Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How do you play the wind

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How do you play the wind

Postby Lefty » 09 10, 2023 •  [Post 1]

When there isn't any wind or the light winds just seem to swirl in a basin, or draw.

So how do you play the wind when there isn't any?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: How do you play the wind

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 12, 2023 •  [Post 2]

No wind? HA! Your scent is always drifting somewhere regardless of if you can detect wind movement or not. I will agree that (still) mid-day conditions can be tough. However thermals are easy to work during the morning and evening hours.
>>>---WW---->

Re: How do you play the wind

Postby Lefty » 09 19, 2023 •  [Post 3]

>>>---WW----> wrote:No wind? HA! Your scent is always drifting somewhere regardless of if you can detect wind movement or not. I will agree that (still) mid-day conditions can be tough. However thermals are easy to work during the morning and evening hours.

We've continued on and did the best we could and kept hunting. We are kind of Eastern style whitetail freaks. And give our scent control / body odor stink a run for its money.
We have had some elk hold up relatively close 30 yards or so,suspecting The elk were smelling us
I really tried to get a picture of Andrew.

I had cows and calves 11 to 16 yards away. Andrew lying on his back, actually had a cow sniffing his feet and another cow that was kind of poking around his head .
I had concerns that he's was going to get stepped or stomped on
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H