Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Is this over kill for spike camp?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Is this over kill for spike camp?

Postby mandrroofing » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Here is what im looking at for my spike camp this sep. Does this seem like over kill to you guys.I respect your options and suggestions...Thanks!

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... 4Aod-GwAww

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-guide-20 ... gear/16397

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-fa ... ard#review
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: Is this over kill for spike camp?

Postby foxvalley » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I think that stuff looks great.I always tried to by the best that I could afford.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby mandrroofing » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Will all my gear will fit into a EBERLESTOCK x2 including these Spike camp stuff?
mandrroofing

Postby Bartfrncs » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

What season do you plan to hunt if its a early bow season then sure it will fit but food is more important than a tent.
Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby mandrroofing » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Last week of September is when ill be hunting.I really Like the eberlestock x2 but its not cheap and if I buy one I wanna make sure I can pack in everything.after searching the web I think the pack will hold everything,even if I have to strap some things to the outside of the pack.
mandrroofing

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Yes, lashing items as sleeping bag/pad, tent are normal things on outside of pack! You should be able to do 3 nights & 4 days in the X2.
There's a very nice X2 in the classifieds right now for a great price! Oops, I see it's sold!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby cnelk » 01 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I used to spike camp. I may again someday.
But one thing to remember about doing the spike camp thing...

You better be real sure there are elk in the area of the spike camp.
If not, you wasted a lot of time...

Just something to think about.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Harmy » 01 21, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I have used the Black Diamond (Bibler) tents for near 20 years with great success and they stand by their products if you ever do have an issue. I have never used the model you are indicating here. I have used the Ahwanee which looks to be a near twin in design but made from different materials. I really don't know much about the materials in this tent specifically but I would guess they are good buys. I have also used Therma-Rest products for 20+ years and have 6 different pads including their super light weight up through their most comfy car camp models (most are over 15 years old)-I highly recommend these products. I have had 2 TNF sleeping bags and 3 Marmot. I prefer Marmot. The TNF did not last more than 8 years. My Helium is what I use for Elk hunting and I have had it for 6 years (if it is much colder I have a -20 bag from Marmot which I have had since 1990 and it is still in excellant shape). I don't have much comment about the X2 as I have never used those packs. All my packs are older Black Diamond ones I used for climbing. A 3000 cu-in pack would easily give me a 3 day camp and the ability to pack meat out as long as I had lash points to put all my stuff on the outside. All my packs capable of hauling are now worn out and so I just purchased a Kuiu 3000 for a Christmas present. Only used it once last weekend but did not get the chance to really fill it up and test it out. Not sure yet if I like that pack but I have to give it a few more test days. Good luck putting your camp gear together.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby G Posik » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I use the same sleeping pad. It is very comfortable for me. The tent looks to be a good one. There are some out there a bit lighter but for a 4 season that is good. The sleeping bag I have is a Western Mountaineering 20 degree. It is a top notch bag and not real sure of the NF bag. I can put all of my stuff for a 10 day hunt in my Stone Glacier 3300 with 2 of the Kifaru 650 long pockets. I hunt last 10 days of bow season in Colorado. You just have to really go through and figure out what you really need and not luxury items.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby Lefty » 01 27, 2013 •  [Post 10]

For a spike camp: a great start
When I get the chance to hike in a ways and set up a spike camp a couple things I will do differently,.. If I had the oppurtunity before season I would take the time to make a soft bed under the tent, pre-cut emergency firewood, supplied water and some sort of bathing setup, maybe make a table and seating I would haul in an oversized bag, a 3-4 man tent, for added room and comfort and a large poly sil fly.

My rifle deer set up is a spike camp,.. Having a nicer campsite make sthe hunt a bit more easy and enjoyable
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby indianw » 02 03, 2013 •  [Post 11]

This is my spike camp
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... 080264.jpg
and this is my spike camp opening morning
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... 080304.jpg
I use a mormot 15 deg. bag
indianw