Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

cwd

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

cwd

Postby bnsafe » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 1]

do you guys pay any attn to it or just ignore it and eat whatever you kill without having it tested. ive read alot both ways.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: cwd

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 2]

If I was elk hunting an area that was well known for CWD & it was recommended to have your animal checked, then yes I would have it done! If not in such an area then I'd not be too concerned!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 3]

JohnFitzgerald

cwd

Postby slim9300 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 4]

What's CWD? ;)
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Chronic Waste Disease! (CWD) It's a brain disease in elk! There are areas of CO that have it pretty current! You'd better read the article! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Moose-head » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 6]

If it has been found in or near the area I don't think that there is anything wrong with having it checked. When hunting in an area where it has not been documented I don't go out of my way to get it checked unless F&G is asking for samples.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby bnsafe » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 7]

The unit I'm going to has it there. Just not sure rather to cook it well or have it tested. Wasn't planning on packing out a cow head.
bnsafe

cwd

Postby slim9300 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 8]

ElkNut1 wrote:Chronic Waste Disease! (CWD) It's a brain disease in elk! There are areas of CO that have it pretty current! You'd better read the article! (grin)

ElkNut1

I was just messing around. I read about it many years ago in Bugle magazine when they first started worrying about it. It's a non-issue for me. Someday when I hunt a place where it's a reasonable possibility I may have my meat tested. For now I'm good.
slim9300

cwd

Postby slim9300 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 9]

bnsafe wrote:The unit I'm going to has it there. Just not sure rather to cook it well or have it tested. Wasn't planning on packing out a cow head.

I would rather have it tested than cook my meat well done! Yuck! :)

So they can't find it by testing the meat itself? They need the brain? (I realize the brain and bones are the main carriers)
slim9300

Postby Moose-head » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 10]

bnsafe wrote:The unit I'm going to has it there. Just not sure rather to cook it well or have it tested. Wasn't planning on packing out a cow head.

you cannot cook CWD out of the meat. "Taking standard
precautions will reduce or eliminate any contamination of deer meat by prions from brain or
spinal cord tissue or lymph tissue. However, cooking or canning will not destroy prions that
might be present."
I took that from http://www.uwex.edu/ces/ag/issues/fmd/C ... 110402.pdf (Wisconsin DNR)
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby eltaco » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I just shoot the elk that aren't walking in circles... that probably reduces the potential of killing a cwd elk by about 93.45%
eltaco

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 12]

eltaco wrote:I just shoot the elk that aren't walking in circles... that probably reduces the potential of killing a cwd elk by about 93.45%

Funny......sick and wrong, but funny :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby eltaco » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Phantom16 wrote:
eltaco wrote:I just shoot the elk that aren't walking in circles... that probably reduces the potential of killing a cwd elk by about 93.45%

Funny......sick and wrong, but funny :D

You know what, after some thinking I realize it was wrong to post that....

If it were the last day of season and I had a bull walking in circles in front of me, I wouldn't be able to pass up a perfect shot that repeatedly presents itself... after all, well done elk tastes better than no elk, and its a long offseason.
eltaco

Postby bnsafe » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Figured that's the only kind I got a chance at.
bnsafe

Postby N5J » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Man that’s funny right there…eltaco. Now let’s get serious…as the elk is walking in circles, do you hold right on or do you lead him?

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

cwd

Postby slim9300 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Moose-head wrote:

you cannot cook CWD out of the meat. "Taking standard
precautions will reduce or eliminate any contamination of deer meat by prions from brain or
spinal cord tissue or lymph tissue. However, cooking or canning will not destroy prions that
might be present."
I took that from http://www.uwex.edu/ces/ag/issues/fmd/C ... 110402.pdf (Wisconsin DNR)

Not a single person has been reported to have contracted the prions from a CWD infected animal.
slim9300

cwd

Postby slim9300 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 17]

N5J wrote:Man that’s funny right there…eltaco. Now let’s get serious…as the elk is walking in circles, do you hold right on or do you lead him?

N5J

James

My elk are always looking to the right for some reason. :)
slim9300

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 18]

It's true that no one has been shown to have contracted CWD by eating the meat. That was also the case with Mad Cow Disease, until the prions mutated and figured out a way to affect humans. The prions are concentrated in lymph nodes, brain, and spinal tissues. If you can avoid consuming or getting those fluids on your meat, that certainly will limit the possiblity of consuming those prions. Infected game farms have killed animals, burned them, taken measures to eliminate prions, kept animals off of the soils for years, and when game was reintroduced CWD still infected those animals. Simply cooking your meat longer will not prevent you from contracting CWD if it is possible. Safest bet is to simply have them tested. It really is not a long process to have done. I'm in the CWD area in WI, and testing has been heavily for a decade now. Results from heavily sampled time periods generally don't take any longer than a month to receive. My family submits samples after registration, butcher our own meat while labeling the packages with the animals ID number for the test, and then keep them seperated from other venison in the freezer until we get the results. It's entirely up to you if you choose to eat an animal that tests positive for CWD. I personally would hate to toss the meat, but would feel it is the smartest decision if a positive result came back. Just food for thought, and an option for you to do with meat when/if you choose to get your animal tested.
HurricaneHuge