Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Guess this elk sound #4

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Guess this elk sound #4

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Provided for your viewing enjoyment and potentially, elk education for some of the new guys, is the "guess this elk sound #4". Not my best effort, but it should get the job done. Here's a hint, it's a ????? with ???????? :) What is the sound, and perhaps, what does it mean when heard in the elk woods. RJ

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Guess this elk sound #4

Postby Elktracker » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Sounds like the lone bull whistleing fight call used primarily to lure in small elk to get a visual or size them up for mating, very affective in the right situations! :P nice calling too :D

Josh
Elktracker

Guess this elk sound #4

Postby slim9300 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

That's clearly a bugle with chuckles to me. As you know chuckles are much different than grunts and are a bull's method of rounding up / controlling / calling in cows. Bottom line is that they are directed at cows and not bulls. The mistake that I made for years before I found Elknut was to challenge a bull that was chuckling thinking he was riled up. That is the WORST thing you can do unless you are so close he just snaps, but it's still low percentage. Give him what wants or present a "threat" that he can't refuse. Here's my attempt at a similar sound. In all reality the chuckles could be even faster paced.

http://soundcloud.com/slim9300/cow-gathering-scream-with
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

slim9300 wrote:That's clearly a bugle with chuckles to me. As you know chuckles are much different than grunts and are a bull's method of rounding up / controlling / calling in cows. Bottom line is that they are directed at cows and not bulls.

Bingo.. Allright Slim.. You've received an answer or hear an unsolicited bugle from a target area..... Moving in the direction of the bull, moving as quiety as possible in the given terrain, you get to a position to where you think you may be very close to being in his bedroom (bull hanging with his cows). You hear the sound I just made as you arrive and you've determined it's a bull bugling with chuckles.. What's your move? This guy is obviously working/calling his cows. You're within 60 -70 yards and hear this dude make these sounds. The cover is pretty good and consistent but not so good as you can move in much closer from your current position. So you decide to.......
WapitiTalk1

Guess this elk sound #4

Postby slim9300 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Phantom16 wrote:
slim9300 wrote:That's clearly a bugle with chuckles to me. As you know chuckles are much different than grunts and are a bull's method of rounding up / controlling / calling in cows. Bottom line is that they are directed at cows and not bulls.

Bingo.. Allright Slim.. You've received an answer or hear an unsolicited bugle from a target area..... Moving in the direction of the bull, moving as quiety as possible in the given terrain, you get to a position to where you think you may be very close to being in his bedroom (bull hanging with his cows). You hear the sound I just made as you arrive and you've determined it's a bull bugling with chuckles.. What's your move? This guy is obviously working/calling his cows. You're within 60 -70 yards and hear this dude make these sounds. The cover is pretty good and consistent but not so good as you can move in much closer from your current position. So you decide to.......

Attempt #1 would be 2 excited cow calls "aimed" behind me. This should get the bull coming over to round you up or a short scream to "encourage" you come to him. If he holding up and won't leave his cows my next move would be to fire up level 2 or 3 of the threat. I would start with 5-6 pained / distressed cow sounds followed by some chuckling and stomping. At this point the bull is either charging right in or he's belting out a challenge bugle. If he responds with the latter I would cut him right off with a gnarly scream with the hardest hitting grunts I could muster along with some snapping of branches (ie. raking). I would guess this would either be the last straw or you found the one "sensitive" bull on the mountain. I have yet to find a "sensitive" bull in this situation. ;)
slim9300

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Phantom, thanks! Good job, not a challenge but a bull talking to his cows or trying to persuade one he smells, hears or sees to come his way!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Second offering on "bugles with chuckles". Paul recommended I cut the bugle duration down by a second or two so here it is.. What do you guys think? Oh, if anybody wishes to post their sounds up during these threads, please do so. A guy can learn a lot from the recommendations for adjustment from other hunters and experts alike. RJ

WapitiTalk1

Postby Elktracker » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I think that sounds better 0.02 nice calling!

Josh
Elktracker

Guess this elk sound #4

Postby slim9300 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Phantom16 wrote:Second offering on "bugles with chuckles". Paul recommended I cut the bugle duration down by a second or two so here it is.. What do you guys think? Oh, if anybody wishes to post their sounds up during these threads, please do so. A guy can learn a lot from the recommendations for adjustment from other hunters and experts alike. RJ

Now you just need two pieces of dock foam as a backstop and you are set. How far do you think you can get?
slim9300

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 10]

slim9300 wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:Second offering on "bugles with chuckles". Paul recommended I cut the bugle duration down by a second or two so here it is.. What do you guys think? Oh, if anybody wishes to post their sounds up during these threads, please do so. A guy can learn a lot from the recommendations for adjustment from other hunters and experts alike. RJ

Now you just need two pieces of dock foam as a backstop and you are set. How far do you think you can get?

Work in progress, but, I'm floored that I haven't worked on some shooting lanes on my property before this year :) I'll need some instructional guidance before I start launching beyond sixty though... Are you available :) I can get any distance cleared... I have 5 1/2 acres.
WapitiTalk1

Guess this elk sound #4

Postby slim9300 » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Phantom16 wrote:[Work in progress, but, I'm floored that I haven't worked on some shooting lanes on my property before this year :) I'll need some instructional guidance before I start launching beyond sixty though... Are you available :) I can get any distance cleared... I have 5 1/2 acres.

Once I get back from the land of the sunshine. ;)
slim9300

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Not sure if it's my PC speakers or not but the sounds were so distant sounding I could barely hear them oh high volume! I know the sound used but was tough to hear! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I think he was just a little too far from the cam/ mic Paul. I was going to suggest shortening the bugle up also, but you beat me to it. The second attempt was much better Phantom. Nice work!
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 14]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I think he was just a little too far from the cam/ mic Paul. I was going to suggest shortening the bugle up also, but you beat me to it. The second attempt was much better Phantom. Nice work!

Thanks >>>---WW---->, I know I get carried away with the length of my bugles on these threads. Note to self, "send Elknut a set of external PC speakers for Xmas" :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Ha Ha, or hearing aids!!! (big grin) I have selective hearing, this means I can't hear my wife either! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Guess this elk sound #4

Postby slim9300 » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 16]

ElkNut1 wrote:Ha Ha, or hearing aids!!! (big grin) I have selective hearing, this means I can't hear my wife either! (grin)

ElkNut1

Looks like we have yet another thing in common Paul. ;)
slim9300