Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I Need This!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I Need This!!

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 23, 2024 •  [Post 1]

Summer is coming up on us once again. I was out working in the yard and garden today and it got me to thinking….

What is the ONE thing you NEED to do/get/work on this summer to be eating elk meat this fall?

For me, I think the number one thing I need to do is start taking more care of my body. Once again at the end of hunting season I told myself I would work hard all winter and once again I failed. Getting on a good exercise plan I think is the number one thing I need to focus on to put elk steaks on the table!!

So, what’s yours?
Elkhunttoo

Re: I Need This!!

Postby wawhitey » 04 23, 2024 •  [Post 2]

I need to be on dry land during elk season. Not a lot of elk out in the gulf or the bering. Dont think its happening this year. In fact, im going to be at sea through all of august, the best bear time, which is very much not like me. But things are crazy at work right now, and im volunteering, being a company man. I can eat one hunting season. It wont kill me. Been pretty spoiled taking all of my hunting time off for years (seniority has its perks) so i can suck it up this once. Worst case scenario, might have a month or two period without bear meat, maybe. Still flush, and heading to idaho soon. And i put in for an antlerless elk permit on my home turf, good for the latter half of december. And the last couple years theres been a strong elk presence in my neighborhood. So decent chance i can at least take a cow elk close to home.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 04 24, 2024 •  [Post 3]

just like 'too, I need to work on my body. Cardio in particular. my Achilles injury really set me back.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 24, 2024 •  [Post 4]

This may seem funny in a way: The only time of year I have no exercise program to carry out is while I am out scouting or hunting. I have not started shooting my bow yet, so that is something to work on. In the meantime, I have been drawing my bow as an exercise since last hunting season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 24, 2024 •  [Post 5]

My health has been improving by leaps and bounds. My physical abilities have improved tremendously Which I'm expecting to continue. My goal is to be able to do 2000 feet and 7-10 miles without a day or two or three to catch back up

I need a few projects done. My wife has a honey-do list,, Mostly in preparation If I have a quick demise :P . the house and property will be ready to sell,,or build on a new property,

And ready for me to vacate this place during hunting seasons :lol: with very minimal upkeep.

I need to take the advise of some hunting friends,, buy a new bow. I need to shoot more,, I would like to feel good about 50-yard shots.

My Doc said I need to get rid of some weight, Ive been the fattest guy on the mountains for years :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 2MANY » 04 29, 2024 •  [Post 6]

wawhitey wrote:I need to be on dry land during elk season. Not a lot of elk out in the gulf or the bering. Dont think its happening this year. In fact, im going to be at sea through all of august, the best bear time, which is very much not like me. But things are crazy at work right now, and im volunteering, being a company man. I can eat one hunting season. It wont kill me. Been pretty spoiled taking all of my hunting time off for years (seniority has its perks) so i can suck it up this once. Worst case scenario, might have a month or two period without bear meat, maybe. Still flush, and heading to idaho soon. And i put in for an antlerless elk permit on my home turf, good for the latter half of december. And the last couple years theres been a strong elk presence in my neighborhood. So decent chance i can at least take a cow elk close to home.

This made me sad.
2MANY