Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How do you carry your bow?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby mandrroofing » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hey Guys,Last year i carryed my bow on my pack and it got banged up pretty good.How do you all carry your bow in the field?
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby Herb » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I use a Primos bow sling, rides pretty good on my side.

Otherwise it's in hand, which it often is to some extent while it is in the sling, but the sling will give you a break from the constant weight, while still able to move it to avoid obstacles.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Re: How do you carry your bow?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Always in my hand when hiking/hunting. Primos Bow Sling when on the quad or MT bike.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

In hand or in the case
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkoholic » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I always carry it in my hand. You never know what you can stumble across
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby mandrroofing » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Is the sling quick and easy to remove?
mandrroofing

Postby cnelk » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

mandrroofing wrote:Is the sling quick and easy to remove?

Very easy and quick

I use that or strap on my pack for long hikes in the dark. Nice to have 'hands free'
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I have a sling, but almost always carry my bow by the string.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wideangle » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 9]

In my hand.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby mandrroofing » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 10]

This actually bit me last year.I was slowly moving through the brush cow calling,as this being my first elk season and not knowing better I had my bow on my pack and had a nice bull wheel up on me and was unable to remove my bow in time,lesson learned!
mandrroofing

Postby FemoralArchery » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Always in hand until after all tags have been filled. No better way to get an animal in range than to have your weapon inaccessible.

Even while driving. Many a foot pursuit has originated while driving to a hunting area, usually grouse, but you never know when that bull will run across the road.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby planebow » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Always in my hand when I am hunting, learned my leason last year. Cow tag in pocket but setting by a tree with my bow laying on the ground in front of me, cow runs up and stops broad side at 20 yards looking the other way, did not quite get the bow up and she was gone. I do fasten it on my pack after dark on the walk out.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Heartwood » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 13]

When hiking in the dark it is usually on my pack especially if the going is rough. Hiking during the day but not specifically working or hunting a bull I carry it on my shoulder, wedged between the sight and stubby stabilizer and my pack. It sits this way quite well and I can let go of it when glassing or walking at a moderate pace as long as the going is friendly. When actually hunting or working a bull it is in hand. Tried slings and didn't like them, just another of many extra pieces of gear to weight a guy down. Hope my new elite bow carries as nice as my old drenalin does.
Heartwood

Last Name: Houle

Postby foxvalley » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 14]

On the trail bike,the primos bow sling is the answer.It snaps around your cams,and around your string to protect it. Comes off real fast.Bow in hand while hunting.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 15]

No slings for us. Bow is carried in hand during hunts. After hunting or in the dark it straps to back of my X2.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkmtngear » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I carry mine by looping my fingers around the cables (sometimes the string). SLIP System trekking pole/ elk decoy in the other hand.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby stringunner » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 17]

primos bow sling and/or strapped to my x2 pack when walking in or out in dark, or after the tag is punched. when day light its in hand.
stringunner

Postby mandrroofing » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 18]

So when carrying in hand,does your bow get banged up pretty good from rocks and such?
mandrroofing

Postby buglmin » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I'm thinking of hiring someone this fall to carry my bow for me...that way, I'm hands free to eat, play with the video camera, or just walk with my hands in my pockets...whatta you guys think? Gotta be someone that dont trip as often as I do, dont bowhunt so I dont have to worry bout him shooting my bow, and someone that has better hearing then me...think I'll hire a high school kid before they graduate and forget everything...
buglmin

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 20]

No problems with carrying my bow in hand at all, heck I prefer it that way! Nothing worse than action coming upon you quickly & sling has to be removed or unlashed from ones pack. Not knocking slings but they're not for me.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Wapiti » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I prefer to be hands free as I hate always putting my bow on the wet ground to bugle to elk !! I use my own bow sling that I invented a couple years ago !! Mine hangs from my shoulder strap off my cat quiver. My sling hangs any height from chest to your waist and my bow is ready and waiting when you want it. No more putting your bow down. I never want to be without my "Bow Getter Bow Sling " ever !! I'll see if I can get some to Paul and see what a few of you guys think of it !! Trav
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 18, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Travis, please do send your sling & we'll check it it out sir. I will give it an honest review, can't wait to see it!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Ridgernr » 01 18, 2013 •  [Post 23]

I have used the primos sling but I find it to cumbersome, just another thing to deal with. Travis yours sounds interesting.
Does it stay attached to your pack yet out of the way?
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby dapper » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 24]

In my hand while hunting. In a soft padded case strapped to my backpack when packing in. The case later becomes part of my sleeping pad.

Dan
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby mandrroofing » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 25]

what soft padding are you speaking of of you done mind?Homemade?
mandrroofing

Postby Wapiti » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Ridgernr wrote: Travis yours sounds interesting. Does it stay attached to your pack yet out of the way?

Thanks for the question Ridgernr !! Yes it stay's attached to my shoulder strap of my cat quiver and hooks into a loop on my pack at my waist when not in use. It's great for walking in and out and sneaking down game trails while calling hands free !!

I am going to send some to Paul and he can give them out to his field staff to try out !! The only draw back is you must have shoulder straps on your pack as it will not work with a fanny pack. I'm sure most guys and gals use backpacks anyways !!

Cheers Travis
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Do you hsve any pictures of it Wapiti?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ctdad » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 28]

I've used the hunter specialty bow sling the last two years. I've since disposed of my primos sling. H/S sling attached at the limb pockets and doesn't have to be removed to shoot (I simply loop it over my quiver). I can shoot as quickly when carrying the sling over my shoulder as I can just carrying the bow in hand (no I haven't timed this, but it is darn close either way). I carry bow half the time and use sling about half the time.
ctdad

Postby Coveyleader » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 29]

I carry it right by the bottom limb over my shoulder. A friend had one of those "Primos" slings, and I wanted to hang him with hit. It took forever to get that thing off. The only thing that thing was good for was a make shift "Hamock".
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby Wapiti » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 30]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Do you hsve any pictures of it Wapiti?

That's a great question !! I always seem to be hunting alone so I never think to take pictures !! Plus I would break the camera !! LOL But I'll see what I can do to get some for you. I'm sure I must have some. If not i'll gear up for you guys and then take some pic's !! Hey maybe i'll call in an elk in mid january alberta !!! LOL
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby foxvalley » 01 21, 2013 •  [Post 31]

buglmin wrote:I'm thinking of hiring someone this fall to carry my bow for me...that way, I'm hands free to eat, play with the video camera, or just walk with my hands in my pockets...whatta you guys think? Gotta be someone that dont trip as often as I do, dont bowhunt so I dont have to worry bout him shooting my bow, and someone that has better hearing then me...think I'll hire a high school kid before they graduate and forget everything...

Thats a great idea! A bowbana boy! We have gesha girls in our spike camp doing the laundry and cooking.......
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby cantgetdrawn » 01 21, 2013 •  [Post 32]

I've always carried my bow in my hand. A couple of weeks ago I went on an Ibex hunt and found that I needed both hands free to just get around. I broke my quiver and 2 arrows after about a dozen falls.

Another hunter fixed my quiver and I started strapping my bow to my pack. I still ended up falling on the loose rocks and rough terrain, which banged up my cams. I regret not having a bow cover or sling to protect the cams. I ended up breaking one more arrow and losing 2 more, all in thick cover while the bow was strapped to my pack.
cantgetdrawn