Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Snakes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Snakes

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I will be in colorado this fall and was wondering if poisonious snakes are an issue at all.
Jahnke76

Re: Snakes

Postby Freebird134 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Snakes aren't poisonous.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Buglemaster » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

venomous Jahnke.. :roll: To answer your question, it all depends on where you will be hunting. I've killed some big rattlers hunting elk just north of Steamboat Spgs. Could'nt believe it as I've never seen a rattler anywhere else in the mountains here in Colo.There's also a limit on them so be shure to read the colo rules & regs... ;)
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I'll admit, I hate hunting rattler country! I always felt that if I stay away from them they'll stay away from me! (grin) When I was growing up they were in all my hot fishing areas in CA, I've given quite a few of them a dirt nap!! I hate rattlers!!!! This doesn't answer the question but I feel better! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Freebird134 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Buglemaster wrote:venomous Jahnke.. :roll:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a jerk! :) Mixing up venomous/poisonous has always been a pet peeve. When I taught Zoology in Florida, I'd always make the students identify a cottonmouth as one question, then follow up with "is it poisonous?" You'd be surprised how many undergrads miss that, even after I made the point repeatedly.

And speaking of cottonmouths.... Talk about something to worry about! I grew up running into rattlesnakes in southern Idaho, and they'd make my heart race a little, but they were never a problem. Rattlesnakes warn you that you are too close (usually) and then slither away. Water moccasins are aggressive. I've had two occassions where they came at me, leaving me running at full speed: once fishing and once bowhunting hogs. If you are afraid of some rattlers, you'd have a heart attack in the swamp!
Freebird134

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Freebird134 wrote:
Buglemaster wrote:venomous Jahnke.. :roll:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a jerk! :) Mixing up venomous/poisonous has always been a pet peeve. When I taught Zoology in Florida, I'd always make the students identify a cottonmouth as one question, then follow up with "is it poisonous?" You'd be surprised how many undergrads miss that, even after I made the point repeatedly.

And speaking of cottonmouths.... Talk about something to worry about! I grew up running into rattlesnakes in southern Idaho, and they'd make my heart race a little, but they were never a problem. Rattlesnakes warn you that you are too close (usually) and then slither away. Water moccasins are aggressive. I've had two occassions where they came at me, leaving me running at full speed: once fishing and once bowhunting hogs. If you are afraid of some rattlers, you'd have a heart attack in the swamp!

I realized my mistake! I think I was half asleep when I typed that. I meant venomous. I cant stand snakes but I was just wondering if it was something to worry about or not. Just one more thing I just wanted to educate myself on.
Jahnke76

Postby elkmtngear » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I hunted the Flat Tops for about 12 years, and never did see a rattler. I would say chances are pretty slim you'll run into one in the high country, depending on exactly where you will be of course.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby bearman da man » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Grew up in the Steamboat Springs area and yes, I ran into a rattler on the road near Mad Creek Village north of Steamboat while on a horse pack trip. Anyway, snakes are the least of your problems. Now if you see a Mtn. Lion with a rattle on it's tail, get the he** out of there!!
bearman da man

Postby Freebird134 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 9]

bearman da man wrote:Now if you see a Mtn. Lion with a rattle on it's tail, get the he** out of there!!

If you see a mountian lion with a rattle on its tail, I say take a picture. All I can imagine is a cougar stalking through the woods with maracas on it's tail, sneaking around with a little latin rhythm :)
Freebird134

Postby ctdad » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 10]

It is unlikely Jahnke was concerned about eating a snake and getting sick from it while elk hunting (which is what a poisonous snake would create, if it existed).

I saw a couple rattlers up in the rocks up high last year. They rattled when I got close and I got close enough to see them and then went the other way. Made me wonder what I would do at 11,000 ft if I got a "venomous" bite and how I was going to get off of the mountain. Going back this year to the same spot so I guess it didn't bother me too much. Problem was there was a really big herd bull that was up there chasing cows around and it was just too tempting to join him. Didn't kill him though.....yet.
ctdad