Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Contest Ideas?????

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Contest Ideas?????

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Guys & Gals, we've been racking our brains (small as that might be) in an effort to have a Contest for several products including the New Vortex Rangefinder 1000 as top prize! We want a Contest that is fair to all! No big bull or Rack sizes or anything like that, something where all have an equal chance at the various prizes! Any thoughts??????

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Contest Ideas?????

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I guess the old hat trick would meet your design criterion. It is not very creative, but it works. Put all of the names of the people, registered on this site, into a hat and draw out one, two or whatever you decide.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 6t4nova » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

How about starting a thread that asks a question about elk hunting goals for 2012 or something similar. No correct or incorrect answers, set a end date for replies and then use the hat trick that Swede mentioned to pull names from.
6t4nova

Postby The Doc » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

how about a shooting contest? over on the muzzleloader sight they have you shoot at a piece of paper at a certan distance, then send it in. they even add some major challenges like standing on one foot,long distance , hold breath long time , laying flat on ground etc., they dont give stuff away , just braggin rights
The Doc
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby PRIMAL-ARCHERY » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I always enjoy a good story. It doesn't matter if it involves harvesting a animal or not. I feel I learn as much if not more through another persons experiences whiter they shot a animal or not. So how about a story of your 2012 elk hunt.(yep you have to pick just one hunt) Everyone gets one vote, best story wins. At the very least it would make for some good reading..
PRIMAL-ARCHERY

Postby PRIMAL-ARCHERY » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

On a side note I hate the auto correction on a phone..
PRIMAL-ARCHERY

Postby Goneelkn » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Random would be best and most fair. Some people are better story tellers. Some people are better photographers. Some people have more trail cams out. Etc, etc.
Goneelkn

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 8]

A. General elk knowledge quiz with XX amount of questions. Would make folks do a bit of research, enhancing their elk IQ. Would need to get XX percent correct and if so, their names go into the hat for the prize drawings.

B. Bugling/elk sounds contest. Could have a beginner, intermediate, and advanced categories of callers. Mr. Elknut and other calling experts would judge them, or, could actually post up the top callers in each category on a thread and have the good folks of the Elknut forum vote on them. That might be fun.

C. Submit a short writing on why you're hooked on elk hunting. This is similar to what some of the others have recommended and it's darn good reading :) Again, as long as you've posted a short essay, your name goes into the hat for the prize drawings.

Just some rambling thoughts on a break at work :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby POk3s » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I like all of phantom's ideas....any of those would work for me, as well as your 2012 elk story. Being that this is a site focused mostly around elk vocalizations I think a little calling contest would fit nicely!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby elkmtngear » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 10]

You could have everyone submit an elk hunting photo to gain entry on the contest thread, and then number the entries one through whatever, and run the final number on random.com, or some other number generator. That way, everyone gets to enjoy the pics, but they are not judged on image quality, size of rack, etc. Winner would be the result of lady luck!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby 2OArchery » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 11]

+1 on elkmtngear. Something everyone can participate in and its enjoyable for everyone involved. I love looking at elk pics!!!
2OArchery

Postby stringunner » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I like a calling entry as phantom has said but perhaps instead of "choosing a winner" based on sound, quality, etc. Everyone who participates gets put in for a random drawing.

I think it would be fun to ask folks to submit the 5 basic sounds you have mentioned regularly as sounds all elk hunters beginner or advance should learn. That way we can all hear them and hear the variations of each from different folks.
stringunner

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 13]

stringunner wrote:I like a calling entry as phantom has said but perhaps instead of "choosing a winner" based on sound, quality, etc. Everyone who participates gets put in for a random drawing.

I think it would be fun to ask folks to submit the 5 basic sounds you have mentioned regularly as sounds all elk hunters beginner or advance should learn. That way we can all hear them and hear the variations of each from different folks.

I like this idea!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby mattstanton » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 14]

as this is elknut.com, and paul has helped so many of us improve our calling, I say a calling contest would be awesome! Either submit a routine of herd talk and bugles or have a list of calls that must be made. Have paul and the crew pick their top 10. Post them up on the site for the members of the forums to vote on. then rank them 1 through 10.
mattstanton

Postby LckyTylr » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I like the elk hunting photo by elkmtngear . . . . . . except that I still haven't killed an elk. :(

This WILL be the year.

I think Phantom is on the right track, any way that we could come up with a trifecta combination? Have short story, elk sounds, and IQ test . . . . . . place points on each . . . . .
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby T/H » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Phantom16 wrote:A. General elk knowledge quiz with XX amount of questions. Would make folks do a bit of research, enhancing their elk IQ. Would need to get XX percent correct and if so, their names go into the hat for the prize drawings.

B. Bugling/elk sounds contest. Could have a beginner, intermediate, and advanced categories of callers. Mr. Elknut and other calling experts would judge them, or, could actually post up the top callers in each category on a thread and have the good folks of the Elknut forum vote on them. That might be fun.

C. Submit a short writing on why you're hooked on elk hunting. This is similar to what some of the others have recommended and it's darn good reading :) Again, as long as you've posted a short essay, your name goes into the hat for the prize drawings.

Just some rambling thoughts on a break at work :) RJ

i like it
T/H

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Bump, more feedback from forum users?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 18]

stringunner wrote:I like a calling entry as phantom has said but perhaps instead of "choosing a winner" based on sound, quality, etc. Everyone who participates gets put in for a random drawing.

I like this idea or phantoms idea of knowledge would also be a great idea.
Jahnke76

Postby Swede » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 19]

If we want a purely guessing contest, how about "who in the Elknut gang will kill the biggest bull, and on what day of the season?' Elknut can list who are all of those that are part of the Worse Than Wolves crew. As a tie breaker guess the score on the bull. I don't care for the idea of posting of elk calling as it will eliminate all who do not have the necessary equipment. Just a thought.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wapitibowman » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I like the elk calling contest, broken up into different levels. The forum members vote.
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby ctdad » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 21]

I vote for a random draw of the hat of either 1. all members of the message board or 2. all members who sign up for the drawing. I was leaning toward calling contest but agree with Swede that all may not be able to compete.

If a calling contest occurs, I'd vote for a random drawing of all who participate.
ctdad

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Thanks a bunch guys for the feedback! We were also wanting this contest to be one that attracted others into registering too! This Forum is doing absolutely awesome because of everyones participation, actually it's phenomenal!! I want to thank everyone for helping out, guess what, it's even getting better as ones relate their experiences & thoughts on their real life adventures, that's hard to beat & it's all done with respect for all individuals & their thoughts. Thanks a bunch for all getting along! Awesome!

Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkohalic » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 23]

I can't seem to get sound cloud to work for me so a calling contest would be out for me.
I like the idea of submitting a picture, could be anything related to elk hunting. Mountain pics, harvest photos, truck stuck in a mud hole, whatever!!! Then a random choice of all the entries.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby foxvalley » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 24]

elkohalic wrote:I can't seem to get sound cloud to work for me so a calling contest would be out for me.
I like the idea of submitting a picture, could be anything related to elk hunting. Mountain pics, harvest photos, truck stuck in a mud hole, whatever!!! Then a random choice of all the entries.

I like the picture idea also elkohalic.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton