Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Late elk bugling

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Late elk bugling

Postby wawhitey » 11 05, 2023 •  [Post 1]

So this was really weird. Last day of elk season today. Saw a whole mess of elk on private on my way in to the public land where i parked at the gate and went up the mountain. Tracks and turds everywhere but super thick fog all day. Like couldnt see a broadside bull at 40 yards foggy. After 7+ hours of that i threw in the towel and came home. Now the weird part. Just a little bit ago, shortly after dark, i step out on my back porch and no joke i hear an elk bugle on the 240 acre chunk of timber company land nextdoor. This area has only started getting sporadic elk activity the last couple years. No way would the vaagen boys waste their time hunting elk here when they own so much good elk land, and why would somebody bugle after dark on the last day of the season, and on november 5th post rut? Had to be an actual elk. It was a pretty wimpy bugle, which makes me think maybe a cow. I had no idea cows bugled until spring of 2020 when a cow bugled in idaho while i was bear hunting. Got on here and told that story thinking i was crazy. Couple of you enlightened me that cows bugle too, and elk will occasionally bugle throughout the year. But what a weird thing to happen, after shooting light in november, last day of elk season. Halfway think i must be losing it.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Late elk bugling

Postby Swede » 11 05, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Don't worry; you are not losing it. The elk were just taunting you. They can read "No Hunting" signs and they get an advanced copy of the big game regulations. Better luck next season. You have all year now to plot your revenge.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 11 05, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Its just so strange, so many unlikely, uncommon things all at once.
An elk bugling on nov 5th
An elk bugling next door, when my neighborhood has very little, sporadic elk activity thats only really started the last couple years
Just after dark the last day of rifle season
And right when i happened to step outside

So many coincidences, unlikely things.

I step outside and hear wolves howling, lion whistling, buck grunting, its just expected. But an elk bugling on november 5th, and the last day of rifle elk, in my neighborhood thats only recently started to get a little sporadic elk activity, what are the odds?

But im certain thats what i heard, so either it happened, or you guys need to have me put in the nut house
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 05, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Contrary to popular belief, elk are vocal all year long. Yes, they are more vocal during the pre and peak of the rut when the majority of cows are coming into their estrus cycle. If there is a hot cow in the area, who didn’t “take” during the third week (peak of the rut) of OCT, they’ll come into a second, sometimes a third cycle which will keep a local bull(s) sounding off and competing for their affection.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 11 05, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Laying in bed. Window open. Just heard it again. Crazy.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 11 05, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Meet a fellow a few years back He bugles and cow calls through all seasons
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 11 08, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Back to the nuthouse for you again wawhitey!

Coyotes and elk bugles....I could listen to them for a long time before getting bored.
Tigger