Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Estrus Buzz

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Estrus Buzz

Postby Bull's eye » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hello Paul,

I'm not sure if this was asked before, but do you think that you could run a short video clip on how to make this sound ?

Thank you
Bull's eye

Re: Estrus Buzz

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Bulls eye, yes I am planning to share that sound on a short clip! I'll do my best to get to it this week, thanks for the request!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Estrus Buzz

Postby Buckriser » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Looks like the video is now up. Thanks Paul!
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Bulls Eye, yes I finally got a minute to post some info on it!! Does it help you out OK?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ctdad » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 5]

When do you use this call?
ctdad

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 6]

ctdad, here's a link to the Tips & Tactics Forum up above about the uses of this Estrus Buzz! viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Bull's eye » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Thank you very much Paul for the video very helpful as usual.

Great site by the way
Bull's eye

Postby ctdad » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Could anybody give an example of when and how they used this call in the field? I read the tips and tactics info. Very good info. I'd really be interested to hear about a situation where this call has worked and how the entire situation went down.
ctdad

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 9]

ctdad, better yet, since you've read the info on it how do you feel when & where this sound would be used best?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ctdad » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I'm thinking this call would be best used to add exclamation or excitement while in a calling situation to attempt to stand out. My thought is that if you got into a vocal herd and were trying to get sound different than the other cows, this would be a good way to stand out. Another thought I had was if you had a vocal bull you were working, this call could ramp up the excitement and get a reluctant bull willing to come all the way in.

I've never used this call in an actual hunting situation, so my ideas are only theories.

Thoughts?
ctdad

Postby Wyo67 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Used it a couple of years ago on a bull that had gone quiet, gathered up his cows and was heading away from us. It was a last ditch attempt to get the bull vocal again, which it did for a few more minutes but we were unable to work our way around the herd and get in front of them. I think it's one of those calls that elk haven't been hunter-educated to and you may be able to get them to respond when other calls aren't working.

Mike
Wyo67

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 12]

ctdad, when considering the use of any elk sound we need to have a general idea as to what the sound means to elk & when they themselves use it? We in turn can then understand it when hearing it or know when to accurately use it for communication within their ranks.

Elk use the Estrus Buzz year around, this is not a mating call at all. I call it this for lack of a better name, I've racked my brain trying to come up with another but to date have failed!(grin) This sound is used by elk when apart from a group or the group! It's used to locate other elk they know are in the area or have heard in the area. It can be an invite or where are you I heard you but cannot find you? It can take on mild tones when elk are talking to or inviting other elk on over. It can take on more urgent or demanding tones when not receiving a satisfying response of herd location! It's used in travel as elk transition from bedding to feeding or vice versa.

With these things in mind you can now gain an understanding of when they use it & get the creative wheels turning & you can see where we as hunters can use it! It's a great Locater Sound or can be used effectively in a Blind/Cold Calling Setup! If other elk are spotted at a distance & you have good cover this sound when used in a persistent fashion can draw those elk your way! We've used it in all these situations at one time or another & have drawn elk right on top of us, it will draw bulls or cows alike!

Here is an action clip of a cow using this sound in an urgent tone fashion! The hunter had been cow calling & this cow heard him at a distance of nearly a 1/2 mile away, he could hear this cow giving this odd sound,(Estrus Buzz) look at how this young cow is using it & how she's in full search mode of the cows she knows she heard there! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrW-OAn8VA4

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul