Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

wolf pistol

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

wolf pistol

Postby The Doc » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 1]

watched on discovery channel last night a pack of wolves chase down a mature , healthy 6 point. pissed me off. now im buying "the ultimate " wolf pistol im thinking a thomson encore 22/250 for long range wolf shooting. with scope. accurate yet i still can carry it comfortably bowhunting.

whats your thoughts?
The Doc
ElkNut Pro Staff

Re: wolf pistol

Postby Freebird134 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I seem to be odd man out in these discussions. I like wolves and I don't care to mess with carrying a pistol. Don't get me wrong--I'd love to arrow a wolf, and I've carried a sidearm before (when I was younger and excited to be able to buy pistols!). But now days I don't worry about predator attacks and would rather save weight every spot I can. And I've love to see a pack of wolves take down an elk with my own eyes. God made wolves for a reason--it's natural. Doesn't piss me off at all.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby The Doc » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 3]

i can respect your opinion. i live here in wolf central. have seen first hand the wolf impact on the elk herds, thats what ruffled my feathers. not afraid of them at all. they have made a huge impact on the elk. i dont need to hear any report, any field survey, or opionion of anyone without firsthand longterm observations of the elk heard. i have lived here since before the wolf introduction. it is sad what they have done. i dont think every one should be killed. but they need to be managed.

now do you want to get me started on what the wolves have done to the moose population in central idaho? absolutly desimated them.
The Doc
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby Buglemaster » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Agree completly Doc! That set up should be terrific. I know without a doubt, if they move into Colo there will be alot of guys do the same thing.Pretty shure they are here now, but just not enough of them to really be concerned with, but the thought of them getting started scares the crap outa me.Just visit with some of the livestock producers & outfitters who are or have been put out of business due to this brilliant idea. :evil: Personally, I've never been able to understand why the good Lord put rattlesnakes on the face of the earth either????
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

wolf pistol

Postby slim9300 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 5]

The Doc wrote:watched on discovery channel last night a pack of wolves chase down a mature , healthy 6 point. pissed me off. now im buying "the ultimate " wolf pistol im thinking a thomson encore 22/250 for long range wolf shooting. with scope. accurate yet i still can carry it comfortably bowhunting.

whats your thoughts?

Sounds like a great idea. Good luck and make sure you buy 4 tags, I mean 2. ;)
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

wolf pistol

Postby slim9300 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Freebird134 wrote:I seem to be odd man out in these discussions. I like wolves and I don't care to mess with carrying a pistol. Don't get me wrong--I'd love to arrow a wolf, and I've carried a sidearm before (when I was younger and excited to be able to buy pistols!). But now days I don't worry about predator attacks and would rather save weight every spot I can. And I've love to see a pack of wolves take down an elk with my own eyes. God made wolves for a reason--it's natural. Doesn't piss me off at all.

I would rather see a plane with two professional hunters mow down the entire pack just before they reach their prey. I don't blame the wolf, don't get me wrong.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 7]

The word "Wolf" can certainly stir lot's of different emotions, I know it's a sensitive subject & most have their thoughts on the Pro's & Con"s of the issue! Let's make sure we don't let our emotions get the best of us on the Forum.

Keep it civil! Every animal has to be kept in check, Deer, Elk ,Bear. Moose, Wolves, etc. There are now seasons for all, hopefully many take advantage of them in a legal manner, going outside those set laws will just spell heartache sooner or later no matter the species! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby BowElkDwn » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Doc, I like your idea. Do you know how much one of those weighs. Can you pack it on your side or is it a little big for that. I bet you could get pretty accurate with one of those.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby LckyTylr » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Anybody know the laws in Idaho very well? I know that it's perfectly legal to carry a sidearm for protection, but I would tend to think that a sidearm is limited to any kind of pistol. I like the idea of carrying a firearm during bow season that can reach out and touch a wolf, but I don't have a pistol or the funds to acquire such a long range pistol. I'd like to carry my .220 Swift or my .222 Rem, as I have called in wolves during each of the last 3 bow seasons, but not within archery range. I know that in many states, it's not legal to carry any kind of firearm during archery season, but for most states that have a healthy bear/mt lion/wolf population, it's allowed.

So, in Idaho, is it legal to hunt with a bow, but carry a rifle to kill a wolf should the opportunity present itself?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Ridgernr » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 10]

AS long as the wolf season is any weapon season, you can carry a rifle while bow hunting elk. If a wolf shows up it would turn into a wolf hunt for me.
Personally I would not pack a rifle around while archery hunting for elk, just seems like a pain to pack around.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby The Doc » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 11]

BowElkDwn wrote:Doc, I like your idea. Do you know how much one of those weighs. Can you pack it on your side or is it a little big for that. I bet you could get pretty accurate with one of those.

ill let you know in about a week, when it gets here
The Doc
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Doc, can't wait to see that big ole hog leg!!!(grin) Your not packing that on your side are you?

Hey your Optics showed up, let me know when you want to pick them up?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby BowElkDwn » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Nice, I didn't know you had already ordered one. I'll have to check it out one of these days.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff