Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Post Up Your Elk Sounds Part 1 - Cow/Calf Herd Talk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Allright fellow wapiti hunters. Let's get this thing rolling.. I'm starting the first annual Elknut Forum "Post Up Your Elk Sounds" series of threads. Let's start with cow/calf sounds in a herd setting.. All is well in the elk woods and the cows and and calfs are communicating.

Throw out your sounds for discussion, comment, and for all of us to learn from and perhaps, improve our elk vocalization techniques. Here's my offering. I'm certainly open for any comments on room for improvement. Don't be shy. Really, how can you find another platform to post up your sounds and get some recommendations for adjustment from not only fellow elk hunters, but, perhaps some competition callers and even Elknut himself.. Post the types of calls (manufacturer, diaphram, reed cow call, etc.) you're using if you wish. Let's hear em! It's only a bit over 60 days till elk season in many states. I'm using a Berry X series cow talk diaphram and a carlton reed cow call to mix up the sounds a bit... RJ

Coming attractions to a theatre near you are location bugle, bugle with chuckles, bugle with grunts, screams, and special elk sounds (popping/nervous grunts, regathering sounds, glunks, pants, growls, estrus buzz, lip bawl bugle, etc.)....

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Post Up Your Elk Sounds Part 1 - Cow/Calf Herd Talk

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 2]

ttt.. Who's gonna throw some cow/calf sounds out? Shoot, I figured everybody on this great new forum would post their noises out for the masses :)
WapitiTalk1

Postby elkohalic » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I have to figure out how to record myself and then get it on here first. heck I may kill a 400 bull before that happens. Just kidding, I will try to get in on here tomorrow.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby slim9300 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 4]

elkohalic wrote:I have to figure out how to record myself and then get it on here first. heck I may kill a 400 bull before that happens. Just kidding, I will try to get in on here tomorrow.

SoundCloud is the easiest way to host a sound online for free. Then just post a link.

If I was home I would post up some sounds. I feel like these threads have some serious potential here. This may be your only chance to ever get feedback from some very strong callers, a couple of which called at the highest level. I would suggest taking advantage.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby elkohalic » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

thanks slim I will check it out !
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby iRem » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Testing a link from Soundcloud to see if this will work!!
Alright, it looks like it worked! Now I will be happy to contribute to this thread!
iRem

Postby iRem » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Here is what I wanted to post the first time.

http://soundcloud.com/irem-2/cow-calf-talk
iRem

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 8]

iRem wrote:Here is what I wanted to post the first time.

http://soundcloud.com/irem-2/cow-calf-talk

RJ's bold prediction on this date in June, 2012. iRem will kill a large, extremely horny, red eyed, mud packed, snot nosed, stinky bull this year! Do you know why? Because he has no reservations about throwing his sounds out and saying "hey, here's my sounds.....is there anything I need to improve upon"? Way to be be the first post in the new Elknut forum "post em up threads". If I had a prize to give out, I would.. Remember this post as I plan on doing this for many, many years to come :) You're the first response to the threads!

I'd say your sounds are pretty decent friend.. Would just recommend you work on varying them a bit (pitch/resonance and rhythm..) Mix em up and don't be so mechanical.. use your hand to deflect the sounds in different direction.. Not too shabby IMO. Oh, what call are you using?
WapitiTalk1

Postby iRem » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I use a few different calls this is a cow call made by Jason Phelps of Phelpsgamecalls.com. The sequence of calls that I posted was one of my practice sessions that I do and is only for training purposes. I'll do the same call over and over and change it to another call, and repeat. I just want to make sure that im getting the same tone each time. I will record my self to make sure that I made the tone that I'm looking for and repeat. Thanks for the feed back can't wait to here others out there. By all means I'm not a professional caller, just an elkaholic like you!
iRem

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 10]

irem, those are social/contact mews & chirps, you sounded excellent! Well done!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 11]

ttt.. Come on folks, lets get some more cow/calf sounds in a herd setting thrown out here... We'll be on to the fun stuff soon (various bugles, grunts, chuckles, etc.) but want to give everyone an opportunity to post their cow/calf sounds first.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby iRem » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 12]

ElkNut1 wrote:irem, those are social/contact mews & chirps, you sounded excellent! Well done!

ElkNut1

Thanks Paul that means a lot coming from you!!
I sure would like to hear others as well! I know what ElkNut sounds like, it would be great to hear others!
iRem

Postby Buckriser » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Well, I'm putting it out there. Here is my attempt at a cow call. I am using the Mellow Yellow Diaphram.

http://soundcloud.com/buckriser/cow-elk-talk
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Buckriser, that will get it done! Nothing wrong with those sounds for typical mom & calf talk! We need to step up the game now! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Buckriser » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 15]

ElkNut1 wrote:Buckriser, that will get it done! Nothing wrong with those sounds for typical mom & calf talk! We need to step up the game now! (grin)

ElkNut1

Well it's good to know I sounded like some sort of an elk. :)
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby fez » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 16]

All I can do is get better right!! Don't you all laugh at once
http://soundcloud.com/fez-11/audio-reco ... n-saturday
fez

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Don't feel bad Fez. That's how Soundcloud works for me to. LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby iRem » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Am I missing something? I wasn't able to upload and listen, it came back as a missing page error??
iRem

Postby ctdad » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Tried mixing in a diaphragm with one of phelp's external reeds calls. The first transition sounds a bit odd to me but thought the next couple were better

http://soundcloud.com/ctdad/audio-recor ... saturday-2
ctdad

Postby fez » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Lets try this again, and once again dont laugh. Only Im allowed to laugh at myself :D
http://soundcloud.com/fez-11/audio-reco ... saturday-1
fez

Postby iRem » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 21]

fez wrote:Lets try this again, and once again dont laugh. Only Im allowed to laugh at myself :D
http://soundcloud.com/fez-11/audio-reco ... saturday-1

Thanks for redoing it, I was able to get it that time! Well that was no laughing matter, you did a great job!
I just found out the 1 I posted was not of my training sessions when I practice my calls, it was one that I was messing around with when I was trying to figure out how to use my recording device with sound cloud! I'll post my training one here.......http://snd.sc/OQqUrk again this is just me training for tones that I'm looking for.
iRem

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Anyone else wanna throw out some cow/calf sounds? Going once... twice... :) I'll get a new "post em up" thread going in a few days but feel free to throw out your sounds in this (cow/calf) or any of the other post em up threads at any time. It's all about practicing, improving, and readying ourselves for the elk woods.. yes? Fun stuff.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Well Ill give it a shot. But I have to learn to do this when my son isnt watching so I dont start laughing while hes watching. me.
http://soundcloud.com/steve-jahnke/audio-recording-on-wednesday-1
Jahnke76

Postby shorthair15 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 24]

how do i post my sounds from suncloud on here. thanks i recorded some cow sounds and locator bugles but dont know to put them on here
shorthair15

First Name: scott
Last Name: dyer

Postby shorthair15 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 25]

here is some cow calls i recorded ive only been useing a diaphragm call for about 4 days. i practice all most every day since i got the calls hopefully by season my calling will be polished up. thanks http://soundcloud.com/labrador15 the first 2 are my cow sounds.
shorthair15

Postby shorthair15 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 26]

shorthair15 wrote:how do i post my sounds from suncloud on here. thanks i recorded some cow sounds and locator bugles but dont know to put them on here

figured it out thanks.
shorthair15

Postby slim9300 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 27]

shorthair15 wrote:here is some cow calls i recorded ive only been useing a diaphragm call for about 4 days. i practice all most every day since i got the calls hopefully by season my calling will be polished up. thanks http://soundcloud.com/labrador15 the first 2 are my cow sounds.

Those cow sounds sound amazing for only using a reed for 4 days. Great job!
slim9300

Postby shorthair15 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 28]

here is more calls i made with closer diaphragm call http://soundcloud.com/labrador15/audio- ... -wednesday. hopefully im getting better every day at calling. thanks the herd talk is the first calling sequence.
shorthair15

Postby Fullabull » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 29]

Ok, just found this site, can't believe I didn't hear about it before. Looks like another forum I'll be hanging out in :D
Anyway, thought I would throw my herd talk in the mix here. I didn't know about this soundcloud thing so I singed up and hope this works :)
http://soundcloud.com/fullabull/elk-heard-cow-talk
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 30]

I agree with slim, you guys are flat picking up this calling very quick, we must be good teachers! (big grin)

Fullabull, sounds great, glad you made it by, tell a friend!!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby slim9300 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 31]

Fullabull wrote:Ok, just found this site, can't believe I didn't hear about it before. Looks like another forum I'll be hanging out in :D
Anyway, thought I would throw my herd talk in the mix here. I didn't know about this soundcloud thing so I singed up and hope this works :)
http://soundcloud.com/fullabull/elk-heard-cow-talk

I listened to all of your sounds. They sound great! Nice job.
slim9300

Postby mattstanton » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 32]

A lot of guys knock the hoochie mama but one time I love it is doing general herd talk. Here is my routine that I lead off every calling setup with.

http://soundcloud.com/mattstanton-1/general-herd-talk
mattstanton

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 33]

mattstanton wrote:A lot of guys knock the hoochie mama but one time I love it is doing general herd talk. Here is my routine that I lead off every calling setup with.

http://soundcloud.com/mattstanton-1/general-herd-talk

It actually pretty good when used like that. It mixes in some nice calf sounds. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby mattstanton » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 34]

I will use that routine in the first week and a half followed by some excited cow sounds and lastly followed by an immature bugle. I will then wait 5 minutes and then repeat doing this for 45 minutes to an hour. Bulls will come in frequently to check out the herd. Works great!
mattstanton

Postby Fullabull » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 35]

Thanks Slim, first time I have ever recorded myself. Think I should have done that before, it can really help you know what you sound like so you can make changes and make practice more productive.
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby slim9300 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 36]

Fullabull wrote:Thanks Slim, first time I have ever recorded myself. Think I should have done that before, it can really help you know what you sound like so you can make changes and make practice more productive.

I thought I was doing pretty well about six months ago. We did this same thing on Archery-Talk and I was given some private help from a member there along with some help from Elknut. 6 months later I don't think my calling sounds remotely similar. The improvement was huge for me. And the crazy part is that I had a high level of calling success before. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like come Sept. :)
slim9300

Postby ctdad » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 37]

[quote="slim9300"]I thought I was doing pretty well about six months ago. We did this same thing on Archery-Talk and I was given some private help from a member there along with some help from Elknut. 6 months later I don't think my calling sounds remotely similar. The improvement was huge for me. And the crazy part is that I had a high level of calling success before. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like come Sept. :)[/quote

I will echo this but from a different perspective. I just started learning to call elk this year. I was listening to elknut cd's and practicing at home. Even recording myself and listening back occasionally. I then started posting some sounds on AT as well and the feedback was great and helped me move my calling forward and getting better much quicker. With the season right around the corner, I'm firing up the practicing frequency and am glad we are doing the "post up your sounds" on here to help.
ctdad

Postby bonkellekter » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 38]

Fullabull wrote:Ok, just found this site, can't believe I didn't hear about it before. Looks like another forum I'll be hanging out in :D

Same here, Just found out about this site as well and glad I did!!... So here are some of my cow sounds, All please feel free to critique as you see fit! I am here to improve where ever possible.

Edit.... had wrong attachment on first attempt:

[ Play Quicktime file ] herd talk.mp3 [ 403.63 KiB | Viewed 21134 times ]

bonkellekter

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: MacArthur

Postby eltaco » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 39]

Still striving to get better at my cow/calf herd talk before September rolls around. Here's a baseline run.

http://soundcloud.com/eltaco/herd-talk
eltaco

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 40]

This one is being difficult for me but here is my latest.[url]Soundcloud.com/steve-jahnke/cows-7-9[/url]
Jahnke76

Postby Liv2Hunt » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 41]

Here is my offering for herd talk. I recorded three. The first uses three different kinds of calls. The second is only with a diaphragm and the third (my favorite) is with my new Phelps Game Calls open reed.

Let me know what you think and where I can improve.

http://soundcloud.com/ryan-urie/multi-c ... -calf-talk

http://soundcloud.com/ryan-urie/diaphrgm-cow-talk

http://soundcloud.com/ryan-urie/phelps- ... s-cow-talk
Liv2Hunt

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Urie

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 42]

Liv2Hunt wrote:Here is my offering for herd talk. I recorded three. The first uses three different kinds of calls. The second is only with a diaphragm and the third (my favorite) is with my new Phelps Game Calls open reed.

Let me know what you think and where I can improve.

http://soundcloud.com/ryan-urie/multi-c ... -calf-talk

http://soundcloud.com/ryan-urie/diaphrgm-cow-talk

http://soundcloud.com/ryan-urie/phelps- ... s-cow-talk

I gotta say, that Phelps sounds very good.. Your diaphram sounds are good also :) RJ
WapitiTalk1