Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Share some excitement from the past

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Share some excitement from the past

Postby Lefty » 08 03, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Five years back:
Early season Mid afternoon my daughter wanted to chase a 3x3 piebald buck. The brush was thick, the buck knew I was there but didnt know about my daughter who was even closer. Well the stalk fell apart and the deer moved off. 100 yards past where we lost the buck was a miss mash of thick downfall and tall berry bushes. I set back 20 some yards behingd my daughter. She was to set up on the main trail paralleling the hillside. We let the woods quiet down for a few minutes and I saw her head nod,
She was ready
I let out a light location bugle. 250 or more yards away the woods woke up, popping and snapping sounded like a herd of cows. I could see movement, lots of movement,,,then antlers working there way through the trees.

Three bulls charging right at us. The first bull , the smallest 6x6 of the three bulls.
Was it stopped right on top of her?
The biggest bull pushed his way through the cover and stopped, staring my direction, The sweetest 20 yard frontal you can imagine for me.
I see head, hat and bow limb slowly moving. 3, seconds, 5 seconds 8 seconds..

Im thinking shoot. I am completely passing on a gimmee shot for me on a dream bull. ,,, I want to see her make the shot on the "smaller , 6x6.
the middle sized bull is working his way up between his buddies.
I hear the release, And lots of noise. her bull takes off skirting past the other two bulls heading up hill while the other bull head back the direction the came from The arrow was nearby , Then she tells me the was looking at the braodhead and hadnt aimed. The arrow went through the rough of the back,,, nothing but skin

IMG_0155.JPG
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H