Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Herd Bull or Satellite?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Herd Bull or Satellite?

Postby IDWapiti » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 1]

How quickly should you be able to recognize this? How does your calling strategy change once you know (or THINK you know)?
IDWapiti

Re: Herd Bull or Satellite?

Postby elkmtngear » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 2]

"Herd Bull" and "Satellite Bull" are temporary titles sometimes during rut hunts....I mean, if it is a 320 bull that is circling the herd of a larger bull, are you really going to discriminate? Big bulls are run out of herds all the time, and your tactics should change depending upon whether they have cows or not.

Even a smallish bull with a single cow will sometimes come in aggressively if challenged......that is exactly how this little guy was killed, he came in looking to defend his cow and kick my buddy's ass, and I shot him at 8 yds.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby elkmtngear » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Conversely, this was a Satellite Bull that I was able to pull in away from a herd from a long distance, using aggressive cow calling. Our decoy worked great to help calm him down in a swirly wind (I was watching him and calling from behind the decoy at 15 yds or less), and when he came around to wind the decoy, Cory was able to get the double lung on him.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I don't purposely threaten or intimidate a satellite! The toughest ones at times to tell are the lone bull sounds, yes he could have a cow or two but when not being harassed by other bulls you're going by his sound only! So, I have to listen intently on the sounds he's making, is he talking to his cows? Is he trying to locate cows? Is he chuckling? Is he immature in sound? When not sure I play it safe & go with what he is responding too! Let's say I'm not sure but he responds to excited cow calling, if he is 200yds out but will not come & is steadily calling to me that shows me the odds are good he has cows & will not leave them so is calling this new cow his way to join up! So go to him!

Herd bulls of respectable age & quality have there coarse mature sounds & usually are much easier to pick out! There are lots of techniques to use on these critters! There's getting in tight & challenging them! (inside 80yds) There's cow calling & running at him as he invites you! There's the use of The Threat with Bull Cow sounds combined!!

We read the sign, meaning we listen to their sounds & do our best in deciding what we are up against! Way more times than not we are correct in our evaluation, doesn't mean we kill them all but we do have a lot of close encounters! There is no cut & dry one syllable answer to each one, you must adjust & adapt to them individually! Some are interested in an Elk Party! When they are, go for it as it draws them closer!

How quickly, within one or two sounds, too, are they heading your way or staying put? Are they very whiny, generally a satellite! Are they bugling & chuckling trying to get you to come & not really getting any closer, if so good chance he's a herd bull! With practice you will have a good gut feeling as to what is what, it does take time & hearing lots of bulls!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul