Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Goat Boy » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Well it is official the fires here in utah have burned every honey hole and secrete hot spot i hunt including all the summer ground I scouted for elk on not to mention all the child hood memories that will only be relived by pictures. This has been a sad week for not only me but the whole west. I am trying my hardest to look toward the future but still in the back of my mind all I can think about is the way it was and how I will forever remember my mountain or more so my home away from home it will be forever missed it's hard to say goodbye to an old friend and mentor. If any one else on this forum is going through the same grief please share!
"You're never lost if you don't care where you're at"
Goat Boy

Re: FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!!!!

Postby POk3s » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 2]

My elk hunt area is right on the brink of being burned. A change in winds and it's gone.

In all honesty, keep your head up. It's going to suck this year if everything stays dry and there's no new growth but years to come your "honey holes" will continue to be hot spots for elk! Fire is a natural cycle.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Nelsonv » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 3]

As bad as these fires are it actually helps the land in the long run. Sucks in the present but major gains down the road.
Nelsonv

Postby Buckriser » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I feel ya Goat Boy, I also live in Utah and one of my favorite spots is on fire. :(
I drew a LE Elk tag this year and I'm pretty nervous my area might light up. It would suck to wait 12 yrs and then have the unit go up in flames. Heres to hoping it doesn't.
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby Goat Boy » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I wish you the best of luck Buckriser lets hope that something good comes of all this fire. The truth is that we did this to are selves if you look back over 100 years ago you never hear about any major wildfires and if you think about it they didn't have all the technology to fight them like we do now. wildfires are the earths way of getting rid of the dead overgrowth and making room for new growth. The reason for the intense fires now days is mostly due to putting fires out over and over year after year while they are small and never get a chance to thin areas out so now your left with completely overgrown spots where when a major fire does happen, its unstoppable and devastating. So far we have lost 3-5 trail cameras it will be neat to see if I can find them and if at all possible recover the SD cards from them.

"You're never lost if you don't care where you're at"
Goat Boy

Postby Buckriser » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Another good Elk spot in UT, up in flames.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341353460.465059.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341353460.465059.jpg (48.44 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby iRem » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I feel for all you guys that hunt those areas in the interim! But, Fire is not a bad thing if people can survive it and the animals as well. Keep your heads up and good luck this year!
iRem

Postby Lefty » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Better than what happened last week here in Pocatelllo
http://www.kivitv.com/news/local/160968995.html
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Buckriser » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Very true Lefty