Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Spikes Never Wallow!!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Spikes Never Wallow!!!!

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Yep, I've heard only big bulls wallow, but I think once in a while Spikes just can't help themselves!!! (grin) Pretty cool huh?
Use slide bar on right side of photo to view!

ElkNut1
Attachments
Wallowing Cow!.JPG
Wallowing Cow!.JPG (175.91 KiB) Viewed 9103 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Spikes Never Wallow!!!!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 2]

He looks like a chocolate easter candy... lol. Must have been a hot day on the mountain for that youngster.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Freebird134 » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

On my screen the image is cut off, and you have to scroll to see the bottom. At first I was like "WTF? I don't see anything." Then I scrolled down :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby elkohalic » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Freebird134 wrote:On my screen the image is cut off, and you have to scroll to see the bottom. At first I was like "WTF? I don't see anything." Then I scrolled down :)

I did the same thing. LOL
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby N5J » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 5]

My spike elk wallow story! We watched a spike sneak into a wallow where we were sitting and he play in the water for about 5 minutes at 40 yards. He reminded us of a small kid doing something they weren't suspose to be doing. He would take his front hooves splash in the water then stop to listen and look around to see if someone or something was coming. When the coast was clear he rolled in the mud with all 4 hooves in the air then quickly stood up listened and looked around again. He did this a couple of times till (we figured he lost his nerve) he started to leave real quiet. I drew my bow and released the arrow...as the arrow started his way it deflected off a tree branch...unseen in the dark timber...hit a log between his legs with a loud swack. He jumped straight up in the air ran about 70 yards then stopped. He stood there for the longest time looking back to see what scared him. He finally worked his way around till he winded us and left. We stayed till dark hoping something else would come in to the wallow but nothing. What a show...we ate tag soup that year...discussed that I didn't get him but looking back we recieved memories of a life time!

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I have put up cameras each year for several years now, and have at least 2000 hours sitting water holes and wallows. I have never seen a spike wallow and have no pictures with one wallowing either.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Buglemaster » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Last fall, my Son & i were entertained for close to 5 minutes by a spike in the mud . He did everything the big boys do except bugle.I dont have any idea why we did'nt dig out the camera, but we did'nt. We did a couple cow calls & he charged out of the water & came right at us, slammed on the breaks at 5yds & got that wide eyed look of pure terror & hi-tailed it out of there.He put on a great show & made an uneventful night quite memmorable.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Guys, I really appreciate the input & stories! Very cool stuff!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkohalic » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I'm thinking that those cut trees mean that it wouldn't be to bad of a pack out either
elkohalic

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Any spike is an easy packout! (grin) It is unusual to see them wallow though, but cool when it happens! I enjoyed buglemasters & NJ5's experiences, that's good stuff! Here I am packing out a hindquarter of one 1-1/2 mile back from rig a couple years back, they eat darned good! (grin)

Whoops, no camo that day! (grin)

ElkNut1
Attachments
Paul's 2010 Spike 10.jpg
Paul's 2010 Spike 10.jpg (161.25 KiB) Viewed 9024 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby BowElkDwn » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Elknut, your wearing camo pants...

Elkoholic, I have thought the same thing many times when I'm way back off roads and find cut trees. I figured out there are no roads. It was just a small fire that smokejumpers had been dropped off at and cut the tree's. There was no sign of a fire there, but that is the only explanation. Not that the picture is the same way, but just an observation.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby elkohalic » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Beautiful country there Elknut!! Man that pic makes me want to go hiking.
elkohalic

Postby westaner » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 13]

from a primos truth 35 game cam

westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Westaner, that was a very good video! I really enjoyed it! What time of day was most of the activity? Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby westaner » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Thats the million doller question! I was never able to figure out how to set date or time. I realy dont like the camera,it makes a loud clunk when triggered and instructions for time/date are not good . looking into the bushnell trophy cam, it has audio too!
westaner

Postby westaner » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 16]

if you can judge by the sun light the camera is looking south west. most activity is 1pm to dusk . im trying to talk my neighbor lady ,a forest service bioligist to doing a elk wallow study. I would provide the wallows. Most of her game cameras are for griz, and their battrys are running low from all the activity!
westaner