Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tracking Wind Movement

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tracking Wind Movement

Postby idahoghost » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Anybody use a windsock or other device to track the wind in trailcam photos?
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Re: Tracking Wind Movement

Postby elkmtngear » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 2]

No, but that is a helluva good idea!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Goneelkn » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 3]

First i've ever heard of doing it. I will be trying it.
Goneelkn

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 4]

OK, why is it that you need to know wind movement when you're not there? Are you trying to get the time they're there & see what the wind is doing? If so, the wind can do all sorts of different things depending on clouds, sunny etc. Just curious?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby six » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

A 2 foot piece of fishing line with a turkey feather tied on the end works great.
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby idahoghost » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I am trying to find out what the prevailing wind maybe in order to setup a blind or treestand. I know it's can change, but at least if I know the percentage of time the wind blows from the west (an example) I maybe able to make a better steup.

The camera should record time of day when the Elk are setting it off, so in the morning it may come from one direction and the evening another. Just trying to help stack the odds......I need all the help I can get ;>)
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby Goneelkn » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 7]

six wrote:A 2 foot piece of fishing line with a turkey feather tied on the end works great.

Wouldn't that set off the camera alot?? I was thinking yarn.
Goneelkn

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Yes, I understand your reasoning! Other factors to consider is location! If you are on a trail, water source/mineral deposit etc. Are these located closer to feeding or bedding? Feeding they are being used morning. Near bedding they are used midday & evenings. The time on your camera will tell you this to help you out in your time frame of use. If sitting a source, I would not allow wind direction to sift towards any trail visible leading to it even if it means setting up on the trail a 100yds or much further away to get the wind in your favor 100% of the time. Too, if unsure where they are coming & going look at the track direction, you will note elk generally will come in one way & leave another way. This will help to show you what trail they are most likely using to come in on & exit. Elk love walking into the wind, this gives them the edge foe scenting danger ahead! Just some food for thought!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Goneelkn » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 9]

ElkNut1 wrote: to get the wind in your favor 100% of the time. ElkNut1

I want to hunt with you, the wind is never 100% anything around me!!!! :lol:
Goneelkn

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Not to worry, I have my Scent Loc Suit!!! Of course I'm 100% invisible to an elks nose! You know what the commercials say "forget the wind" just hunt!! (big grin) Actually I'm very aware of the wind & that's why blind or stand locations are so critical. If at anytime the wind starts to swirl or shift to where your presence can be known by any animal then you've got to re-position or back out! Thermals can play tricks on us so all us hunters have to be constantly monitoring it, if we don't we may as well stay in camp because we will be busted on their approach! (grin)

Swede here has a Book out on Treestanding Elk, so if you are big into stands he gives some of the best advice around on heights, location & reading the country for best stand locations! It's very good stuff!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul