Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting?

Postby huzkers89 » 05 29, 2012 •  [Post 1]

If scouting in July for new hunting areas and find elk will they hang around untill september if not presured?

cheers

Zelko
huzkers89

Re: Scouting?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 29, 2012 •  [Post 2]

You said the magic words, (if not pressured). Elk are on their summer range, depending on how much snow is left, all the way from mid June to mid September, and often even longer.

But they sure can get pressued out of the area by hikers,bikers, campers, and livestock just to name a few.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby huzkers89 » 05 29, 2012 •  [Post 3]

do they return in a week or two or are they gone till next season?
cheers

ZB
huzkers89

Postby POk3s » 05 29, 2012 •  [Post 4]

depends how badly they were spooked. Really that's a guessing game. They're elk and they'll do whatever they want, especially when searching for a place to "live" for the summer. If they're continually being pressured they're gone, if they see a person once and get bumped but like where they're at they won't go far and will be back.

Trent Williams
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Goat Boy » 05 29, 2012 •  [Post 5]

In my experience I would say not necessarily. I spend a lot of time in the spring and summer months scouting for elk and in the countless days weeks and months I have come to relies that like clock work come around mid to end of July the bulls start to split up and move off their early summer range. Then when the velvet starts to come off they may move again. The mature bulls usually will go off completely on their own and may not even be seen with cows in tell september. Spikes and Rag horns will tend to stay grouped together clear into the second to third week of august. Then it seems like almost overnight they will find a harem of cows and this is where the rutting behavior starts to take shape. Well with that said give and take a few things I think you know how the rest of the story goes from here.
"You're never lost if you don't care where you're at"
Goat Boy

Postby bowhunterty » 05 30, 2012 •  [Post 6]

In the areas I hunt I will usually find them in the same area. Hunting pressure will move the elk more then anything. I've also found that after time with no pressure, they will move back into the same area. Most of my scouting in my favorite area are done with a spotting scope and binos.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 01, 2012 •  [Post 7]

One thing I forgot to mention. When you are doing your summer scouting, don't worry too much about finding bulls. It is nice if you do locate them. But, they may or may not be where you found them when hunting season finally rolls around.

Instead, try to spend your time finding the cow herds. Where the cows are in July and early August is where you will find the bulls in September!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby BowElkDwn » 06 05, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I agree with WW. Look for the cows. Here in Idaho there are so many different sheep flocks that our elk get moved around alot. I don't think the elk would go very far from where they are in july unless they get pressure like sheep can do.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby bowhunterty » 06 06, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I've also found the elk in my area may not be in the area one year, but the following year they will. That is during the hunting season. I usually have three areas I hunt hard depending on my scouting and pressure. I hunt national forest so during wet years the pressure isn't bad. Fire danger makes prerssure worse.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby In-S-Heart » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I'm a newbe at Elk hunting - started in '93.

In the area where we hunt there is a main walking/hiking/motorcycle trail that goes right through our main park.

Last year on Labor day weekend there were motorcycles going by all day Saturday & Sunday, yet we saw Elk right next to the trail. I think, for the most part, the Elk have gotten used to people in this area.Then the Sheep moved in and the elk vanished. I went (straight line by the GPS) 2.87 miles from the area and found the elk - killed a nice fat cow. As a matter of fact I ate the last of the steaks yesterday.
In-S-Heart

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 10, 2012 •  [Post 11]

In-S-Heart, sounds like you had issues as bowelkdown with the sheep! Congrats on the cow, they are awesome table fare & a great trophy to boot!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Stiknstring » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 12]

In the area I hunt, they pretty much live year round, will move to different parts of the same drainage, but really have no need to go anywhere.
In the thick brush of coastal Washington, they feel pretty safe from 2 legged predators, a couple herds even hang out on private property, in plain sight of the road.
Last year there was even a herd hanging out in town, between the post office and the school.
Stiknstring

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Blake