and hear what the guys post up and the comments they receive. Oh, did I mention... practice, practice, practice. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby mongopino915 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Welcome to Elknut forum.

As Phamtom16 stated, the Tips and Tactics section is the condensed version of Paul's Playbook and you will not find anyone else giving these crucial elk tips for free. Elk calling and archery is a never ending learning lesson. The more you know, the better off you will be in the wood.

Once a awhile, we do get lucky and call elk in to bow range without much preparation but to consistently call in elk requires lots of preparation up front, including practice, practice, practice and more practice. It is not so much how good you sound to the human ear but the emotion and meaning behind your sound to the elk. Watch lots of elk video, listen to real elk sound and understand the meaning behind the sound. If you can match the elk sound to the body language and feel its meaning, you can then create and present your own elk stage to counter any elk situation in the wood. When elk communicate via silently, vocally and/or natural sound, the sounds they hear or don't hear make perfect sense to them. As a caller, we have to be able to blend in as some of these elk on OTC pressured areas are pretty well educated and can easily recognize a fake elk sound. Not sure if I am making sense.

Have fun making elk sound. Your Bugling Bull's diaphragms are just as good, if not, one of the best out there.
mongopino915

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

The calls you have learned are plenty good enough to call an elk to you. As time goes by, you will learn more sounds plus how and when to use them. One good call to learn that works just about every time is the nervous bark. Also called the nervous grunt or popping grunt. Knowing when to use that one has put many elk int the freezer. Paul has an excellent video on how to use this sound in the Elknut Video Clips section of this forum. Check it out!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics