Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

new guy to forum

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

new guy to forum

Postby shorthair15 » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 1]

im new to this forum but not elk hunting. i just started learning to use diaphragms for elk calling. i use to use open reeds. im enjoying learning my new found hobby. but i think im driving my wife and daughter crazy. :lol: im getting pretty good at cow calling i feel confident now in it. i need to learn how to chuckle. the elk chuckle alot around here in the early season. this will be probably the hardest sound to learn i can grunt,growl and my bugleing is all right need a little more practice with it but it is comeing along. i have a mellow yellow,the all star and the rageing bull. i will pick up the closer as well. the all star and the rageing bull i seem to get more volume with bugles, growls and grunts. thanks to elk nut aka paul he gave me some pointers on tongue postion and it made a world of difference. i cant thank him enough im finally feeling confident in my calling.
shorthair15

First Name: scott
Last Name: dyer

Re: new guy to forum

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Welcome aboard shorthair15! When I mentor others on calling I always teach the Nervous Grunt. Once you learn that, speeding up the repetition will be the foundation to chuckles and aggresive grunts. My 2-cents.

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby shorthair15 » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 3]

thanks john i will keep practicing i real like the bugling bull diaphragm calls. i will get the closer as i have the the mellow yellow,all star and rageing bull. the mellow yellow sure makes good cow sounds. i wish i would have starting useing diaphragms along time ago im hooked now. thanks jason phelps and paul for the pointers and jason for telling me about the website. i seem to be able to grunt,growl and bugle a little louder with the all star and the rageing bull. i was recommended to get the closer as well thanks scott
shorthair15

First Name: scott
Last Name: dyer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

wELKome aboard Shorthair.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Shorthair15, good for you! Now it just takes practice!!! You'll have to find those areas void of the family so it doesn't effect them too much! (grin) Welcome bud!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ctdad » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

This is good instruction that I used a lot while learning to chuckle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXE3klyQOk
ctdad