Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho 2024

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho 2024

Postby 7mmfan » 12 01, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Anyone on here join the Non-Resident fiasco this morning? My group of 4 went in with high hopes, two of us emerged from the smoke and flames with deer tags. Better than nothing I guess.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: Idaho 2024

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 01, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Nada, nothing. It was an absolute train wreck.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 12 01, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I'll be hunting where my avatar buck was shot anyway, and have my then 7 year old there with me hopefully.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 12 01, 2023 •  [Post 4]

2024 isnt on my radar. The absolute best time to come to idaho is right now. Ive been posted up here for about 4 hours. A few inches of fresh snow just hit the ground, all the deer hunters went home this afternoon, and i have a lovely campfire going and a couple bottles of wine. Life doesnt get much better. When daylight breaks ill be crawling out of the bed of my truck and hiking up over the ridge to go hunt cougars, and maybe get into some hot wolf activity. Yes, life is good.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 12 01, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Did see a small bull moose, then a BIG bull moose, then a little forky mule today in the short time i spent here in daylight. Plenty of dog and cat food around. Hoping for the best, on a very low odds hunt.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 12 01, 2023 •  [Post 6]

So the wine is gone, but the camp fire is still gin strong. If anybody cares to bring another bottleof wine or two, illl drop a pin. Just sayin
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 12 02, 2023 •  [Post 7]

wawhitey wrote:So the wine is gone, but the camp fire is still gin strong. If anybody cares to bring another bottleof wine or two, illl drop a pin. Just sayin

If it wasn't 6 hours away and my wife wouldn't kill me I'd be there in a heartbeat. Or 6 to 8 hours. Good luck tomorrow. Good snow heading your way.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 12 02, 2023 •  [Post 8]

My how fast things can change. Last night, i was so optimistic. 3 inches or so of fresh snow, stopped right after dark, perfect. Wake up this morning and it apparently had been snowing while i slept, and it was coming down hard. Way worse than forecasted. Got one cold calling stand in, watching the snow pile up on me in the proccess. It was piling up really really fast
Started thinking about the fact that i forgot my chains, and getting worried that i wouldnt be able to get my truck out by evening, so i bailed out of the mountains and hit the lowlands by priest lake. Got 2 stands in. Didnt see much. Got out of there after dark and went to phone service, more snow tomorrow then rain rain rain every day. Wont help roads at all, and i also forgot to bring my wool bibs. Decided to tuck my tail between my legs and jam on home. If id brought my bibs and my quad or at least truck chains, i couldve gotten one more day of hunting in, but i still would have left when a week of rain started. Was kind of having buyers remorse shooting that cougar in my back yard, but the way this winter is shaping up, and the fact that im heading to alaska soon, i think its a good thing that i took what icould. Not missing out on much. Wont have good hunting conditions before i leave, and could be full on deep ugly winter by the time im home.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 03, 2023 •  [Post 9]

Thanks for the update mister. I understand, have the T shirt, for challenging bad weather in the mountains…. it’s a no win situation.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 12 06, 2023 •  [Post 10]

Love the updates, wish they could have been better for you!
Tigger