Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elknut Requests

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elknut Requests

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Paul, I've got all your DVDs, CDs, play book, and audio versions of everything. I enjoyed Mastering the Mouth Reed, but I think there is room for another "how to" calling video.

What I need is a video that covers the 10-15 most important sounds, how to make them, and when to use them.

In MTMR you went into grunts, but it would be nice to go further into how to use your voice and the sucking sound.

Combo calls would also be great! Combos such as the levels of the threat where bull and cow sounds are mixed, cow/calf combos, etc, etc. How to and when to should be in this section too, because it's tough to quickly switch from chuckles to panicked cow sounds! Other combo sounds would be useful too.

It'd be great if the vid were broken into sections so I could just go to the one I want.

Anyone else have requests on stuff they'd like to see?
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Re: Elknut Requests

Postby idahoghost » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Paul,

What sound do you use to stop the bull if he is within range and moving?
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 3]

RockChucker30, I'll consider your thoughts shortly!

Idahoghost, this one here on this clip! It's the Video Clip that's on the ElkNut Video Clips Forum up above on the far right! viewtopic.php?f=12&t=73

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Elknut Requests

Postby Buckriser » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 4]

idahoghost wrote:Paul,

What sound do you use to stop the bull if he is within range and moving?

Paul can correct me of I'm wrong. But I would guess a nervous grunt will work well. Even a cow call can work. But if I'm not mistaken a nervous grunt is asking the bull to stop and show himself to you.
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby Lefty » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

In very open country how close is too close to use a nervous grunt ?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Yes, the Nervous/Popping Grunt asks for an "action" elk use it in asking for an identification or visual from one another, a cow call, mew or chirp asks nothing, it merely represents an elk. Problem with cow sounds when trying to stop a bull with them is the bulls don't hear them 1/2 the time & they keep moving! When hunting heavy timber/brushy areas you will find stopping an elk in a small window for the shot is a MUST! You need to anchor them right there or your shot opportunity is gone! The nervous grunt does this perfectly. There is no "too close" -- We've stopped bulls just a few feet away to over a 100yds out & further! The further away the louder the grunt. Key to using this sound up close is you do not want the elk looking at you when being used, they must be walking by or turning away from you when they leave because they don't see something they expected to see right there! That's when you draw & use this sound simultaneously!

Depending on encounter a nervous grunt can be used on low, mid or high volume! Use the level of sound that fits your immediate situation, it's a golden sound to master with your voice or mouth reed!!

Bowelkdown (my son) took this bull with this nervous grunt. I had called in a blind cold calling setup imitating a couple cows & a small bull, this bull came in fairly quickly through the thick timber, he came in, in search mode looking for this small group he heard, he was walking past me at about 35 yds looking & walking, as he got closer to my son he continued to walk & not stopping so my son went to full draw when the bull couldn't see him & gave the nervous grunt with his voice & anchored that bull instantly giving him a standing shot over a moving one!

ElkNut1
Attachments
Paul II 2010 bull - 10.jpg
Paul II 2010 bull - 10.jpg (150.72 KiB) Viewed 9735 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Rock Chucker, that's a lot of stuff going on there! (grin) First off you do not need to learn up to 15 sounds, that's a bit confusing for anyone! (grin) Keep it much more simple than that but know when a specific sound is needed! It's much more important to understand these sounds when elk are using them than it is for you to know how to imitate them. This is especially so for newer elk hunters. Learn a few basics & master them, as time goes on & you want to add additional sounds then you can add them as you grow.

Learn the Location Bugle, Challenge Bugle, Nervous Grunt, Variety of Cow Sounds such as Excited/Estrus Tones, Social/Contact Mews & Chirps, Estrus Buzz if possible. You need not really concern yourself with others at this time, master these & you will be able to use one or more in about any situation you came across! Learn to identify others sounds elk make! Yes, many of these sounds I will be sharing through the up coming clips, thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Elknut Requests

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Elknut,

Thanks for the info. The reason I was thinking that there may be room for another calling video is because info is currently in so many different places. I watch V's 1-4 and pick up a lot, then read the play book and pick up more, but I think it would be nice to have a vid that condenses it.

For instance, you could show the location bugle, how to make it, then give situations you would use it and also what to do if you encounter a bull giving that bugle. You could do the same for challenge bugle, nervous grunt, herd talk, estrous whine, and combos like cow/calf and also bull/cow combos like the levels of the threat. This could cover only the most crucial sounds.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Swede » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I too have a request for Elknut. This morning I went in to check a thread I was following closely. I scrolled down to where I left off yesterday, and to my amazement I saw I had been classified as a "calf" where I found my name. Now I have nothing against being a "calf". In fact that is great. It reminds me of a time when I was full of pee and vinegar. Definately great memories, but what concerns me is what I think comes next. I assume I will not be a calf forever. It is obvious I went from a "new user" to a "calf" automatically by continuing to post on this forum. So now I am left to wonder: how does Elknut's computer know how to classify me as I keep posting here? Specifically will I become a "spike", then a "raghorn" etc, or will I be classified as a "cow"? How does a computer know? I know this is not politically correct, but I am going to say it anyway: I am worried that my tendency to talk a lot will throw off Elknut's computer so it will advance me to the next phase as a heifer. Elknut, I know that at 50 posts something in your computer was triggered automatically. What kind of trigger does it have to keep from misclassifying people, and do I need to slow up on my talking so I will become a spike in due time?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Hi Swede, I'll field this question. Your are correct, the rank is based on how many posts you made to the forum. It's a way to signify how much the user has contributed. Here's a breakdown

New: User 0 - 49
Calf: 50 - 99
Spike: 100 - 199
Raghorn: 200 - 299
Satellite: 300 - 399
Herd Bull: 400 - 499
An Elk Nut: 500+

The change in your rank is automatic and is done at the server level. Paul's computer plays no role in it.

So let's get a poll, who likes the ranks as they are or does someone have another idea they'd like to share?

Thanks,
jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Goneelkn » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Shouldn't there be a BS level?? I mean all of us are trying to be a BS.

By the way BS=Bull Shooter :lol: :lol:
Goneelkn

Postby Swede » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Whew, I feel like I just dodged a bullet or is that an arrow. I could see myself getting classified as a heifer for talking too much. Kind of like a penelty, unless you are a heifer. Anyway I think the classification is good, except I will never be Elknut1. The Lord broke the mold after making that dude.
Swede

Postby elkaholic » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Yes.. definately add a BS to the list :lol:
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby foxvalley » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 14]

How about having all of us rate the person on how informative the topic is,etc. That way someone doesn't become an elknut for 500 rounds of B.S.(Check out the rating system of 6x6 world.com)
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Swede » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 15]

My first reaction to Foxvalley's request was to dismiss it. I was thinking it misses the point. After all who care if someone posts "Hi" 500 times on this forum. Who cares if someone feels better being called an "Elknut". That will not make them any better hunter. That will not add even an ounce of elk gravy to their plate. Still one thing concerns me. Does a rating system, that is perceived as giving recognition for numbers of posts, have the affect of making this site more like Bowsite or some of the others that are filled with much clutter? I think this site is being managed well. John and Paul can keep it that way. I want it to continue to be a place for serious hunting dialog and related hunting experiences. That is all that will set it apart from the others. In the end I see Foxvalley makes a good point.
Swede

Postby foxvalley » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Swede, I agree with you, someone saying "HI" 500 times just to be called an elknut is'nt going to put meat in the freezer for them,and is'nt helping elk hunters that want to learn more. On the flip side, someone that has a few awesome tips,or experiences that they are willing to share with all of us to selflesslly make us all better elk hunters, can, at the disgression of each and every person reading it, can show there approval ie.respect,by giving that person,or topic a point. If someone has an incredible tip and 490 out of 500 people that read it think it's going to make them a better elk hunter, and they give that topic a point,it will make it easier for us to see what is of real importance.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby elkohalic » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Hi
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby elkohalic » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Hi
elkohalic

Postby elkohalic » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 19]

ouch my fingers cramped up..
Sorry couldn't resist, OK back to serious elk
elkohalic

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I do not care what rank I am. I am a elk hunter that just loves to help and share what elk have taught me. So I guess my rank would be " Freezer Filler" :D
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 21]

elkohalic wrote:ouch my fingers cramped up..
Sorry couldn't resist, OK back to serious elk

LOL!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 22]

John, I am happy with the way you and Paul have set it up and managed this forum. We all have differences in opinion and even different values. This forum is not about any one of us. It is about helping people who want to be proficient elk hunters. I hope people feel comfortable asking questions. I want it to be ok to be wrong, or ignorant on things. I know I can be both. But I do not want the forum to be riddled with foolishness. It should be big enough to help a twelve year old who wants to get a solid start, or a grandparent who has a life time of hunting experience. One thing I would like to see is, if someone is told they are mistaken; then explain to all what is right, and why you think so without any ridicule.
Swede

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Swede wrote:John, I am happy with the way you and Paul have set it up and managed this forum. We all have differences in opinion and even different values. This forum is not about any one of us. It is about helping people who want to be proficient elk hunters. I hope people feel comfortable asking questions. I want it to be ok to be wrong, or ignorant on things. I know I can be both. But I do not want the forum to be riddled with foolishness. It should be big enough to help a twelve year old who wants to get a solid start, or a grandparent who has a life time of hunting experience. One thing I would like to see is, if someone is told they are mistaken; then explain to all what is right, and why you think so without any ridicule.

Thanks Swede. I had a reply but I accidently deleted it. :o It was in line with exactly what you stated above. Wrong or right opinions, I think this forum can produce health discussion without becoming hostel. There will be no ridiculing or attacks tolerated and will be swiftly dealt with by forum moderators. Although at times, we need to agree to disagree. I hope that all feel they can disagree with my opinions.

FYI....Anyone at anytime can report a "reply" and ask it be reviewed by a moderator. This can by clicking on the upside down triangle with a "!" mark in the center.
JohnFitzgerald