Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

East Wenaha WA achery hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

East Wenaha WA achery hunting

Postby DaleVR » 06 20, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hi All, I was lucky enough to draw this tag this year. I have done alot of elk hunting in western WA but haven't been in this unit yet. I ordered up Paul's playbook and got conversing with him and he commented on this forum to help my research. I have lots of questions but does anyone have experience in there during Sept 1-19 archery season? Is there a lot of hunters in there hunting spikes for the general season? There are 2 of us with tags and we have horses and plan to get there and work hard, we can spend 2 weeks for this hunt and wonder if the start of the season or the end would be better? We have been pouring over maps and have some areas in mind but would love to hear any suggestions if you have any. we are really look foward to hunting this tag hard.
Thanks for reading, Dale
DaleVR

Re: East Wenaha WA achery hunting

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 2]

So, is there anyone here that may have some info here for Dale? Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Hi Dale,

I'm familiar with Oregon's Wenaha unit which is just South of your hunt location. First off, if the WA Wenaha unit is as hard to draw as Oregon's, congrats!

Is the WA Wenaha unit wilderness/road-less?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby DaleVR » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 4]

It is the wilderness
DaleVR

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Here's how I would hunt Oregon's Wenaha Unit. Definitely the last part of the season and since you have pack animals I would go in a fair distance. I wouldn't worry about the spike hunters because very few are willing to go through that much trouble for a Spike. Spending a lot of times glassing apposing hill sides is a great tactic in our Wenaha and Mt. Emily Wilderness area's. Anyone else have a different opinon?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swatson » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I don't have an opinion on this but do know that's a money tag! Congrats and I hope you kill a ripper! Looking forward to seeing pics in Sept!
Swatson

First Name: Matt

Postby bowhunterty » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Never hunted but have been in the area. Steep. Good access and can glass areas from the road a long the boundry. Believe Extreme Bulls 5 has a hunt from that area. Not many hunt the wilderness area for just spikes.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby TheBestRacksInTown » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Dale- contact Scott Rasley of the Fish and Game Dept. out of Walla2 office. He's the big game conservation officer for the SE areas and a very friendly and helpful individual. You might want to buy a cup of coffee from his wife's coffee shop first..:-)
When you head this way to scout, look me up and I'd love to help as much as possible if I'm available.
BTW, congrats on your draw.

Best regards!
Wes
TheBestRacksInTown

Postby DaleVR » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 9]

thanks for the info Wes!
DaleVR

Postby stickflngr » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Dale, congrats on your tag, that ones tough to get. I hunt the lick creek unit right at the boundary of Tucannon and the Wenaha units. I walked down NF rd 40 last year which is the northern boundary for the Wenaha and jumped 3 different bulls. You wont have much competition as its some fairly rugged terrain. I know some guys that hunt around Godman springs and thats also some brutal terrain but the nastier the better if you want the big ones. Im going scouting this week end and Ill make a trip down rd 40 and if I see anything promising Ill give you a shout. If you make it up to the north end of the Wenaha during season I camp at the Mt Misery campground, stop and let me know how its going. Good luck and have a happy 4th. Kenny
stickflngr

Postby stickflngr » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Ran into this guy about 3/4 of a mile from the northern boundary of the Wanaha in lick creek. Didnt have time to get to your side but talked to some hikers that did see some cows and a small bull over there. Good luck
Attachments
107_0642 (2) (800x598).jpg
107_0642 (2) (800x598).jpg (454.63 KiB) Viewed 7559 times
stickflngr