Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand Elk

Postby cnelk » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Let's discuss any or all input regarding tree stand hunting elk.
I have taken a couple elk from a tree stand, but curious to hear what works for you.

How high is your stand?

Over water or wallow?

Near a trail?

Sit mornings or evenings? All day?

What do you do during those long hours for entertainment?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Tree Stand Elk

Postby foxvalley » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I've spent days in a tree stand, sometimes all day,ouch! most of the time 4 hours in the morning and evening.Very uncomfortable sitting all day. Because of the steep slope I get up 20- 25 feet usually over a wallow. I have killed elk both in the morning and evening out of a stand, but when the thermals are going down, does,nt seem to matter how high you are,scent eventually hits the ground. Now, when the thermals go down, I sit on the ground right next to the seep as low as I can.(Sometimes right in the middle) My scent now is mostly following the creek down in a thin ribbon.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Swede » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I really agree with Foxvalley including how hard it is for me to sit all day. I get out of my stand for about three hours during the day. I know elk can come in while I am gone, but I need a break, and if that means an occasional one gets away; oh well. That has happened several times in the past, plus sometimes when I get back to my stand, the elk are waiting for me and getting a free drink. I would explain the explanation on the thermals a little differently. Foxvalley is correct in saying, you can be busted even if you are higher, but I have found I reduce the likelyhood of having a down draft bust me, by setting up a little ways back from the bottom of a basin where possible, and going up about 30 feet. There is a limit in how high I will go up a tree. Foxvally's way of dealing with down drafts is definately good. I have done that also, but sometimes I just go somewhere else for awhile.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

When I do sit a stand or ground blind it's early morning or late evening, no way could I last all day, it takes a special breed to do that! (grin) I prefer well used trails or water, all elk water but not all hit wallows! (grin) If you want "any elk" stick with active trails & water!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 5]

How far back are most of these treestands being hung and are any of you packing stands in with you in case good opportunities to hunt treestands arise? I ask these questions because I won't have a chance to scout on site before this fall and I won't be able to set stands up ahead of time. My father is interested in trying this method and I think it will help him stay rested during the hunt. If we end up setting up camp 2-3 miles back in should I haul a stand in with us in case we find a good spot for it, or should I leave it at the truck and make the hike back for it after we locate a spot to hang it? I like being open to all available options when I'm out hunting. Wondering how guys address using treestands when on 7-10 day out of state hunts.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

We take a lot of things with us "just in case". I don't know about that idea. It would depend on the area you are hunting, and what can be seen on a good topo map and Google Earth. Personally I have never done it the way you are proposing. I check out the area first then decide if I want to haul in my stand and set up. There is no right or wrong answer. How much can you carry?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

That's a question that is yet to be determined. From a strictly hauling circumstance, a lot because I'm a big boy. But in the mountains on the first time out, I'd probably be overestimating my ability. The treestand i'd be hauling would be a lightweight set-up, but with sticks still in the 22 lb. range. I'm thinking it'd be a decent idea if its not too heavy on my pack going in just in case, but if we dont end up having a place for it, it's a big waste. Walking out to get it wouldnt be the greatest idea either, but I suppose if it's a slow day maybe it's not a big loss? Just curious as to setups and if guys will hike out miles to set up the stand.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Dirty D » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I found a spot years ago where several main trails intersect. I use a climbing stand and climb about 20 feet up and will sit all day if need be. Not my favorite way to hunt elk but in this particular spot, percentage wise, it's my best odds.

The one thing that' has really grow on me from stand hunting is how much more you get to be an observer of nature vs. tramping through it (and I love to tramp through it) you really do get to see things being perched up high that you'd otherwise miss.
Dirty D

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I am not much for sitting in a tree stand and get bored easily. I have a wallow that bulls ( and cows) hit the 1st week every year so I do it anyway. I enjoy spot and stalk or calling a lot more. I took my 25th elk on the 30th of Aug last year over that wallow. [img][img][/img][/img]ImageImageImageImageImageImage
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer