Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Elk in transition

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Elk in transition

Postby Flatlander87 » 04 17, 2024 •  [Post 1]

Hi all, I am a long time silent reader of this forum. Thanks to all who are willing to share advice with those of us less experienced. I have been bow hunting elk the last couple years and have had decent results with using tactics elk nut describes on bedded elk (i.e. a slow play). I have also had luck bringing in satellites with a breeding sequence when a hot cow was present. The primary pitfall has been picking setups that make it too easy for elk to hang up.

My question is how would you suggest I approach calling to elk in transition from feeding to bedding when no hot cow is present during the rut? Is this primarily an ambush type situation? What would be the type of sequence/ sounds to focus on? Thanks in advance!
Flatlander87

Re: Hunting Elk in transition

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 17, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to WapitiTalk mister, glad to have you on board... And, a great first post sir.. worthy of some discussion for sure! I'll give you my take. Elk in transition are just that, they're moving either from feed to bed or bed to feed. You won't have much luck pulling a bull from this ritual movement event, regardless of the emotions/sounds you may portray in your calling, that's for sure. So, whaddya do when in fact the small group/herd is on the move to either their evening feeding area, or, to their post dawn bedding area? Dog them! Keep the wind in your favor and move with them, at a reasonable distance until they arrive at their destination.... At that point, it's time to see if you can invite a bull home for dinner. A couple (a couple) of low, whiny cow sounds will most likely pull in a horny satellite to your location.... I've got that T shirt several times over. If you want to excite the herd bull, throw some really excited cow sounds over your shoulder or into the ground followed by a loud scream, pointed right at the herd "I've got your cow mister, you suck on many levels"... have an arrow nocked as this action may reap an immediate, close quarter response.. The key to both of these tactics when in close quarters to a bedded group is realism and emotions of your calling sequence... Elk are driven by emotions but are not dumb when it comes to unrealistic sounds...Go get em! Again, thanks for swinging by our humble hunting forum..
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2024 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to the forum Flatlander. It is always good to see newer hunters come into the campfire.
How far are you going to follow the herd? A couple hundred yards or two or three miles? I have found it is easy to get busted when you follow elk for any distance. The wind swirls and the elk can stop and watch their back trail. I killed a spike one time when I called in a herd of cows with a couple of small bulls from their bedding spot, but I have been caught a lot more times. Your calling setup is always critical. If they can see where you called from while staying out of your shooting range, you won't get one. Best wishes.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 04 18, 2024 •  [Post 4]

I, too, have had them give a parting bugle and not even break stride on their journey many times. One thing you can do is hope they are going downhill as I struggle keeping up with elk going uphill! I echo RJ's comments about dogging them to where they are going and then setup. I have heard it called the doorway or window principle. Either way, keep the cover tight enough you can shoot them when they can see your position. In the right situation, I have been successful moving a little to make sure that is the case. In these situations, elk do not mind hearing noise, BUT....BUT, they will know exactly where that noise came from.
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 18, 2024 •  [Post 5]

OK, you said no hot cows. So, I presume you are talking early season prior to the rut. I would suggest you get a copy of Jim Horn's CD. I think it is called Early Season Elk Hunting or something like that. I have always called it silent calling because the elk will sneak in without making a sound. You really need to be on your toes but this technique is deadly! The CD will be hard to find. But, it is golden if you are lucky enough to locate one.

By the way, does anyone on here know how to locate Jim Horn?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 18, 2024 •  [Post 6]

Cripes, every time you mention that VID, I search for it with no luck. SOMEBODY had to have that i their collection?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 18, 2024 •  [Post 7]

Welcome to the forum…I can’t believe Swede left it open so I’m taking it.

I have spent several years dogging them and calling them. In the terrain I’m hunting in keeping up with elk isn’t really a possibility.

So, imo the best way to approach it is a tree stand ;)…yes, Swede has won me over… if you know of a spring/wallow that is close to a bedding area. A place elk would fill comfortable in the middle of the day.

Might not be the calling answer you are looking for but this can be super effective
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 04 19, 2024 •  [Post 8]

Oh geez, did you just feed the Swede? His head will get so big he will want all of us to address him as Sir. :lol:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 19, 2024 •  [Post 9]

Tigger: Swede is always right. The intelligent figure it out first. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 19, 2024 •  [Post 10]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Welcome to WapitiTalk mister, glad to have you on board... And, a great first post sir.. worthy of some discussion for sure! I'll give you my take. Elk in transition are just that, they're moving either from feed to bed or bed to feed. You won't have much luck pulling a bull from this ritual movement event, regardless of the emotions/sounds you may portray in your calling, that's for sure. So, whaddya do when in fact the small group/herd is on the move to either their evening feeding area, or, to their post dawn bedding area? Dog them! Keep the wind in your favor and move with them, at a reasonable distance until they arrive at their destination.... At that point, it's time to see if you can invite a bull home for dinner. A couple (a couple) of low, whiny cow sounds will most likely pull in a horny satellite to your location.... I've got that T shirt several times over. If you want to excite the herd bull, throw some really excited cow sounds over your shoulder or into the ground followed by a loud scream, pointed right at the herd "I've got your cow mister, you suck on many levels"... have an arrow nocked as this action may reap an immediate, close quarter response.. The key to both of these tactics when in close quarters to a bedded group is realism and emotions of your calling sequence... Elk are driven by emotions but are not dumb when it comes to unrealistic sounds...Go get em! Again, thanks for swinging by our humble hunting forum..

Sends shivers down my spine just reading that :D :D :D

Just to add: year to year there are some locations you should just expect elk to travel during the rut. Or expect bulls to bachelor the pre- rut or bull to go hide after the rut

Generally, the bulls go to where the cows are. but not always.

But there are bulls and locations where bulls are not the travelers, They wait for the cows to travel past them.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Flatlander87 » 04 22, 2024 •  [Post 11]

Thanks to everyone who replied! That definitely gives me something to go with.
Flatlander87