Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's for chow?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's for chow?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Thought I'd start this one up. Figured some folks planning their first pack in wapiti hunt would get some benefit from this. Soooo... you're doing a 5 day backpack trip into the wilds of the MT, ID, CO, UT, WY, OR, etc.... What will you eat each day? Not talking an outfitter deal, where chow is part of the package. Strictly for the DIY folks who are making their list and checking it twice :) Obviously, it's gotta be lightweight, provide the carbs/cals needed, and remotely taste relatively good. For me, it's a Starbucks Via packet of coffee in the morning and a Bridgeford pastry. Mid morning snack is a couple of Nature's Valley Sweet and Salty granola bars. Lunch is another cold snack, a Bridgeford sandwich. Afternoon snack, some chia seeds and another granola bar. For dinner, it's a Mountain House meal. I'm also packing some boulion cubes (chicken/beef) for a hot drink in the evening. Honestly, I've never tried the Bridgeford brand and have heard mixed reviews but I'm gonna learn by trial and error this year on my two week September Idaho backcountry adventure. I'll hunt the first leg and come back to the trail head for either resupply or to move on to target area number 2..

So, what's on your menu? RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What's for chow?

Postby 6t4nova » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Breakfast will be some oatmeal or some kind of breakfast bar. Lunch is PBB tortilla, powerbar mojo or similar. I usually snack on different things during the day such as nut and fruit mix or jerky. Dinner this year will be a mix of MH meals but I am also going to try out the Hawk Vittles and see how they are. I have heard good things about them so I am looking forward to a change.
6t4nova

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I think while you folks are out eating granola and energy bars I will have a regular light breakfast. About noon I will head back to camp for a full cooked lunch. For dinner it is another light, but hot meal. I will have an energy bar or apple for a snack too, but I am not in the wilderness either. Next year I am preparing for the MH and granola hunt. Boy am I gonna miss a good cooked meal.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Freebird134 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I'm still working out my menu, but I'm trying to go light and cheap on our week of elk bivy hunting. Mountain houses are delicious but expensive, and also not high in the calorie to weight ratio. So I'm trying to work out my own recipes for dinner using dehydrated ground venison, olive oil, mashed potato flakes, and other stuff. I'll probably do something with ramen a night or two also. I'm sure I'll have a couple mountain house dinners during the course of the week.

I don't need/want a warm breakfast, so I'll be packing cliff bars or similar. Lunch and daytime snacks will also be easy, high calorie to weight foods. I'm thinking about going heavy on the nuts: Macadamia nuts are really, really calorie dense and I love them, and pistachios and sunflower seeds are also really high in calorie : weight.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby elkmtngear » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Trying to keep it light and simple this Season.

Breakfast- Oatmeal Packet
Lunch- http://elkmtngear.com/blog/peanut-butter-and-bacon-sandwiches.html (vacuum packed Peanut Butter, Bacon and Creamed Honey on Whole grain toast)
Daytime snack- Fruit/Nut mix packets
Dinner- Mountain House and/or Instant potato packet
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby dotman » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

This year I'm not going to eat :) well other then one breakfast and a snack :)
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 7]

dotman wrote:This year I'm not going to eat :) well other then one breakfast and a snack :)

and slow/sick field mice, and baby endangered owl species, and semi-fresh elk droppings, and pollywogs, and tree bark, and the blazer vanes off one arrow each day, and un-identified mushrooms, pieces of drop horns, ....... You are a mountain man Tim :)
WapitiTalk1

Postby dotman » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Phantom16 wrote:
dotman wrote:This year I'm not going to eat :) well other then one breakfast and a snack :)

and slow/sick field mice, and baby endangered owl species, and semi-fresh elk droppings, and pollywogs, and tree bark, and the blazer vanes off one arrow each day, and un-identified mushrooms, pieces of drop horns, ....... You are a mountain man Tim :)

Hahahahah...... maybe I should be on that new series :)
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 9]

[/quote] maybe I should be on that new series :)[/quote]

No way, they wouldn't eat pollywogs :) They'd just call out for pizza (well, except for that guy in Alaska.. he's kind of got the bark on... kind of).
WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 10]

LOL!!!!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dotman » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Crap, so here I sit in my tarp and now I want a snack! Maybe a mouse will happen by or a racoon will attack me, good thing i'm packing the 44 for bear protection :)
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 12]

dotman wrote:Crap, so here I sit in my tarp and now I want a snack! Maybe a mouse will happen by or a racoon will attack me, good thing i'm packing the 44 for bear protection :)

I'm high jacking my own thread :( Refer to this link to see what the heck he's talking about...... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=164

As most of us are hanging in the house with wife, dogs, cats, and mother in laws (yeah, I know) and screwing around on our computers.. Dotman has set up his entire backcountry hunting gear (tarp, bag, etc., etc., etc.) in his backyard to "check it out".. and sleep there tonight.. If I remember correctly, he'll wake up early tomorrow, have his coffee and breakfast using his pack stove, pack up his gear, and off he goes on a 39 mile hike or something like that... :)
WapitiTalk1