Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Water Hole Setup

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Water Hole Setup

Postby idahoghost » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Found a great waterhole/possible wallows. The place looks like grand central station.

I am hoping/assuming it will still viable in Aug/Sept. Any thoughts on ground blind verses treestand? I am planning setting up around mid August in this area, but I am not sure when to set it up without spooking them? Any thoughts on when is the safest time, morning, afternoon, evening?
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Re: Water Hole Setup

Postby elkmtngear » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Idahoghost,

Sound like an awesome spot for a treestand, you'd have to experiment a little to see what the wind does at different times of day to find the optimal spot. Hopefully the area will continue to stay busy in early September.
Swede is the man for treestand info, hopefully he will pop in here soon!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby westaner » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I try to put up stands around 9 am. Cool part of the day too. Elk in my area water at sun up/ dusk and if close sneak a drink or wallow 1-4 pm if really hot.
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby Swede » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I would prefer a tree stand in 95% of the situations. There are a few situations where I prefer a ground blind. It is always determained be the terrain and vegetation. The point is to be hidden and minimize the elk's likelihood of scenting you. I would not be too concerned with exactly when you set up. Many National Forests regulate how long you can have a tree stand out. In some areas you risk having your stand stolen. You don't need to get in too big of a hurry. I have been rigging a tree and had elk, deer and bears come in while I worked away. Assuming you are setting up before the season opener, and elk come around while you are there, try not to disturb them if you can, and don't chase them. I have set up on one evening and shot elk there the next day. A friend set up his stand, sat down in it, and killed a nice bull within an hour. I work as quietly as I can even though I am far from silent. Just git er done and leave minimize human disturbance. Come and go leaving the smallest scent trail.
Now as to what you have: I suspect your water hole is getting used mostly by cows and calves. They will likely be there in archery season unless something changes. If the water and feed continue to be good and there is little or no human traffic I would expect to find them there in September. To be sure what you have and to monitor their activity, I would set up a trail camera. This is where a cheap slow trigger, low megapixel, waterproof camera is all you need.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Swede is the man for that question! He's a treestand junkie for waterholes/wallows! (grin)

I have a couple spots that I'm sitting this year, but with them being on a bench I can easily get on the downslope side & have the favorable wind when there! I am using a makeshift ground blind because mainly there are no trees for a stand. Too, I will only sit it in mornings as it's the stop off point with elk going from feeding to bedding area, it's also an escape route when pressure hits from below by weekend hunters. My grandson & I will branch out a small spot then I will use the Slip System Decoy on the backside of the well placed branches, this is a lot easier that trying to pack a portable blind for two miles! It should break up any movement with no problem. Nice thing about it is I can take the Slip System out with me with no trouble packing it, it's very light weight!

So use what will get you favorable wind & what best for the area you're hunting! I do not sit daylight till dark so the ground blind is my choice in many cases!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkmtngear » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 6]

ElkNut1 wrote:My grandson & I will branch out a small spot then I will use the Slip System Decoy on the backside of the well placed branches, this is a lot easier that trying to pack a portable blind for two miles! It should break up any movement with no problem. Nice thing about it is I can take the Slip System out with me with no trouble packing it, it's very light weight

Thanks, Paul....Looking forward to see how it works for you guys!

Another SLIP System bonus, is you can easily adapt it as a treestand umbrella/camera arm all-in-one, if you decide to take to the trees!

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor