Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Urine?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Urine?

Postby Buckriser » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Does anybody use the cow elk in heat urine while hunting bulls in the rut? I'd like to know if this works well or if I'm better off not using it?
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Re: Urine?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Man I don't know... I know the manufacturers sure sell a ton of it :) For me, no.. I just work the wind/thermals and use cover/concealment as much as possible to gain the edge and try to get a shot. You know what can happen if it's gets on your bino lense? I love that post you did Buckriser on the tips thread.. I'm still laughing :lol: :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Urine?

Postby Buckriser » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Lol. Remembering that story is what got me to thinking....... Maybe we shouldn't be using it? Or should we? We did kill a 5x5 one year while using it, but we were down wind, so??
Buckriser

Postby planebow » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I used to use it but have not for several years now. If you get it on you you will never be able to smell an elk that might be right in front of you. Sometimes that is the first clue that an elk might be close by.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Urine?

Postby iRem » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Don't kill your #1 sense that can you lead you in the right direction of Elk.
iRem

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I personally do not use it & never have on any elk taken, but I think there's a place for it under selective situations. I'm considering it for this year! I'd never put it on myself but rather on a ball of cloth or spray bottle, there are some pluses to using it so I do not rule it out all together!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Buckriser » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 7]

ElkNut1 wrote:I personally do not use it & never have on any elk taken, but I think there's a place for it under selective situations. I'm considering it for this year! I'd never put it on myself but rather on a ball of cloth or spray bottle, there are some pluses to using it so I do not rule it out all together!

ElkNut1

We used to put it on ourselves. :? But we quickly decided that wasnt a good idea. I have taken along tampons :o (yes tampons) and when I sit an area i'll hang them in a nearby tree. I havnet used urine in the last few years, I was thinking of trying it again.
Buckriser

Postby POk3s » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I used it one time last year while archery hunting. My plan for that evening was to just go sit on a trail where elk had entered a meadow the night before. I was beat and needed an "easy hunt" that evening as my dad had seen these elk basically from camp when he got back with a little light left. I sprayed some of it on my boots and pant leg and when I got up there well before dusk there was a GOOD 5 point staring at me in the wide open. I was busted and nothing I could do. He just turned and walked off, I ran to where he disappeared and he was gone. Imagine that. Only time I've used it besides rifle hunting with my dad one time....and he killed an elk that night but I'm sure it had nothing to do with the scent lol.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s