Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What would you do?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What would you do?

Postby Elksniper1 » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 1]

In all honesty what would you do? The scenario. You come across a bugling bull he's bugling hard, you engage and you have put in subsatantial effort to this point you are within 100 yards and he is 90% ready you notice some commotion coming behind you , and here comes other hunters on horseback you step out so they see you hoping to let them know you are working this
bull and they just wave and ride around you towards the bull ?
This is on public land so everyone has the right ,I get that, but ethically what has happpened to archery hunters? They used to be a tight group of super dedicated people. Just wondering what most people would do ? Maybe I am way off base!
Elksniper1

Re: What would you do?

Postby Goneelkn » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I've been on both sides of that. Someone came in while i was working a bull, they knew i was working it and continued on toward the bull, I got out in open sight of the bull and start talking to them, real loudly.
Another time i thought i hit a gold mine. Three bulls bugling, i snuck in and then noticed one was another hunter and two were bulls. We seen each about the same time. I could see how disgusted he was when he seen me. I motioned him to go ahead and i backed out, more carefully than i came in. I did not want to mess him up.
I would hope that everyone would be respectful in that situation, but i know there are more and more people out there that do not care about right and wrong, just about themselves.
Goneelkn

Postby LONEBULL » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I've had numerous times where other hunters have screwed things up for me. It does drive you nuts sometimes but I hunt public ground so there isn't much you can do about it. I try to be curtious and if I run into other hunters I ask where they are headed and try another spot. You don't always find people that act the same way.
LONEBULL

Postby T/H » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

i'd swallow my pride and go find another bull. confrontation with humans in the elkwoods just isn't worth it.
T/H

Postby dotman » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I would be pissed but I would also move on. I personally would never ruin someone else chance knowingly even if the same person previously did it to me. Not everyone in this world respects other, their ownself always comes first, including some bowhunters.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I would have waited just long enough to see the riders, wave give the one hand up in the halt position & pump it several times. I then would have started cow calling excitedly & went straight at the bull or the needed course to have the wind & cover to my advantage. That bull would also hear those horses thinking it was elk on the move, it could have been good for you to get aggressive & make something out of a potential bad situation! Hey man, you were there 1st so you gotta try!!! (grin) It could have turned into a great shot opportunity. We've taken a few bulls with this exact action! Something to think about?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Mutual cooperation and pleasentries go a long ways. Like Paul said, give them the idea you are working a bull and try to spin the situation to work in your favor. If things don't work out with the bull make sure to remain freindly. Maybe even go shoot the breeze with them and see what kind a guys they are. If they aren't freindly, be the better man and move on. Five years ago I came across a simuliar encounter. I visited with a couple guys on horseback after they blew out a herd I was working. They appoligized and offered me a nice cold soda from their pack cooler. After, they offered their stock if I needed to haul out an animal. Two days later we killed a bull 5 miles in and we took them up on their offer.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Lefty » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Use to happen all too often rifle deer hunting. I motioned with a "halt" hand sign, Ive walked back to them, Ive put my finger to my mouth,.. less than 1/3 were helpful,.. I walk fast towards guys on ATV's , hopefully my body language scares them off ( in closed to ATV areas).

I had a short talk on ethics with one fellow when rifle hunting. He followed my footprints in deep snow, right to me. because I was "where he planned to hunt"

What Ive seen if they are good hunters they move off. Seems like 1/2 enjoy messing up someones hunt.

I like Pauls suggestion
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elksniper1 » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 9]

These individuals were also archery hunting or at least carrying bows. We just chalked it up to rude,but it is good to hear that most of the replies are aligned with my thinking, plenty of other elk out there. I do like the idea of blowing the elk outta there ,because it was totally obvious they were intent on beating us to the bull. We did entertain the idea of waiting till they got off there horses and then cutting there cinches and sneaking away. I totally agree with elknut , elk love the sound of horses and we woulda tried if these were just cowboys or riders or if there was a chance to use for our advantage but these guys were just plain jerks, and I was pretty disappointed that they call themselves bow hunters .
Elksniper1

Postby westaner » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I would have definitely stopped them and had a discussion about who's first in line and they can have a crack at them after since they can keep up on horseback!
If they still don't care and are jerks, give them some of their own medicine. But that can cause problems down the road too!
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby POk3s » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 11]

If they go around you and are headed straight away.....aim high ;)
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ETHunter » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I would try and beat them to the bull or put myself into a position to get the bull if they spooked him. I would do anything but walk away.
ETHunter

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 13]

POk3s wrote:If they go around you and are headed straight away.....aim high ;)

Aim high........LMAO!
JohnFitzgerald