Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is this elk talk and reason for it?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What is this elk talk and reason for it?

Postby trkyslr » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Heres the incident..Last September mid day, sunny but cool, I was on a north facing steep slope, big time bedding area. About 200-300 yards away from close to the top of the slope I hear a bull chuckle about 30 times without pause, no bugle before or after. After that didn't hear any more talk. I'm guessing he was bedded with cows and maybe a tending grunt or chuckle.. What was it and what was his reason for it!
trkyslr

Re: What is this elk talk and reason for it?

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I believe what you may have been hearing & experiencing was from a satellite bull, it's common for them to give off these whiny low volume chuckles moans & groans as they yearn for cows. It's quite possible he was bedded not to far from a herd but was not welcome as part of it by the herd bull. He could be catching their wind or hearing them at a distance or just knowing they there. He has urges just as other bulls do, their hormones can get the best of them & it's common for them to vocalize in that nature! I don't think you were hearing the herd bull though unless there was other action taking place & you didn't mention it!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: What is this elk talk and reason for it?

Postby trkyslr » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Thanks Paul for response... Ya no other action that was all I heard but did see a different small 5 point about 200 yards from the noise maker that was bedded.
trkyslr