Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Can you name this sound?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Can you name this sound?

Postby POk3s » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Already have this video posted once under "Today's Close Encounter", but I think it would be beneficial to some, especially if you're relatively new to the "elk game" OR if you want to see/hear an elk doing this in real life, which I think can be beneficial to all of us. If you 100% know the answer, please wait until a few others give it a try before telling them if they're right or wrong :) .

Skip to 1:39 if you just want to hear the vocalizations.

Tip: If you have no clue, this sound is featured in the "ElkNut Challenge"
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Can you name this sound?

Postby iRem » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Well it's been long enough so I'll just have to put it out there that it was a Warning Bark, now others can post and respond!!
iRem

Can you name this sound?

Postby slim9300 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Bark!! Game over. ;)
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Can you name this sound?

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I believe it's a combination of both barks & nervous grunts! It started as a bark but then she held position once she felt safe & was extremely curious? Trent, did you cow call at anytime?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I thought it was a nervous bark only because she stuck around looking for me, and she didn't bark before she ran off, only after she had ran up the hill and looked back at me through the trees.

No I never called. Just sat there and videoed and then stood up to "film" more. Stood there for probably 7 or 8 minutes and finally just left as she was still carrying on.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 19, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Trent, thanks! I wasn't sure if maybe you called & she stayed out at a distance & then wanted an identification. I've seen them act similar to the cow in the video, they definitely are not being hospitable with that sound! (grin) Good stuff!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul