Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Laughing Elk :)..

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Laughing Elk :)..

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Every been laughed at by elk? I have, many times over the course of my couple of years hunting them. They do it when you do the wrong thing in the heat of battle. It happens when you haven't practiced with your bow until you can knock a gnat off a goat's arse at XX yards. They do it when you make the wrong sound at the wrong time. They do it when you fail to constantly check the prevailing thermals/wind and they get a whiff of your human stink.

It's kind of like the tips thread but with a twist. Throw out a scenario when you did the wrong thing and the elk said "really...really"? Did that hunter just do that? We learn from our mistakes and they make us better hunters. Nothing like situational experience to make us more lethal wapiti hunters. What was something you did in the elkwoods that you learned from, and, resulted in elk moving away snickering to themselves.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Laughing Elk :)..

Postby Swede » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Boy, this is a goofy thread. Are you kidding me? The elk I hunt wait all year for me to show up in their neck of the woods. We are buddies. The only time I shoot one is when they mess up. They invented the sport and know I am improving the average IQ of the gene pool. They must really appreciate that don't you think? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

That's an easy one.

3 of us out bow hunting. After locating and closing in on a bull we proceed to blow it. lol So we regroup and sit down on a clearing to spread the topo map out on the ground and come up with a plan B. After a bit the rookie with us says, "hey there he is!" and we look over to see the bull from the neck up peeking out of the alders..... WATCHING US F0RM 0UR GAMEPLAN! I could hear him laughing all the way to the next county.

0ur lesson: Give your setups plenty of time... and then a little more. For those of you who hunt turkeys, think silent tom.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby elkmtngear » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

By the end of 10 days, it's not about harvesting food, it's about revenge! A guy can only take so much, when he is being ridiculed by elk day after day.

By the end of the hunt I am a homicidal maniac, and I have what borders on pure hatred for elk! :x
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Ok, I will admit they had a good chuckle the time when I got out of my stand, left my bow in the tree, and walked off into the woods to relieve myself. Seeing me bent over, with my drawers down around my ankles must have been quite a sight. It was also rather embarrassing. Jeff sometimes I hate those elk too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics