Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Which game bags?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Which game bags?

Postby Moose-head » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

The thread about boning vs. quartering got me thinking about this and I didn’t want to hijack that thread. I use game bags that my wife sewed out of muslin (I think that is what it is called it is a cheap canvas like material that she gets at the craft store) I have seen similar store bought bags. I know that there are some really lightweight bags available (Tag bags etc.). What game bags are people using? Also what sizes are most useful?
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Re: Which game bags?

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

No doubt there are many respectable brands on the market today! The things we look for in an elk bag, are --"packable for 4"-- "long enough"-- "tight netting under load"-- "cost" These are top priority for us so they easily fit into any pack. We always have our game bags with us & have used the Allen Outfitter Grade bags for nearly 17 years with no issues! http://stores.elknut.com/Categories.bok ... e+Bags+etc

As I say, they are not the only good ones but these have served us so well we carry & use them! You can see the tight knitting in this photo, all are the same Allen bags! This is the bull were hauling out with them!

ElkNut1
Attachments
Jerry 2010 Bull 09.jpg
Jerry 2010 Bull 09.jpg (159.12 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
Jerry 2010 Bull 17.jpg
Jerry 2010 Bull 17.jpg (180.95 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkManDan » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Alaskan game bags all the way. 2 years ago I made the mistake of letting my buddy use my game bags on his bull and he promised me that he would buy me a set on the way back to camp after dropping off his meat at the butcher. When he got back he informed me that they did not have any Alaskan game bags at Walmart so he got me what they had. Luckily when I shot my bull he ran straight downhill and died right off a road and I didn't have to use them. I was finally able to get rid of them on my brothers bull the next year, he used them and replaced them with a set of Alaskan bags :-) The reason I like them is the threads are woven tightly and they don't allow the flies to get in, the others had loose woven threads and flies could easily lay their eggs in with the meat. This is important when archery hunting in the warm weather. The bags are also incredibly strong. I just tie a knot in the end and can hang by the knot with parachute cord.

A huge tip that I think every elk hunter should do is to always carry a set of gamebags in your pack, that way you don't have to borrow your buddies!
ElkManDan

Postby Elktracker » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I really like the game bags Elknut sells they are tough as nails, they pack down small, its a very tight weave so your meat stays clean while packing or in the field and they are very affordable! Check out the link Elknut1 posted those are the bags you want, you wont be dissapointed!

Josh
Elktracker

Postby Goneelkn » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I use Alaskan and have never let me down.
You can also look at the other thread that is going on this

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Goneelkn