Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wood splitting in the backcountry

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wood splitting in the backcountry

Postby Chad44 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Anyone have a good trick or tool that makes it EASIER? Been using a bow saw and axe. I've seen an axe on YouTube called the chopper axe. Seems to work well. Just wondering what guys are using to pile up fuel for the stove.
Chad44

First Name: Chad
Last Name: Davies

Re: Wood splitting in the backcountry

Postby Chad44 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Just realized this should prob be in the equipment forum. ;) oops.
Chad44

First Name: Chad
Last Name: Davies

Postby Swede » 02 11, 2013 •  [Post 3]

For easy wood splitting there are several things to look for. Find the right species. Some are easy to split, while some can be ornery to near impossible. Ususlly Larch, also called Tamerack, well dried Douglas-fir and dried out pine are good. Avoid parts of the tree that have large knots and the area near the stump where the wood can be twisted. Use only dry wood for burning, and avoid white wood trees like true firs and Spruce. They have little heat in them. Different areas have different species, and some hard woods are great. I like wood that does not need to be split, and I would certainly not carry many tools into the backcountry.
BTW, you are right this talk should be discussed in the Doc's office. Maybe Paul or John can move it for you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 02 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

i'm going trout fishing in the backwoods just as soon as the snow melts. without hunting gear, i expect to be giddy with excitement on how light a pack could be!! no binos, bow, arrows..i expect my pack to be fairly light. having said that, i am rethinking my wood work for camp. i am taking a small case pocketknife for trout cleaning and i am packing a small camp axe for breaking down wood. we hope to stay 8 days in the woods. some real fires would be nice!

who knows? seemed like a kick butt reason to buy an axe. i got the WildLife Axe from Wetterlings. UPS says it should get here on Friday. i cannot wait. my love of the axe, and all things axe lore is fresh..this could get crazy!!

i just sharpened my Gransfor Bruks, Small Scandinavian forest axe and this is where i got it. it is brutally sharp!!
Attachments
gbshrp.jpg
gbshrp.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 02 11, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i've been told, short axes are the most dangerous. the sharp part is that much closer to your shins, feet..and other soft bits with arteries and veins..yikes.
pointysticks

Postby Swede » 02 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Hatchets and short axes are more dangerous. A sharp axe is best for chopping, but nothing special for splitting. Pointysticks, it looks like you have a great camp axe and hammer for pounding in tent stakes.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 02 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

i really really want to remove the rib cage of an animal with an axe. i watched a rancher do it when i was much younger. it looked kinda cool gently tapping off the ribs from the spine. wish i paid closer attention.

i still need to get some critter with great tasty ribs to stand still enough for my arrow. ;). i'll worry about rib recipes later. ahhaha

thanks swede.
pointysticks

Postby Lefty » 02 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Go in an use what you can during the off season.
Were going in with snowmobles to cut and split for our deer spike camp with chainsaws and splitting maul
Cant ATV during the season, often fire restricted during the summer
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Vanish » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 9]

pointysticks wrote:i've been told, short axes are the most dangerous. the sharp part is that much closer to your shins, feet..and other soft bits with arteries and veins..yikes.

My shin would agree!

Green tree, whack, bounce, boink ... owwwwwwww .... stitches ... scar
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel