Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Would You?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Would You?

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2023 •  [Post 1]

It was a cold afternoon years ago about a month after the close of archery season. It was blustery and the snow was going sideways when I come up ove the canyon rim. There was less than one hundred yards to get to the road. Just as I approached that road near my truck a hunter I knew came driving up with his friend. The hunter rolled down his window and asked, "what are you doing out here". I answered "I am scouting for the next archery season. I wanted to get in one more hike down into the canyon before we get snowed out," was my answer. Over the years I have done things like this many, many times. I believe good scouting is a major contributor to hunting success. Often it is a cheap way to extend your hunting time.
This year my son has asked me to come back and camp cook and scout my hunting area some more if I have already filled my elk tag. I said I would, and "I still have a deer and bear tag I could try to fill".
Would you do things like this after filling your tag or is it too much of a pain? If your family would not understand, I know it would make staying longer much more difficult.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Would You?

Postby Tigger » 08 17, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I would, but family obligations and vacation from work would prohibit me from doing it!
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 08 17, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Absolutely, and have many times. Time of year and distance from home play a roll in whether you can or not, but if I have the ability to join a friend on a hunt only he can participate in, or just go spend time in my hunt area outside the season you bet I'm there. I particularly like winter time scouting where its ok to do so without pressuring animals. You can learn a lot when all the leaves are down and visibility is much better.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 08 17, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Would i go hunting with somebody after ive tagged out? If i have the time, of course. Did it twice this week had one very exciting encounter that shouldve been a dead bear at 20 yards, but there were some communication issues or something. Still a good time for both of us. Those kinds of things are always great fun, even if the trigger doesnt get pulled. That was monday afternoon. Today was a dud. Managed to call in a doe with fawn distress, and that was the whole of the excitement for the day. But even without a rifle or tag in my own hand, i can enjoy the hunt
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 08 18, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I have plenty of standing invitations.

As long as my wife is OK with it,, I'll stay in others camps
I would be nice to have our elk early. and spend some time in others camps
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 19, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Absolutely. Hopefully I can do it this year. I have to work some during the end of the month but hoping to have mine by the time my brother in laws come up for there time off towards the end of the season
Elkhunttoo