Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Talk Year Around!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Talk Year Around!

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Yes, it's very common for elk to be talking up a storm especially in the larger groups! Elk do not stop being elk outside of Sept/Oct. Elk talk year around just like you & I. It's both for communication & direction of movement, too other nursery groups can blend together & when this happens they can be extremely loud & playful . During breeding times they just become more aggressive as hormones & testosterone levels slowly escalate in both genders, outside of that they are still elk!

You will find that elk will talk up a storm, yet they know one anothers voice or sound. You can easily test this by observing these groups any time of year, slip down towards them where you can get inside 125yds & watch & listen to them. You will hear countless mews & chirps yet none of them pay strict attention to the individual chatter. Now you give one or two cow sounds & no more & watch their reaction, you would think they would not pay you any notice as they themselves are being so vocal but the opposite is true, you will be surprised how many heads turn your way & stare in your direction even though you are hidden! Why? Because they know each sound by one another & now recognize your sound as an outsider. Just an interest thought!

Who here has experienced this inside or outside of hunting seasons?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Elk Talk Year Around!

Postby iRem » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I would agree 100% about Elk talk (why would I disagree with Paul)! All sounds are different, when you are separated from your family and you hear your children from a distance you recognize who they are. When you get into or on the outside of a group of elk and let out a few chirps or muews they will turn their heads to see who this outsider is. But I know with experience if you keep them subtle and keep your movement to a minimum and the wind in your face you can stick with them most of the day.
iRem

Re: Elk Talk Year Around!

Postby N5J » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Agree...we were coyote hunting this past winter and came upon a herd of 300+ elk. We laid in the rocks just watching and listened to all the sounds for about 20 minutes before they moved on. Lots of cow talk with spattering of bugles every now and then. Reminded me of listening to Paul's DVD's without any narration! :D

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N