Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

SW MT Rifle Late Season

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

SW MT Rifle Late Season

Postby rvanbw00 » 10 26, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Hey Fellas,
Myself and a buddy of mine are headed back to SW MT to try and fill tags with a rifle the week of Thanksgiving. We have been archery hunting the region over the last decade with some success, many encounters. We are familiar with the area and the conditions in/around the rut, with little snow and certainly different temperatures. Not having rifle hunted, or hunted post rut for that matter, we are trying to relearn the game so to speak.

We are aware that weather will have the biggest impact on elk elevation and where they might be in regards to migration. Are we best to just begin as high as we can get (4x4 vehicle then on foot) and work our way down? My thoughts are to begin where we were in elk in September (realizing that the cows likely have dropped elevation, but bulls may be hanging out high still).

Any feedback is appreciated!

Ryan
rvanbw00

Re: SW MT Rifle Late Season

Postby Tigger » 10 26, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I know a group that hunts that area for rifle. Email me.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 10 26, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Is it bull or any elk?

It's all about the weather
Two years ago I killed my muzzleloader elk at about 6400 feet,, no snow, rain an fog in December the elk were bedding in September lo0cations,,,, near the valley

This morning, where I had my camp Friday Sat Sun Monday this morning 12 inches of snow, and the antelope were migrating out of the high valley.
Consider snowmobiles or asking the locals for permission on private ground.
Late season can be brutal, with 2-4 feet of snow and frigid temps: late 90's we woke to 12 inches of new snow, on top of 20 inches and -18 degrees. I think I was the only one who hunted that morning, other slept in and I came back to camp for the early lunch
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby MidwestHunter » 11 08, 2023 •  [Post 4]

SW Montana is a little vague.

Where I hunt in SW Montana, there is a good mix of terrain. From rolling ranches, to dark timber in the mountains. On the ranches (some are BMA'S) there are resident elk herds that stay and graze. They are there in 70 degree weather, and there in 0 degree weather. The only thing that will move them around is pressure from hunters. I am not sure whether you are only after a bull, some of these large herds may have already had the legal bulls picked out of the herd. I like to start with where I can cover the most ground (open areas where I can glass a ton of land). I resort to the timbered areas later if I don't come up with anything.

I wouldn't overlook and pass on BMA'S just because they don't "look elky". Might be worth spending some time glassing from different vantage points.

If there is snow, you can check your typical archery areas, and should be able to tell if there is a lot of activity.
MidwestHunter