Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bonus animals while elk hunting (deer, bear, etc)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Freebird134 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I was wondering your thoughts on killing other species while elk hunting. Most places in Idaho--for example--you can have an elk, deer, bear, cougar, and wolf tag. That's probably not the case in a lot of western states with less OTC hunting opportunities. Further, I think Idaho has a new rule letting you put an elk or deer tag on a bear, cougar or wolf.

Any experiences with non-target animals? Do you ever switch gears when you see deer or bear and say "this elk hunt is temporarily suspended"? We've definitely had shots at mule deer while elk hunting, but thats it. I'll have a deer tag during our elk hunt this year, though I don't plan to focus on deer at all.....unless an opportunity really presents itself! And I'd happily hang my deer tag on a bear or mt lion! :D
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: Bonus animals while elk hunting (deer, bear, etc)

Postby LckyTylr » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I shot a small mulie buck last year on the last day of my archery elk season. I had previously passed other bucks during the season because I knew it would force me to go home early without an elk. I had finally called it quits and was headed back to camp to start packing up when I stumbled upon a 2 point drinking out of a puddle. He had no idea I was there at 50 yards, so I I crept up to 34 yards and let him have it. He was just above camp, so I gutted him, rolled him down the hill and loaded him into the truck. It made it a little easier to swallow that I'd been skunked again on Elk.

I don't know if I'd put my Elk tag on a Bear, I probably would put it on a cat or a Wolf, I guess it depends on how late in the season it is.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby dotman » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I have thought about adding a bear tag but as a NR western hunter it gets expensive adding additional tags. If I tag out the first few days you can bet i'll then go get an additional tag cause i'm not leaving early.
dotman

Postby Swede » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Here in Oregon we have separate deer, elk, bear and cougar tags. The seasons overlap, but the tags are not interchangable. I normally only hunt one animal at a time. If I am elk hunting, I usually just keep on trucking if I see even a good specimen of a different species. That said, I will shoot a Mulie buck if he walks in front of me while I am in my stand. Any cougar is always fair game, but as many of you have read, I urinate on bears.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote: as many of you have read, I urinate on bears.
:lol:

Can't count the number of times I could have done this.....it's now on my bucket list!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby planebow » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 6]

If a large enough buck presents itself I know I would be tempted. Several years ago I shot a P&Y mulie then connected with a bull 2 days later. One of my best hunting trips.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby BowElkDwn » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Planebow, That's a heck of a three day stretch.
I usually just stick to elk hunting but if a nice enough buck presents itself I would definently try a stalk. Unless I hear a bugle before or even during the stalk. There has been a few times over the years that a buck goes down during hunting elk but not a lot.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby Buckriser » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Hmmmm..... I've never thought of peeing on a bear. Sounds entertainingly fun.
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby ElkManDan » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I like to have a deer tag in my pocket when I am on an Elk hunt. When I lived in Idaho I would always buy the sportsmans package, I think you're crazy not to. I shot a black bear on one Elk hunt and have taken a couple smaller bucks on easy evening hunts after getting worked by elk and needing an easier hunt. I am in Utah now so I put in for the General Archery deer tag in the area that I hunt elk on the OTC tag, it is pretty much a given that I will draw it if I put in for my first choice. There are not a ton of deer in the area I hunt but occasionally I hear rumors of the monster bucks that are spotted up there every year.
ElkManDan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Never... When I was a pup, my old man used to stage an elk camp every year in MT.. He'd tell all of us, kids, adults alike at the camp, that we're here to hunt elk and fill our freezers. He made it very clear that you could shoot a deer "some other time".. Everybody abided by it as he as a blackhorn (oh, it's my families horn rankings.... a blackhorn is a guy who has put more bull's noses in the dirt than anybody else we knew). One year, my older brother Cary shot a damn nice 5X muley during one of these camps and my dad pretty much told him he'd be getting it out himself and he meant it. My younger brother (14) and me (17), and Cary drug that stinky buck out off of the nastiest Noxon MT hillside you can imagine.. I guess to this day it sticks with me. I have taken a few deer during elk season, but only if they wouldn't leave me alone and weren't that far from a road :) Lost my pop three years ago but I still remember the lessons he taught. This guy was guiding in the "Bob" in MT in the early 60s and was the smartest guy I knew when it came to elk hunting as I was learning the ropes... RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby slim9300 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Only if it's worth losing a day of my precious elk hunt. Big Muley buck? Yep. A black bear? Not for me.

The one time I REALLY wanted a "bonus" deer tag was when I was hunting the Gila in 2009. I had a 35" 5x5 Muley with eyeguards standing within bow range looking at me for about 20 seconds. I would say he was a 220-230" gross buck. I think he knew I didn't have a tag. :)
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkManDan » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I guess if I only had a week or even weekends I wouldn't worry about any other species but as it is I typically have about 25 days For elk hunting every year so I don't mind spending half a day getting a deer out!
ElkManDan

Postby Swatson » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 13]

This year in Wa I bought the multi season deer tag. I won't be targeting deer in Sept while elk hunting but if I see a bruiser it'll be a game on! A couple of years ago my buddy and I were calling in a bull and noticed a nice black bear walking along about 100 yards below us in a creek. We completely ignored him even though he'd a probably been an easy stalk. Never did get the elk and kinda kicked ourselves in the butt for not going after him. Oh well!
Swatson

First Name: Matt

Postby erichunter14 » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I have always had a difficult time motivating myself to go after a different animal. But a month later it swings the other way. I just want to focus on the animal I am after.
erichunter14

Postby Buckriser » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I got luck and drew a black powder limited entry Elk tag for the Beaver unit here in UT. I also have a deer tag and will be able to take a muley if I see one. Even though I have the tag I have no intentions of taking a buck, since all my efforts will be to fill my elk tag; although if I come across a hog of a muley, I may just have to take advantage of it.
Buckriser

Postby Elksniper1 » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 16]

For me there isn't another species that can compare for excitement to the wapiti during September, I personally squirted
Around big mulie's to continue to pursue elk . I would view it as dishonoring the elk if I slummed and shot a mulie. If your on a date you always finish the date before you pursue another
Elksniper1

Postby Lefty » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I buy the Idaho Sportsmans package,.. However I would trade for a nice deer or bear. certianly a cougar of wolf

I had a cougar pee on me,.. everyone thought it was funny,.. I thought it stunk :P
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby mongopino915 » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Also carried an extra class B cow archery tag and a either sex mule deer tag. Will not hesitate to put anything legal down when the opportunity present. It's good be a resident of Colorado.
mongopino915

Postby Buckriser » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Lefty wrote:I buy the Idaho Sportsmans package,.. However I would trade for a nice deer or bear. certianly a cougar of wolf

I had a cougar pee on me,.. everyone thought it was funny,.. I thought it stunk :P

Sounds like an interesting story. I guess it depends on what kind of cougar it was. Lol
Buckriser

Postby RockyMountainHi » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I get the Idaho Sportsman license and will take a doe mulie near camp as my hunting partner has grandkids that must eat meat without ANY additives/hormones due to multiple medical problems. I don't shift focus from elk, but if convenient, I won't pass it up.
RockyMountainHi

First Name: Barton
Last Name: Hill

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Rocky MouantainHi, Welcome bud! I like your photo/avatar! Moose hunting is on my bucket list!! (grin) Way to go in helping out your friend there!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Elk always comes 1st, but I like to have a deer tag in my pocket just in case the once in a lifetime buck shows up. I am retired and have the entire archery season to get my bull and help my buddies get theres. With that much time, its nice to have a extra tag. Paid off last year because I shot my bull on the 30th of Aug and still had a deer tag so I could carry my bow the rest of the season. Ended up shooting a young buck on the 12th of Sept and my buddy got his bull a few days later. Tagged out and headed home with a week and a half left of the season. Kind of expensive considering I donate the deer meat after the cost of a non resident tag and paying a meat processer to a church wild game Bar-B-Q and to a couple that have physical dissabilities. Will try for the bear tag this year since I did not draw the deer tag. :( ImageImage
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Buglemaster » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 23]

I'm an opportunist. If I could legally posess a tag for every big game animal in a season I'd have one of each. Like Uncle Ted says, "whack em & stack em"
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby 2OArchery » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 24]

In reference to the original post..."Most places in Idaho--for example--you can have an elk, deer, bear, cougar, and wolf tag. That's probably not the case in a lot of western states with less OTC hunting opportunities. Further, I think Idaho has a new rule letting you put an elk or deer tag on a bear, cougar or wolf."

This is only for NON RESIDENTS. Not for us who live here in Idaho. I'm sure you guys knew this, but I don't want anyone getting confused and getting into trouble.
2OArchery