Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Game Bag Choices!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Game Bag Choices!

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Here's a question that comes up a lot amongst elk hunters of all experience levels. What game bags should we use? That's easy, use game bags that will keep those blow flies & yellowjackets out!! There are many that fit the bill, I like using ones that don't break the bank & can be used more than once! I have no interest of keeping bags for a lifetime but do like getting 3-4 elk out of a set & they must be light weight & easy to pack 4 of them! If they're heavy & bulky they seem to get left behind. All elk hunters should carry game bags so they are ready when the chore of breaking an elk down happens, heat & flies are our culprits! Too date I've used the Allen bags, they are tough & do the job well, we've used them for many years now! I look for bags that are tight knit & flies cannot get through, if you can see your hand when inside or the meat once the load is on the bag, you could have issues with the netting being too thin walled!

Here's a good solid built Allen bag! Notice the tight weaving! What's your choice?

ElkNut1
Attachments
Jerry 2010 Bull 14.jpg
Jerry 2010 Bull 14.jpg (180.01 KiB) Viewed 16059 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Game Bag Choices!

Postby elkmtngear » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Paul,
First bull I killed got seriously flyblown...took me hours to get the fly eggs out of the meat.

Driving home that Season, I tried to think of a light solution. I started thinking, I had seen some ladies with a rear end that would put a big bull's butt to shame. :shock:

So, I bought 4 pairs of ladies panty hose, size 4X. This packs into a lightweight ball that fits into a pouch in my daypack, and it works awesome.

For quarters on the bone, take one pair of panty hose, cut off one leg and tie it off. We use the large section for quarters, and the cut off legs for loin, neck meat, etc.

4 pairs does one big bull easily.

It's a relatively inexpensive, disposable solution I've been using for many years now. I doubt if it will catch on, but it works for me. :D
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I have the Allen game bags and some with the Remington name on them. They look the same as the Allen bags, so I suspect Remington contracted with Allen to make them. FYI to all cheap skates knowing we have to stick together. I have had good success with used pillow cases too. I got a big box full of them free from a Best Western motel. They were all laundered and folded, but could not be reused as they had a small stain or other defect. P.S. I got a bunch of top and bottom sheets there too. Same price, same condition.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I make my own that are made from 8 oz cotton/polyester blend. We can put a full 1/4 inside one if needed and have never torn one and no fly can get through. They are washable and I can get several years of use out of them. I used to buy the material from the yardage store, but started buying a 4' x 15' painters drop cloth from Lowes or Home Depot at a fraction of the price for the same material. Even better is the drop cloth requiers less sewing do to the finished edge. Now I seem to be making them every year for friendsImage
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Goneelkn » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Alaska game bags. Light, durable, and very small. You can hold a 1/4 up by the material only. They come prerolled. Alot easier to get a 1/4 in by yourself.
Goneelkn

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 6]

We all use T.A.G. Bags from Pristine Ventures. The bags are synthetic not cotton (for extended trips where the meat may hang for several days) and are very durable. The bags also breathe very well. Using the bags draw string we were able to hang 85 lbs. Of meat with no problem.

PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby Freebird134 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 7]

PHELPS GAME CALLS wrote:We all use T.A.G. Bags from Pristine Ventures. The bags are synthetic not cotton (for extended trips where the meat may hang for several days) and are very durable. The bags also breathe very well. Using the bags draw string we were able to hang 85 lbs. Of meat with no problem.

Do you take a picture with every product you use after killing an elk? Holding up your game bags for a trophy shot (albiet, a fantastic picture) seems like the last thing I'd do with a bull piled up in a tree :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Of course I do it took a couple hours just for pictures. You guys are lucky there isn't a post about what underwear people use while elk hunting. :o

On a serious note we wouldn't normally take pictures, but the camera was out and I just grabbed the bags since I was getting ready to start breaking the bull down. I figured I would take a picture with the bags just in case a post like this ever came up. :D
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby dotman » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I use alaskan but will be addiny panty hose this year, great idea!
dotman

Postby planebow » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I use alaskan bags also
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Swede » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I would not have thought of holding up a package of game bags for a picture with my downed bull either. A few years ago Elknut had a drawing and offered a prize if you won. To get in you had to be pictured with a Cuckler or Lil Chuckler and your downed elk. Well when I got my bull, I certainly remembered to have my grunt tube in hand and a big cheezy smile. I know I had the best looking human speciman (me), best looking bull, and the perfect grunt tube. What I could never figure out is how I missed on the drawing. LOL
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby westaner » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I use Allen bags , but would like to make my own this year.
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Are you adding panyty hose too! (grin) Just yarning you Jeff!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Hornhunter » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Anyone use caribou gear bags ?
Hornhunter

Postby Buglemaster » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I still have bags my folks made at least 25 years ago. And yes, they were used!! Mom sewed in a draw string & made both 1/2 elk & quarter bags. Pretty heavy cotton, but they did hold up pretty good considering.I kinda have to laugh about a bull we were bagging up a couple years ago. We had a newbie helping us out & he was holding up a hind while i slipped the bag up around it.I said I got it & to let it down. He dropped it & it blew right through the bag. That was one of those 25 year old bags... We also use the allen bags. They are great for the money. Dont even consider those cheese cloth bags.Well, I guess they would work for putting dirty clothes in...
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I like the Allen bags that Elknut has on his website. I take them out of the original plastic bag they come in and run them through the vacum sealer. Four of them compress down to about one inch thick. They make an excellent liner for the bottom of your pack. Also can be used as a pillow, a compress bandage for serious cuts or even a sling for broken bones. They are just a good multi use item besides being an excellent gamebag.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ColoradoDan » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Alaskan for me
ColoradoDan

Game Bag Choices!

Postby iRem » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I use the Allen bags! I will have to try and vac-n-seal this year, like that idea Big 'W'!
iRem

Postby Buglemaster » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 19]

iRem, you've never met WW before have you? He's just a little "pop corn fart" :lol: A heck of a guy tho! Sorry Bill...my bad.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby mattstanton » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I use alaska game bags but am concidering tags bags as well.
mattstanton

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 21]

That's OK Dave. I'll probably get even with you sooner or later. LOL! Got a good hunt for you if interested. Drop me an email.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Broken arrow » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Hornhunter I haven't but that's what I'm going to buy. I'm really liking the solo hunter II small, light, and strong. Just hope I get to give a review! Wait wrong attitude! :D I WILL give a review.
Broken arrow