Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Best time for elk hunting this fall???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Best time for elk hunting this fall???

Postby searle7 » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've been following this forum for a while now... Lots of great people and great advice!
It's time to start planning for this years Elk hunt in Idaho. Trying to decide between the second and third week of September. I know that the third week would probably be the best for the rut but the moon is bright during the whole week. So I'm thinking of going the second week instead. This is only my third year archery and i'm learning a ton!
Questions...
Do you guys think that the third week won't be that good because of the full moon then?

How is the second week in September? Would we hear much bugling? I kinda like this idea because I don't think we would run into as many hunters in the second versus the third week.

Thanks for all your input!
searle7

First Name: Austin
Last Name: Searle

Re: Best time for elk hunting this fall???

Postby MTLongdraw » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Only been bow hunting for two years so take my advice with a grain of salt, but here is my theory. I think the earlier the better. It seems to be that way if you want to kill bigger bulls *heard bulls" too. I think if you can get them talking earlier in the month to mid september before they are hearded up they are more likely to be responsive. Plus they are not gonna have cows with them a majority of the time so they may not be reluctant to leave them. My hunting partner killed a bull on Sep 15 in 2010 and Sep 15 in 2011. I killed mine on Sep 16. He has also killed numerous bulls (at least a dozen) on that same week during the backcountry rifle season in MT. Only a few times did they have cows with them. Needless to say i'm a fan of the second week. Also everything I've read and been taught is hunt on either end of the full moon cycle.

Interested to see what others have had work and what they say. Good luck and welcome .
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Indian Summer » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

If I had to pick I'd go the second week 15th to 21st. By the 15th the action will be hot enough that there's really no reason at all to wait anyway. The only difference then is that it could be warmer on the earlier hunt. No guarantees of that though. The full moon is guaranteed right? Does it really matter?

Heck.... As far as action goes I wouldn't even mind hunting the first week except for the fact that I know it will be warm or even hot out. Bulls bugle in August. The poor guys have to wait all year for a date!

Good luck and whether you kill one or just learn some good lessons keep us posted on your hunt.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby otcWill » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I would go the third week. I have never noticed any significant affect of the moon on elk activity. When they rut, they rut! I have had some killer action during the second week as well. Can be spotty early but is probably the better time to kill a giant as they can be quite easy to pattern pre-rut. Good luck!
otcWill

Postby BrentLaBere » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Good question, I have been wondering the same thing. I am trying to plan my out of state hunt and my problem is I have a wedding to go to on the 21st of September. I would really like to be hunting that week, but now my decision comes down the second week or the fourth week of September. I am not sure what I am going to do yet and wont have to make a decision until I know if I get drawn for a special permit or use the general tag.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Austin, welcome bud! If I had to absolutely choose between 2nd week & 3rd week, it would be he 3rd week all the way. The Full Moon is a moot point, Rut trumps Full Moon any time! Plus it could be cloudy & then where's the moon. Point is 3rd week would be tops for us, find the elk at night if need be at that phase & you will be bulls nearly everyday. Hunt hard & do not limit yourself in distance or roughness of terrain. It doesn't get much better when a Full Moon falls during peak rut times.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ORelksniper » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Paul, I agree totally. In my area the elk are quiet, quiet, quiet during early season. The full moon during
the rut allows me and my bro to locate the bulls at night and hunt 'em hard in the morning. Also helps with evening
hunt set ups.
ORelksniper

Postby Swede » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I find no difference in elk activity during the full moon in either August or September. I killed my bull on August 30th this last year. I have killed as many elk during the full moon as during any other phase. These are 20 years of documented kills showing place, time and date. I have never got one yet, staying home; so forget the moon phase. Go hunting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 9]

BrentLaBere wrote:Good question, I have been wondering the same thing. I am trying to plan my out of state hunt and my problem is I have a wedding to go to on the 21st of September. I would really like to be hunting that week, but now my decision comes down the second week or the fourth week of September. I am not sure what I am going to do yet and wont have to make a decision until I know if I get drawn for a special permit or use the general tag.

What kind of true friend would ever plan a wedding during the rut!!!!?????

As for the moon phase, just hunt. Hot weather has more of an effect on elk behavior than the moon does. There are no best times, only all great times to hunt. Personally, I love to hunt the rut. But it is harder to call in the herd bulls once they are already into the cows. Pre rut is an excellent time for calling the big boys. And also the early part of the season is an excellent time for the silent calling tecnique. But no matter when you choose to hunt, you will have to adapt you hunting style to the situation.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby POk3s » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Another valid point is......you don't know what the bulls are going to be doing on any given day UNTIL it is that day. ON more than one occasion I have been into bugling bulls and been very hopeful for the next morning. It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow, we're supposed to have cloud cover, it's a day closer to the peak bla bla bla........and then that day gets here and they're silent.

I, however, hate during my area during the full moon lol. Seems like a lot of guys don't see a difference. I see a huge difference in my area. Maybe it's a coincidence in that it's hotter those days or any other multitude of reasons but I hate the full moon.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby cnelk » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 11]

POk3s wrote:I, however, hate during my area during the full moon lol.

Me too...
I been hunting my areas for about 23 years now and i dont know why or what, but i see a dip in rutting activity during the full moon phase.

But regardless of full moon, go with your gut as to what week is best.
Go when your home life, work, or other deciding factors tell you when its best to go.

Make the decision and go with it, second guessing yourself can wear a guy out...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby POk3s » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Just realized I made a typo now that I've been quoted.

For whatever reason it seams like there's a huge difference in the full moon or there's no difference. I heard hundreds of bugles during the first weekend of September one year and saw something like 80 elk. The full moon was the next weekend.....I heard ONE bugle and saw 3 elk. It can change on a dime and maybe the moon wasn't the reason. But I've seen huge dips in it during my area. With all that said.....it may not matter in the area you are hunting
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Coveyleader » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Here is my take.

If you don't know the area, the later the better, moon be damned. I've had some of the best hunts of my life (read two great bulls dead full moon) during a full moon so it doesn't even bother me.

1. If you don't know the area, and they're quiet, elk are hard to find....... Thats a fact.

2. If you don't know the area, and elk are talking, it makes it much easier to find them.

3. If you're after "Any" elk, the later the better. Sure that herd bull will be hard as hell to call in. Maybe impossible, but those little dink satelites and maybe another decent bull will come to calls like you wouldn't believe. You can blow your nose during peak rut (just outside the ring of the herd) and have those little 2 year rag horns come in running. I know, thats all I kill!!!!!!! ha!

Take care
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby easeup » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Coveyleader wrote:Here is my take.

If you don't know the area, the later the better, moon be damned. I've had some of the best hunts of my life (read two great bulls dead full moon) during a full moon so it doesn't even bother me.

1. If you don't know the area, and they're quiet, elk are hard to find....... Thats a fact.

2. If you don't know the area, and elk are talking, it makes it much easier to find them.

3. If you're after "Any" elk, the later the better. Sure that herd bull will be hard as hell to call in. Maybe impossible, but those little dink satelites and maybe another decent bull will come to calls like you wouldn't believe. You can blow your nose during peak rut (just outside the ring of the herd) and have those little 2 year rag horns come in running. I know, thats all I kill!!!!!!! ha!

Take care

well mr covey, those facts are sure 'nuff the truth from where I have been too.
easeup

Postby mongopino915 » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Anytime in September will do just fine as long as I am in the wood.

If there is such a week, it would be the week just prior to the full rut, full moon or not. In Colorado where I hunt, this typically means just before the MZ but it may not always be the case.
mongopino915

Postby Buglemaster » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I'm also in the "hate" category when the discussion of a full moon comes up.(punn intended)LOL.Most of the activity is in the dark & over with by the time it's light enough to shoot. BUT,,,,I have also had successful times during that dreaded 10 days. The earlier you go, the less bugling your going to hear & when I can hear them talking, my chances go way up.We are hoping to draw a quality unit this year & will probably pick the 10th-20th of Sept which will mean a pretty big moon for the majority of the time, but they will be talking. I live for that!!!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Indian Summer » 01 24, 2013 •  [Post 17]

"I have never noticed any significant affect of the moon on elk activity"

"I find no difference in elk activity during the full moon"

"maybe the moon wasn't the reason."

Hmm, now maybe we're getting somewhere. I've seen both. I bet we've all seen both because there are lots of other variables. Like Paul said... who cares about the moon if it's cloudy. Different bull to cow ratios can make a big difference too. I guess if there's a lower bull to cow ratio the moon could mean more as opposed to a better area with a high bull/cow ratio where the rut may trump the moon every time since competition is fierce.

0ne time I killed a lead cow 1 hour into the first day.... while a 5x6 bull was 25 yards away but offering no shot. I made my decision to take the first really good shot at any elk because I was busy that year and we live on elk meat. If I want any elk I'll hunt early when they are easy to pattern and pretty relaxed.

I used to say that if I could pick one day as the best it would be the 20th or 21st. I just happened to have some good luck over the years on or close to that day. To be fair though.... by the 20th not only do I feel a little pressure to get the job done but since I've been hunting awhile I also hopefully have some things figured out that I didn't know the week before.

There are lots of other factors and I think all of us have had seasons where hunters agreed the rut was on time this year or... the rut went late this season regardless of the moon.

I've had some hot action the first few days of 0ctober. My biggest bull came on 0ctober 5th. L0L???? Maybe they think the season ends on 9/31. Maybe it's good if a bull thinks it's his last chance for love until next year.... if you can find him. That bull only bugled 1 time from his bed before deciding to get up and walk straight to my two cow calls. He was alone.

I remember a thread once that asked.... if you could pick 10 days to hunt what would they be?

I'll take the 15th t the 25th. Somewhere in 10 days the moon won't matter, if it even mattered the first place. A little bit longer of a hunt during the 3rd week could be the best answer if the full moon is that week.

So to rephrase the question if I may: What 10 days would you pick?.... and since there can be a big difference between say Idaho and Arizona... maybe add why that works where you hunt.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ctdad » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Looking at a full moon this year during the third week of Sept and I'm going to be hunting in Montana where the archery season runs into Oct. For those of you who feel like the moon has had a negative effect on your hunting action, would you wait to go until late Sept/ early oct? or would you go third week in Sept anyway? Going earlier isn't a good option for me.
ctdad