Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

He sounds big...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

He sounds big...

Postby Buckriser » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So...... Are you really able to tell how big of a bull it is just by hearing his bugle? The reason I bring it up is that I have been watching a number of my elk hunting DVD's and sometimes they will pass on a decent bull because the other they are hearing sounds bigger? Does a rag horn bull sound different from a heard bull? and if so, how can I tell the difference? Does he just sound more intimidating?
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Re: He sounds big...

Postby elkmtngear » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 2]

A couple years back, during a warm silent spell, we went after a bull across on a big timbered ridge, who sort of sounded like a dinker. Turned out to be a 340 herd bull that we almost arrowed by getting close and calling aggressively, and sucking him in with a decoy. Taught me a lesson about trying to judge elk by sound.

The bull in this photo ripped a bugle right behind me that sounded like one of the biggest bulls I had ever heard, just before he circled around me and I was able to get a steep quartering away shot. Just another raghorn 5x5

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I think understanding elk language is the key factor in determining herd bull vs satellite bull. Just like elkmtngear, I've been suprised a couple of times so I would never put money on guessing the size. My 2-cents.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Buckriser » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Good to know,and elkmtgear, any animal with a bow is a trophy, I'd take that bull anyday! congrats.
Buckriser

Postby elkmtngear » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Buckriser wrote: any animal with a bow is a trophy

Thanks Buckriser, I completely agree with that statement!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Without a doubt, yes! Nothing in this world is a 100% accurate! But for the most part you can tell an immature bull to a mature bull! There are other things to consider as well especially his aggressive actions! I'm not going to get into all facets here.

But, with experience of hearing 100's & 100's of bugles you will have a trained ear to tell bulls apart! Doesn't mean you can score them by sound but their sound can tell you volumes about their possible age or matureness! There are many considerations here, but yes you can tell them apart for the most part!

Don't be fooled by TV Show bugling! Many times you will watch a show & hear a bruiser screaming & in comes a spindly 5 point & the guy shoots him! They all high 5 & when things cool down they talk about this smaller guy & what a big bugle he had, then they say, you see you can't tell a bulls size by his bugle? Fact is, they did not shoot the bull they heard, they shot a curious satellite sneaking in to the commotion! This happens a lot & fools lots of hunters thinking they killed the bull they heard! It doesn't always happen but enough to throw guys off!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mongopino915 » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I maybe wrong but from my short experience in the wood, I have come to the conclusion that big mature bulls can sound young and wimpy but a true young bull can not sound like the biggest and baddest bull in the wood. A true young bull will lack that nasty gutteral thump and growl in end note. The tone, intensity and meaning of the bugle can also give signs of maturity. I can say that if a bull can send out a full bugle, it is mostly likely a legal bull for the take. I have yet to see and hear a 1 - 2 point rag horn send out a sound that resembles a full bugle or growl. I could be wrong.
mongopino915

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 8]

No, you are not wrong at all in your various thoughts! The things we hunters need to consider is that herd bulls too make sounds for specific communication. Herd Bulls do not just give spectacular ear shattering challenges, when they do there's no doubt as to their dominant sounds! But they will also make subtle sounds within the herd as they keep track & manage the cows, so don't be fooled by a bigger bull making lesser sounds, he's just talking to the harem or coaxing others to stay close by, not always but many times that's all that is happening! He can use subtle sounds as well if you cow called & invites you over, understanding what you're hearing is the key here, not how big is the sound!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby sockeye » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Buckriser, If you havn't already I recommend Elknuts playbook, honestly I just bought the audio version last week. It will open you mind to the language of the elk. I have never met Paul, just spoke to him over the phone..I am not endorsed (Paul if you need a Wyo rep :D )... However I understand what your saying I was in the same boat as you. Now after reading the rosetta stone of elk it is not HOW the bull sounds but, WHAT the bull is saying that you can tell if he will have cows or not. Will he be a heard bull with cows or a sattelite/loner wanting some cheap action or looking for others.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby mongopino915 » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Two years ago, I send out a soft locating bugle and had two response from two different bulls. The first was a wimpy squel but closer to us and the second was a thundering bugle but farther away. My hunting partner wanted to go after the bigger sounding bull but I convinced him to go after the closer younger sounding bull. The reasons being distance and favorable wind direction. As we got closer, I send out another locating bugle and this wimpy sounding bull responded with a tiger growl. Right then and there, I knew he was a herd bull and means business. After about 30 minutes of working this bull, we finally got visual and the bull was actually a nice 6x6 - 320" plus with about 15 cows/calves. As usual, he managed to elude the broadhead, thanks to the wind shifting.

When hunting on OTC public land - If you hear a real bull elk bugle (provided you can tell that it is not made by another hunter), it's game on no matter what he sounds like.
mongopino915

Postby Dirty D » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 11]

But who here can resist going after that bugle that sounds like tank!!

Not me.
Dirty D

He sounds big...

Postby Buckriser » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Dirty D wrote:But who here can resist going after that bugle that sounds like tank!!

Not me.

Very true.
Buckriser