Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

decoys for bugling bulls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

decoys for bugling bulls

Postby bowgy » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Who has used a decoy when they are " running and gunning " bulls? I carried a Montana decoy last year and never took it out of the pack. Whenever I had a bull bugling or was close to elk it seemed like it would be wasted time and too much movement to take off my pack and get the decoy out and set it up. I also thought I would probably have to move to a new set up spot in a hurry and I wouldn't be able to find the decoy later. I've read Paul's information on water, trail, and cold calling setups and those sound like great ideas if I can sit still I'm going to try them this year.
bowgy

decoys for bugling bulls

Postby iRem » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 2]

IMO....I think having any type of hand/carry decoy is a waste of my time, especially if you hunt alone. It would cause me to move around to much in order to get close or to get into position for a shot.
iRem

Re: decoys for bugling bulls

Postby elkmtngear » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I received this e-mail after last Season, it's a really good testimonial from a guy in a solo situation using the Elk Mountain SLIP elk decoy system:

Jeff,
So I thought that I would write a product review for the slip system that I got this year. I had an amazing encounter with a massive bull while bow hunting here in Montana. I was hunting with a friend of mine, when we spotted 3 bulls bedded down on the edge of a timber patch that was surrounded by open sage brush country. We quickly closed the distance, and we able to get inside 100 yards of these bulls, and I set up with the slip system while my partner moved ahead of me. I began to call, and a bull immediately started to bugle.

After sitting there for about 20 minutes my partner came back to me and said that he thought the elk had moved through the timber, so he decided that he would follow the elk while I hiked about 1/2 a mile to the top of the timber patch to see if the elk came out at a different place. Once I got to the top of the hill I could hear a bull bugleing just down in the timber, so I once again set up my slip system and began to cow call. We played cat and mouse for a little bit, and I finally found myself on a little ridge with a small ravine in between the bull and myself. The bull had moved out into the open sage brush, and I was set up on the edge of the timber.

Finally the bull came to his side of the coulee, and I ranged him at 80 yards. When the bull disapeered over the edge of the hill I moved the slip system out into the wide open and staked it in the ground, and I then ran down the coullee and made it half way up the other side when the bull came back to the ridge. The bull immediately locked onto the decoy, and was staring right over the top of me.

Now here comes the best part, and the worst part. I ranged the bull and he was 42 yards on the dot, and uphill from me. I drew my bow back, got a solid rest and let the arrow fly. To my disbelief the arrow sailed right over the top of the bulls back, he jumped a little bit and spun 180 degrees, never taking his eyes off the decoy. I once again ranged the bull and he was now 40 yards. I put my 40 yard pin dead center on his chest and let another arrow fly. Unbelievablely the arrow once again sailed right over the bulls back. I could not believe what was happening, and you might think I am lying but the bull just stood there and kept looking at the decoy. I again ranged the bull and he had not moved and was 40 yards on the money. This time I put my 40 yard pin on the bottom of his chest, got a solid rest and squeezed my release. The arrow flew true, and you would never believe it but I hit him right in the brisket. It was just before dark so my partner and I backed out and decided to come back in the morning.

After a sleepless night we went back and found some blood about 400 yards from where I shot the bull, and he bled only a little bit for about another 400 yards, and then the bleeding stopped. To my dismay we never found the bull, and I am sure that he is still alive and well. My partner guessed the bull at 350+ and I only knew that he was big. I shot my bow the next morning, and I hit the target dead on at 40 yards, so I am still trying to figure out where I went wrong.

The point of this story is that without the Elk Mountain Slip system, there is no chance in hell that I would have ever been able to sling 3 arrows at a herd bull. This system without a doubt works, and will keep bulls interested even if a hunter makes a mistake. Even though I don't have the massive bull on the ground, I still can not thank Elk Mountain Inc. enough for producing such a great product. Thanks.

Justin Jenness
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Re: decoys for bugling bulls

Postby elkmtngear » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 4]

As far as my own personal experience, I have only used decoys successfully when team hunting, always "running and gunning". But, like in the above example, I have witnessed a bull oblivious to the shooter, focused on the decoy, and eventually coming in to try to get the decoy's wind and walking into a death trap.

When we beta tested the SLIP System, we actually were able to use the Open Country Elk Decoy as a "shield" to move around a group of cows and spikes (two hunters behind one unit on an open ridge), to get into wind advantage on two rival bulls screaming at eachother back on a timbered ridge. One of those bulls came to the decoy on a string, unaware of the shooter who had moved out ahead. That scenario resulted in an 8 yard slam dunk on a respectable 6x6.

Besides having a near instant means of concealment whenever we get to an open park, one of the things I have grown to appreciate most, is having your elk decoy in hand as a walking stick. I have found I can move much quieter when trying to close the gap on elk in the timber, and if need be, I can deploy the decoy in half a second. I find I can hunt more aggressively, and I do not have to feel "pinned down".

The SLIP System is designed for "running and gunning"....when set up as a stalking blind, it is a simple matter of grabbing the handle, and moving ahead, and it spikes into the ground instantly.

Decoys are not a fool proof means of getting elk in the freezer, but in the right situation, they can be a great thing to have in hand.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor