Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Go To Cow Call

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Go To Cow Call

Postby Hornhunter » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

What is everybodys go to cow call ? I use the who yrr daddy made by bugling bull game call and a primos hyper lip single. Gonna try 1 of Jason Phelps calls and the Glen Berry Sleazy and fatal attraction cow calls this yr
Hornhunter

Re: Go To Cow Call

Postby Buckriser » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Im going to try out the "who's your daddy" signature series call this year. I have the other one (plastic) and it doesnt sound the same (to me) as the wood one. Im also going to try out the Mellow yellow as well.
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

For years I have preferred the little black bite and blow Jones cow call. It is easy to carry and retreive like a small neckless. I have heard some negative comments on how it sounds, but it works. If I am out calling and want a cow sound I prefer a single or double reed diaphram.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Go To Cow Call

Postby iRem » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have many cow calls that I have used but rarely use them now, but to date my go to is Mellow Yellow! Just a few months ago I purchased my newest call from Jason Phelps! I really like the tones that comes out of the call! As I continue to practice with all of my cow calls I just can't can't make the same tones that I get from Phelps Game Calls,which is not a problem since I'm a big believer in make different tones with different calls!!
iRem

Postby Brad Peterson » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

my go to is a carlton fighting cow call. Can have very good volume when needed and also quieter when needed
Brad Peterson

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I like to use Sceery(Ace 1 - 3). My experience is that the soft rubbery exhaust port helps resonates sound better. I keep hearing good things about the call from Mr. Phelps so I might just have to buy one.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby spyder24 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I like the Hiper Lip Single and the Lead Cow and Calf call. Both calls are made by Primos. It is best to carry two Hiper Lip Single calls because it does appear that saliva does affect them easier than some calls but I have had good success with them. Good Luck, Mike
spyder24

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Berry X5 diaphram with a Carlton Bull Hooker to mix up the sounds a bit.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elktracker » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 9]

My go to is a mouth reed I like the All Star and the closer by bugling bull game calls for all sounds, I also carry a couple other cow callsfor imitating a group of Elk one being the Primos Lead Cow and Calf and I like the sound it has as well.

Josh
Elktracker

Postby welka » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Green tormenter, yellow mama, primos estrous reed, smallest sceery call for up close and to mix up sounds when doing a set up. Have tied many other mouth calls, but the only ones that I have tried so far that work almost every call is the green tormenter and yellow. Good luck to all.
welka

Postby eltaco » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Bugling bull herd master (white) diaphragm reed and who's yrrr daddy plastic body call are my favorites. We've also had great luck with the Carlton Estrous Whine call.
eltaco

Postby westaner » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Primos hyperlip single, Carltons estrus whine both have plastic bells on end that give them a mouthy / nasal cavity tone. I'm always buying calls! I could fill a back pack with all of them!
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 13]

For me, I use a mouth reed for 95% of all cow sounds, well for bull sounds too! I do like the great tone of the Temptress cow call & am interested to hear the new ones by Jason! But for most it's the Closer reed, Raging Bull is 2nd choice, these two are very good with great results!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 14]

For cow calling I'm 50% external(Sceery) 50% internal reed.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby sockeye » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 15]

90% mouth reed (mellow Yellow) 10% external (Temptress). I did purchase the closer last week and have been practicing with that as well.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby elkohalic » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 16]

My favorite is one from carlton, not sure what one it is. I have had it so long the sticker and all the writing is gone. maybe someone else knows what it is? 2 1/5 inch long call has an adjustable green sheep band on it.
I'm hoping to change that and go to a mouth reed this year. tho I will still have it in my pocket
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby easeup » 06 30, 2012 •  [Post 17]

At the time to draw I have the re Ed in my mouth. But the go to call is the seercy A1.
It is almost foolproof, so a guy like me can use it.
easeup

Postby elkaholic » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Im a fan of the Temptress for an external call. My choice reeds being the bright yellow Berry diaphragm and the All Star. I have the Closer coming soon next week so I'm looking forward to playing with that one..
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby T/H » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 19]

fightin cow and temptress for external's
T/H

Postby Stiknstring » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Sceery Ace, is my "Go to", but I like the Jones "bite and blow" for calf sounds.
I carry a pocket full, but seem to use my Sceery, or a diaphragm and get the most responses.
Stiknstring

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Blake