Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

decoys for bugling bulls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

decoys for bugling bulls

Postby bowgy » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Does anyone use decoys when they are " running and gunning " bulls? I've read Paul's information on using them on water, wallow, trail, and cold calling setups and those sound like great ideas if could get myself to sit and wait. It seems like they would be good when trying to call in a bull but as a solo hunter I never want to take the time to take off the pack get it out and set it up. Then if I have to move closer a few times I would have to go back and get it etc.
bowgy

Re: decoys for bugling bulls

Postby Wyo67 » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Always have a decoy with us when running and gunning. Depending on your setup they can help seal the deal. I've seen a cow stay and investigate the decoy even after the bull has been arrowed and took off. The Montana decoys are larger and more difficult to pack and move around with once deployed, but they are very lifelike and you can walk behind them for additional cover. I bought the Heads-up decoy this year and will be giving that a try. A little smaller and easier to setup in a hurry.
Wyo67

Postby westaner » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I have a sling pouch for my Montana decoys under my left arm. Easy to get out fast, usually hang them in tree with a loop. Dosnt take me 10 seconds to have one hung. The best ones are the rumps, sew a little flag on for the tail to give it movement. I've had the one thats looking at you head up, spook bulls because their static, freaked them out!
When I'm moving fast trying to get in range the decoys don't come out. I just use a 18" piece of tan fabric and flash it to a bull and wave my hand like an ear if he hangs up and hope he comes in closer to run you off. Its a lot easier if you choose the right place for the set up, a roll in the terrain where he has to roll over the top to see an elk!
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby elkmtngear » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I can deploy my decoy in one second if need be, since it is also an adjustable carbon fiber trekking pole. I always have the decoy in one hand and my bow in the other.

In 15 seconds, I can re-build it into a lightweight stalking blind that I can use to move in and around elk, and spike it into the ground in one fluid motion. It has allowed me to hunt much more aggressively.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby elkaholic » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Yes I always have my Montana Decoy on me. Great for running and gunning and I can even hide behind it if need be..
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby bearman da man » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I, too, like Westaner, carry the Montana decoy (Rump) in my day pack and I don't mess with the rods for legs. I have made a small hole and put fish line through it and made a loop and tie in bush or tree....yep, not more than 10 sec.....comes in handy when by myself or a partner when we call for each other...it works great without any hassels.

Just another option to throw at them....I mean "hang" at them!

Bearman da man
bearman da man