Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Weapon?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Weapon?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What do you hunt elk with the majority of the elk season each year? Rifle, smokepole, bow, or all three? Some states allow multiple weapon seasons, some you're pretty limited to only one. Just curious. What do you cats hunt with.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Weapon?

Postby Da White Shoe » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Bow only here.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby buglmin » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Depends on what I get drawn for. I'm always in the woods in September, carrying a bow after something. I love hunting deer and bear with a bow. Loving killing bear with my recurve. Plus with hunters, friends, Im always chasing elk. I'm applying for the first gun season again in Colorado, have a grea friend that draws almost every year, and I love hunting with him. Plus, high country elk hunting in October is a great time to be in the woods. Now, if I draw in NM, its a bow tag or black powder, and if I dont draw, its a landowner tag and thats in December with a rifle. Hunting those big bulls that migrate down from the Banded Peaks area and off the Jicarilla Apache reservation, you get to see some big bulls. Plus, its fun hunting elk in 6" of snow...enjoy tracking down elk.
buglmin

Postby Trophyhill » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Da White Shoe wrote:Bow only here.

Me too
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby bowpackerrob » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Primarily bow in Colorado near my cabin as it is over the counter, second choice is smokepole preferably in early October in New Mexico. Just killed my first bull with a rifle this year in late October and I must say since they weren't bugling I will ALWAYS be hunting close or during the rut for the rest of my life for the rest of my elk seasons.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby cnelk » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

In the past Its been bow in Sept, Rifle cow in Oct or Nov.

This year its recurve and compound in September
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Bow here too as long as I can remember for elk. I'm not opposed to rifle hunting them & actually would look forward to it now & then.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Buglemaster » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I hav'nt hunted elk with a rifle for the last 25+ years.Bow only.My percentages would have been alot higher with a rifle, but just killing an elk is not the most important part of the hunt for me.Sept is the absolute best month to be in the high country .The challenge, fall colors,that bull screaming his head off in the late evening,crisp clear frosty mornings....crap ......cant wait till sept!I do set back with envy each oct & nov as the guys pack up & head to the hills, but all I could hunt would be cows & they just dont "move" me any more.Heck, I would chase em with a sling shot if that was all there was...
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby ironhead22 » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 9]

There isn't an animal walking that I wouldn't hunt with a bow. To me its the challenge of bowhunting and possible failure far outweighs the advantage of a gun. Its the arch of the arrow, the primitive nature of the weapon that draws me into it.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby mongopino915 » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Rifle only for 20 plus years but once I picked a bow hunting four years ago, it has been all archery. My only regret is not starting bow hunting sooner.
mongopino915

Postby Lefty » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Archery elk only and love it
4 5 Friday and Saturdays Great camping, all is quiet
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Archery only for me for many years.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby easeup » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Septemenber is for bowhunting.

If I can go back later with a rifle I will go for that too.
A man for all seasons.
easeup

Postby BowKill » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Bow, I've shot my fair share of elk with a rifle but none of them have been as memorable as my bow kills.
BowKill

First Name: Wes

Postby dotman » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Bow only but I did just pick up a Smoke pole, not sure yet what I'll use it for but it is the only smoke pole I have.
dotman

Postby LckyTylr » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I'm not picky. I would prefer to do only archery, but I can't seem to kill an elk with a bow to save my life. So I end up tromping around during Rifle Season looking for a "spike only" with my rifle. I could have killed a spike each of the last 3 years, but during rifle season I take my father in law along with me and he's never killed an elk either, so I keep trying to get him an elk. He has made excuses for all 3 years of why he wouldn't shoot. I know I could have killed all 3 of those spikes, but I was trying to get him to notch a tag.

I always end up killing a deer, they seem to flock to me for some reason (bow or rifle) . . . elk are a different story.

This year . . . I WILL kill a bull with my bow.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Lckytylr: The first one is always the hardest to get. Have Patience. Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I have never rifle hunted elk, but I would not be against the opportunity if it ever came up.

That being said, there is nothing I love more, than hunting elk with a bow 8-)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby planebow » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Hunt with the bow during the archery season for elk. When the rifle season starts I may pick up a rifle but just is not the same feeling as being out there with my bow
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Moose-head » 02 22, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I would live to hunt with a bow, but I tore my rotator cuff and am not able to practice with it as much as I think I need to in order to be prepared to hunt. I am trying to work up to where I can hunt, but it seems to be ten steps forward, then one giant step back to square one. I will prolly be rifle this year
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby G Posik » 02 22, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Longbow only. One day I might try something else.......maybe my recurve. But then I would have to bring a stringer along.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby Teton Jon » 02 22, 2013 •  [Post 22]

This is my first season and I really want to take one with the bow. I'm fortunate in that I live 30 minutes from the parking spot so with scouting and the convienence of being that close I hope that I can log enough time to tilt the odds in my favor.
Teton Jon

First Name: Jonathan
Last Name: Howard

Postby MTLongdraw » 02 22, 2013 •  [Post 23]

I do both bow and rifle. In a perfect world I would get an elk with my bow then deer hunt with my rifle.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 24]

all my pref points go to archery. if i can ill buy a left over cow tag. my son has it better, if we draw this yr for archery and he blanks on the hunt he can transfer that tag for a late rifle cow tag. theres a reason i have pet loads for my 300wsm :D
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy