Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Montana bound.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Montana bound.

Postby Lefty » 10 17, 2023 •  [Post 1]

This weekend Im headed out to where I shot my first bull elk in 1991. I have a Monatan Combo , so Im taking goose decoys too, I want to try something goose hunhting. basically sitting on BLM land in the middle of even poor antelope alkal ground.
Im also going to sit at "Dicks Tree"
Thirty two years ago Dick actually sent me out into a mountian flat, and after sitting there for a bit over an hour, a bull crossed 1/2 mile away then walk towards me where I dropped him at 39 yards
Dick was a hardcore Minnesota hunter who hunted the world. When He was too old to walk mountians,,, he sat beside his tree
Dick was an ole timer that at one time had the "Worlds largest elk" ( killed in Russia) and was in Cabelas catalog pimping their boots in the early 90's. I guessing Dick has passed from this world some time ago.

I bought a new Ameristep Brickhouse blind, Ill have a chair and maybe even a Buddy heater and a stack of unread Bugle, Trapper Post, DU, and American Rifleman Magazoince if it gets too cold. I always think Ill read,,, but Im too wired hunting. During the deer hunt , Three days I read one areticle in the the NRA's magazine about snow geese :lol:
I also have a sleeping bag,, This trip,,, so maybe I might find time to nap :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Montana bound.

Postby Tigger » 10 17, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Best of luck to ya!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 17, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Best wishes. Keep us posted on how it is going.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 17, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Aim small, miss small brother. Go get em.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Billy Goat » 10 18, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Godspeed brother!
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby 7mmfan » 10 18, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Good luck Lefty.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 10 19, 2023 •  [Post 7]

"I" discovered Im not ready,,, my wife had a mie long Honey Do list
My list
The yard is perfect and fixed the mower, fallen leaves and pruning pile is gone
Pasture irrigation pipe stored for winter
Shopbarn ready to hang more game from the meat hooks
The Garden was mostly cleaned up Picked the rest of the tomatoes peppers zucchini and squash
greased the trailer bearings Kill an Idaho buck
kill my Idaho Antelope
Visit my father-in-law a few times ( he wants to die before tomorrow, my MIL passing date)

My wife had the carpet replaced in September, I wanted her to wait until after my Montana hunts.
But No

she thought :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: She could get everything ready for the carpet layers amd our house ready to sell ( She decided we dont need our multi-level house ( we dont)

Anyway Im not leaving this morning. I over worked myself the past week, my back hurts :P But I decided Ill take the little Honda generator , I hopping to get my bull sooner than later, and maybe kill some Montaan waterfowl
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 10 19, 2023 •  [Post 8]

Wow that didnt go as planned. Our community water system had a leak and only 2 of us were around to help. Didnt get the water going until 4:00 .
So no goose hunting in the morning.
Il leave when I wake up
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 10 20, 2023 •  [Post 9]

Some trips sure have their difficulties getting started. A few years back I had to fly out for work in the week prior to coming to Idaho to hunt. I got home 2 days before I was set to leave, and came down with the flu. I got the crud out, slammed some Gatorade and hit the road in the early AM. My Dad's utility trailer blew a tire in eastern WA, no big deal, got it changed. Then lost a bearing in Montana, at least we were close to Missoula. Got that fixed later that day luckily, and slid into camp late in the evening to hunt the next day. We had a great trip.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 10 23, 2023 •  [Post 10]

I've passed on a few deer.
Is Montana rifle season isn't quite what I expected it would be and certainly not what I remember it as.

I had it up the two track then up a 50-in ATV trail just slightly over 3 miles. I passed 14 ATVs parked along the trail with guys at it headed in.
Three guys from North Dakota had two elk.
The guys that spend a lot of time here saying not much is happening.
Lefty